Our Board?

jakez4ut

Patience... It's what's for dinner
gotta make, what, 8 out of this? i'm sure i've left someone,or more, off these lists, but these seem to get the most attention around here....

WR:
Jacob Copeland
Tre Harrison

Antoine Green
Young

DB:
OG
ITS
Eddie Smith

Trevon Flowers (s)
Josh Moore (s)

LB:
Quay Walker
JJ Peterson

OL:
Dylan wonnum
Ryan Winkel

DL:
Otto Ogbinnia
Malik Langham
Kurott Garland
John Mincey
Connys Miller

RB:
Jayshon Corbin
Anthony Grant

Cbo Flemister

TE:
Glenn Beal

QB:
GT--Keller Chryst
GT--Alex Thomson

Reactions: 2 people
Start in the trenches and your way out?

yeah, i think that's been the plan, given how the ESD went, and that we're still trying to add both OL and DL.

i figured they'd like to get at least 2 more DL, doubtful on Miller, but maybe you want Langham and OO or Mincey...or if ML is out... then you'd take OO and Mincey? utopia...Langham and Miller want in.:)

1 OL, whichever one says yes.

you're going to take both LB's if Walker is on board.

then 1 RB, 1 WR (young already committed) and Beal if he wants in?

and you'd want at least two DB's...OG or ITS and....Smith? what if ITS comes and visits and is on board, you definitely take ITS AND OG. (i'd like to have that problem to solve)

i just feel like someone has to be out. my gut says Beal. i would think they want some more depth at RB, and would take Harrison or Copeland if they want in.

Last edited:
here's how i see it...

top of the board, you say "yes" if they want in:
OG
ITS
Langham
Miller
Copeland
Harrison
Walker

and i think based on that, then you can start making some other decisions. and that still might not work b/c you have Young and Peterson committed. that would put us 1 over, right?

so, the other unknown is how many of these kids have communicated their intentions to the staff...ye or ne....either way, just need to know at some point....

possibly why we haven't seen any other commitments o/t Young's and Peterson's.

gotta make, what, 8 out of this? i'm sure i've left someone,or more, off these lists, but these seem to get the most attention around here....

WR:
Jacob Copeland
Tre Harrison

Antoine Green
Young

DB:
OG
ITS
Eddie Smith

Trevon Flowers (s)
Josh Moore (s)

LB:
Quay Walker
JJ Peterson

OL:
Dylan wonnum
Ryan Winkel

DL:
Otto Ogbinnia
Malik Langham
Kurott Garland
John Mincey
Connys Miller

RB:
Jayshon Corbin
Anthony Grant
Cbo Flemister

TE:
Glenn Beal

QB:
GT--Keller Chryst
GT--Alex Thomson
My opinion. I honestly don't know who would be #8. I thought it might be Flemister, but that was assuming we were recruiting Grant as a DB. Now that we know were perusing Grant as a RB, I don't think he's a take any more. Maybe one of the GT quarterbacks.

My opinion. I honestly don't know who would be #8. I thought it might be Flemister, but that was assuming we were recruiting Grant as a DB. Now that we know were perusing Grant as a RB, I don't think he's a take any more. Maybe one of the GT quarterbacks.

i listed the GT QB's, but if they do take one, they'll likely blue shirt. so they'd count on the 19 cycle. not really for that. but if they do, that's what we've been led to believe will happen.

and i gotta think they want DL. i can't see NSD coming and going and not another DL signed.

my gut says Young is the only WR we take.

we get OG and Eddie Smith.

Quay and JJ.

Winkel.

Mincey and Grant.

and i could see Grant being processed if you have a legit shot at getting OO, ML, or CM....throw ITS in that group too.

to me, if you were going to blue shirt, i'd rather blue shirt one of these incoming guys vs. a Grad Transfer. at least you'll get that kid 3-4 years, so that spot you give up next cycle is filled by a guy actually capable of being a contributor on the team for the foreseeable future. maybe Beal is a candidate for that? who knows.

spots and time getting tight....

i listed the GT QB's, but if they do take one, they'll likely blue shirt. so they'd count on the 19 cycle. not really for that. but if they do, that's what we've been led to believe will happen.

and i gotta think they want DL. i can't see NSD coming and going and not another DL signed.

my gut says Young is the only WR we take.

we get OG and Eddie Smith.

Quay and JJ.

Winkel.

Mincey and Grant.

and i could see Grant being processed if you have a legit shot at getting OO, ML, or CM....throw ITS in that group too.

to me, if you were going to blue shirt, i'd rather blue shirt one of these incoming guys vs. a Grad Transfer. at least you'll get that kid 3-4 years, so that spot you give up next cycle is filled by a guy actually capable of being a contributor on the team for the foreseeable future. maybe Beal is a candidate for that? who knows.

spots and time getting tight....
I'm still confused on the rules on the grad transfers. I do know that I don't want any more blue/grey shirts. That's what has cost us numbers in this class. Agree that we need another DL. Maybe that 8th goes to the best available regards of position.

I'm still confused on the rules on the grad transfers. I do know that I don't want any more blue/grey shirts. That's what has cost us numbers in this class. Agree that we need another DL. Maybe that 8th goes to the best available regards of position.

most of the "shirting" has been more clearly defined, though i admit, i'm still fuzzy on some of it.

my understanding is the biggest thing that's changed, is there's no more back counting...meaning you can't take a transfer or EE and count them in the previous year's class.

if you blue shirt, they count in the next cycle. EE's count in THAT YEAR's cycle. fuzzy on a grey shirt?

that's my basic understanding of it at this point. there's been a lot of talk/debate about it, but i don't think that's the wrong assertion.

and with the hard cap of 25 signees per class, you won't ever sign MORE than 25 in a class, regardless. and you can't at any point have more than 85 scholarship players on the roster, even though you can sign 100 players over a 4 year period. there will be years you would HAVE to sign less than 25 depending on where you are on your 85, and your attrition rate year to year.

so a blue shirt counts against next year's 25, and your current 85, and the 85 as long as he eligible and an active roster member. an EE counts on this year's 25/85 and as long he's eligible and active.

**if any of that is wrong, anyone feel free to correct**

Last edited:
most of the "shirting" has been more clearly defined, though i admit, i'm still fuzzy on some of it.

my understanding is the biggest thing that's changed, is there's no more back counting...meaning you can't take a transfer or EE and count them in the previous year's class.

if you blue shirt, they count in the next cycle.

that's my basic understanding of it at this point. there's been a lot of talk/debate about it, but i don't think that's the wrong assertion.

and with the hard cap of 25 signees per class, you won't ever sign MORE than 25 in a class, regardless. and you can't at any point have more than 85 scholarship players on the roster, even though you can sign 100 players over a 4 year period.

so a blue shirt counts against next year's 25, and your current 85, and the 85 as long as he eligible and an active roster member.

I get the basic idea, although I don't really know the difference, if their is any, between a blue and a grey shirt. They seem to be more or less the same thing.

I'm just over the whole idea. I don't like having to take smaller classes because of giving spots to guys who never make any significant contribution, or in some cases didn't even make it to fall camp. I think the Butch Jones era has just soured me on the idea. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Sooner or later it catches up with you, and that's where Jones has left us.

I get the basic idea, although I don't really know the difference, if their is any, between a blue and a grey shirt. They seem to be more or less the same thing.

I'm just over the whole idea. I don't like having to take smaller classes because of giving spots to guys who never make any significant contribution, or in some cases didn't even make it to fall camp. I think the Butch Jones era has just soured me on the idea. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Sooner or later it catches up with you, and that's where Jones has left us.

well, it wasn't as penal as it is now. but yeah, while some still talk about how talented the roster is because of CBJ's recruiting, the reality is, a lot of that is bolstered by the sheer #'s he signed those two years....and the fuzzy math used to make that happen.

and a good portion of that talent never panned out, or is no longer on campus. there's not a ton of RS JR's Sr's that we probably could have/should have seen from those classes. and we still don't have the depth we need.

it's definitely "cleaner" now. that much is certain to me.

if you blue shirt, they count in the next cycle. EE's count in THAT YEAR's cycle. fuzzy on a grey shirt?

and with the hard cap of 25 signees per class, you won't ever sign MORE than 25 in a class, regardless. and you can't at any point have more than 85 scholarship players on the roster, even though you can sign 100 players over a 4 year period. there will be years you would HAVE to sign less than 25 depending on where you are on your 85, and your attrition rate year to year.

so a blue shirt counts against next year's 25, and your current 85, and the 85 as long as he eligible and an active roster member. an EE counts on this year's 25/85 and as long he's eligible and active.

You can back count. It is basically a 3 year running cycle. You can back count to the previous and you can "blue shirt" count forward to the next class but it has to all fit into a 25 per year limit.

Let's say you signed 23 last year. You could sign 27 this year and more if you want to count towards the next class. After you cycle through that previous year you would now be onto the next cycle of 3 year and making sure the numbers are at no more than 75 for the 3 years.

Reactions: 1 person
actual number able to sign in this class is still the X factor...I definitely believe DB, OL, and DL are the priorities...heck, before it's done we may have a few more transfers out that would change everything...:)

GO VOLS!

actual number able to sign in this class is still the X factor...I definitely believe DB, OL, and DL are the priorities...heck, before it's done we may have a few more transfers out that would change everything...:)

GO VOLS!

I don't believe that would change the number we can take this cycle, only the 85 limit. And by my count we're good there already.

You can back count. It is basically a 3 year running cycle. You can back count to the previous and you can "blue shirt" count forward to the next class but it has to all fit into a 25 per year limit.

Let's say you signed 23 last year. You could sign 27 this year and more if you want to count towards the next class. After you cycle through that previous year you would now be onto the next cycle of 3 year and making sure the numbers are at no more than 75 for the 3 years.

I thought back counting had been eliminated :unsure:

you know as i read more about it, there's not a whole lot that's changed. the new rules are aimed at eliminating grey shirting, but apparently you can still back count EE's if you have the room to do so from last year's class.

blueshirting and counting forward, still allowed, and maybe will be more popular, but doesn't appear much has changed.

you can't back count non qualifiers. so if you sign a kid that winds up not qualifying, tough. you're stuck with that spot being filled. it also allows you to still keep a kid on scholarship that gets injured, and can't play, and not count against the 25.

there's still some maneuvering programs can do to get to the 25. i think some of the timing of when you have to be at 25 is different as well, given the two signing periods.

but you're right. it needs to average out to 25/year...year to year.

i don't think you'll see the 30+ classes we've seen in the past anymore.

probably 23-27 kids a year, for most any school, so long as you're managing that 25/year average for last year, this year, next year.......like you said....3 year running average...

thanks.

I thought back counting had been eliminated :unsure:

me too. but apparently not. there's not a lot out there (that i could find) that says anything AGAINST back counting EE's so long as you didn't sign 25 last year.

and up to 5 can be back counted apparently. not sure how many will actually see that ever come to fruition these days....but if you did sign 22 last year, and you have 5EE's, you can count 3 of them in last year's class to get it to 25.

so for this year, you have 5 EE's, 3 count to last year, and you can still sign up to 23 for this year's class, bringing the "actual" up to 28.

then next year you could only sign 22 again.

Just curious... why ... ignore the two transfer quarterbacks? Do you not think that we want either one ... how do we explain the offers? Thanks for your insight!

Just curious... why ... ignore the two transfer quarterbacks? Do you not think that we want either one ... how do we explain the offers? Thanks for your insight!

Depth concerns and competition...they'd only take 1, and he'd likely go against next years class (blue shirt). Probably won't decide til spring..

VN Store

Back