1 second left and you don't offer any defense?

Key cost us the game on that play. Her lack of basketball IQ compounded by the total ineptitude of our coaches was truly embarrassing.

Send them all packing.

Key is "lacking" for sure, I don't know if this is on the coaches. Sometimes you just have players that never "get it".

I'm not convinced the staff thought there was no time for a catch and shoot, thinking only a lob was possible. If that's the case it was even worse.
If that was the case, it would only make sense she would have been positioned under the basket. Look where she was standing! She was out near the 3 point line, no where close to anyone, looking towards the sidelines for instruction. Clueless. I’ve never seen anything as poorly executed in my life.

How could at least 1 of the coaches not see Key in dreamland and call a quick timeout before the ball was inbounded?
Those of you blaming Key need to go back and watch the replay. CKH pointed and yelled twice at Key, "At the rim. At the rim".

Reactions: travis929
We are all fans maybe a few coaches on here. With 1 sec left in a game is there any one on here that would leave a player unguarded for any reason.
Simply put, the ball should have been swarmed as soon as it was inbounded. It was not mathematically possible for another pass to happen; therefore, leaving anyone with a wide open look was just dumb.

There is no defending not guarding the inbounds passer. With only 1.1 seconds the pass has to be perfect to even get a shot off. Had we had someone guarding inbounds passer it is probably over. And with 1.1 seconds left you simply put a person on a person. And we bailed them
out by fouling at half court with 1.1 left. Some folks actually said that was smart, no it wasn’t smart at all. But once we did Kellie left a timeout on the table, and we get the no defend anything play. Hey it happens, I just wish folks would quit acting like we didn’t make any mistakes there. And especially the ones saying we played it right. We were far and away from playing it right. If would hope we would not play it that way again in the same situation.

If anything, Jackson wasn't guarding anyone. I have no idea what her assignment was though. It was a combination of errors. Getting behind early, missed FTs at the end, leaving Cardoso open, and not calling timeout when you see your defense not set. Great teams find ways to win. It was Cardoso's first 3-pointer all year.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
How do you 'swarm' when you don't know who will be receiving the inbound pass in 1.1 seconds?!
Both Rickea and TK were slow to react no question. But I don't think either could have made it close enough to Kamilla to have an effect on the shot in 1 second, though Rickea is pretty quick lol. Still I wish they had made a stab, bc the just standing there is fueling so, so much nonsense. Of course they couldn't risk a foul with Dawn's whistles lurking around there either.

We were covering their high percentage shot risks and the lowest possible risk was Cordusa out high. She made the shot, though, so props to her.

I do see the value of putting someone on the inbound passer, though.

Both Rickea and TK were slow to react no question. But I don't think either could have made it close enough to Kamilla to have an effect on the shot in 1 second, though Rickea is pretty quick lol. Still I wish they had made a stab, bc the just standing there is fueling so, so much nonsense. Of course they couldn't risk a foul with Dawn's whistles lurking around there either.

We were covering their high percentage shot risks and the lowest possible risk was Cordusa out high. She made the shot, though, so props to her.

I do see the value of putting someone on the inbound passer, though.
Rickea really wasn't covering anyone, seemed to tentatively swat toward the inbounds, maybe Raven was her assignment. But once the pass went to Kamilla, no one else was going to be a factor. The fact that neither RJ or TK reacted at all has caused the hell. And totally wasn't KJH fault. And brutal to define Rickea after the game she had.

While I understand not calling the t.o., in hindsight calling it to get Jill in to guard the inbound would have been worth the risk of Dawn drawing up a play. Which she did anyway wo the to. Jeeze.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
Rickea really wasn't covering anyone, seemed to tentatively swat toward the inbounds, maybe Raven was her assignment. But once the pass went to Kamilla, no one else was going to be a factor. The fact that neither RJ or TK reacted at all has caused the hell. And totally wasn't KJH fault. And brutal to define Rickea after the game she had.

While I understand not calling the t.o., in hindsight calling it to get Jill in to guard the inbound would have been worth the risk of Dawn drawing up a play. Which she did anyway wo the to. Jeeze.
That play again was on Jackson no one else. She is the only one standing there right there with Cardoso. To me it look like she unsure what to do or forgot to guard Cardoso

Reactions: Rocky Top T
On a different board, Brian Rice said Rickea was supposed to 'mark' Carduso whatever that means. I'm not sure what good that does. Like you said, you didn't want to give those officials a chance to call a shooting foul.

How do you 'swarm' when you don't know who will be receiving the inbound pass in 1.1 seconds?!
The pass traveled from side court near half court to just inside the 3 point line at the top of the key. It had to travel a while. As soon as the inbounds pass was made, everyone could see where it was going. Defenders should have sprinted to that spot instead of watching it all happen.

On a different board, Brian Rice said Rickea was supposed to 'mark' Carduso whatever that means. I'm not sure what good that does. Like you said, you didn't want to give those officials a chance to call a shooting foul.
So they never intended to guard the inbound. Doesn't seem like a good decision.

Kellie did say they wanted to get Rickea "back into the play".

Wouldn't have mattered if the double dribble had been called or poor JP hits the fts. Do you think she missed the second on purpose? Also, was Jewel supposed to foul?

...and done what? BTW, I don't believe we have anyone that quick. You certainly don't want to foul which would have been a risk with players running towards her.

The pass traveled from side court near half court to just inside the 3 point line at the top of the key. It had to travel a while. As soon as the inbounds pass was made, everyone could see where it was going. Defenders should have sprinted to that spot instead of watching it all happen.

VN Store

Back