'15 GA WR Christian Owens

“The visit was good. … I just wanted to take a little closer look (at Tennessee),” said Owens, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 288 overall prospect and No. 36 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class.

“I participated in their little camp, catching a couple of balls with the UT receivers for the quarterback camp they had this weekend.”

The 6-foot-5, 207-pound Owens said he also “got a chance to hang out with an old buddy” — Tennessee freshman safety*Cortez McDowell, a former standout at Locust Grove (Ga.) High School. Owens said he enjoyed catching up with McDowell, who had good things to say about his first two weeks with the Vols.

This guy is 6'5" and can catch and run. He could play right away. Plus he is a great well manner young man.
I wish so much he would change his Mind and come to UT. I talked with him last week and he loved his visit here and loved Coach Jones.

Last edited:
Caught balls with the UT receivers for the camp? So the campers were throwing passes to North and Malone? Interesting.

hes 6'5...he could never be a WR. He must be a Tight end. or a strong side DE. def cant be a RB. Jalen Hurd is also too tall. VN Logic

Last edited:
I feel like Kyle Oliver will play the role he was recruited for. Of course, this is just my opinion and will not throw out any conjecture or debate if we have room.

I feel like Kyle Oliver will play the role he was recruited for. Of course, this is just my opinion and will not throw out any conjecture or debate if we have room.
Maybe, but Owens appears to be recruited as a WR. I like Van Jefferson and all, but if I had my preference, I'd take Owens. You can't coach size. Imagine having him join Croom, Oliver and North in a WR set, next year. That's 3 x 6'5" and one 6'4" Receivers to have to defend! Defenses might have one good size DB, but not 4. There's going to be a bad mismatch on that play...peanuts WILL be eaten (off a DB's helmet)! And just as importantly, it takes a big WR away from UGA. :)

Last edited:
Maybe, but Owens appears to be recruited as a WR. I like Van Jefferson and all, but if I had my preference, I'd take Owens. You can't coach size. Imagine having him join Croom, Oliver and North in a WR set, next year. That's 3 x 6'5" and one 6'4" Receivers to have to defend! Defenses might have one good size DB, but not 4. There's going to be a bad mismatch on that play...peanuts WILL be eaten (off a DB's helmet)! And just as importantly, it takes a big WR away from UGA. :)

So are you saying Oliver is coming here to be a WR? Just curious? I could see it, but he'd make one heck of a TE in time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Oliver like 6'4" 225 already? You add 20-25 pounds to that frame in a few years time and you have a split TE who has the weight to block DEs/LBs. A few other items to think about, our staff likes to use a split TE, Kelce did it at Cincy at 6'5" 255, which is about the size Oliver could be in a few years. Also, our staff likes physical TEs. I'm not sure how physical Oliver is? Another thing to consider is the moving of Justin King to SLB. He was a TE/FB playing at 6'2 245, but he is not very wide like Wolf or Helm is. This also leads me to question why Creamer is at TE now. Creamer is 6'3" 230. If Oliver comes here he's already the size of Creamer pretty much, and he's taller, which seams to be a theme of Butch's model for TEs. What happens to Creamer once Oliver gets here? Move him to LB again? Didn't work well for King so far. Move him to WR? Could he even see the field with our talent there? We can't afford to waste talent here by not finding the best place for them. What I'm getting at is, Creamer is already a project at TE for this team. Oliver is also a project that would have to gain weight to play. Since we know Butch wants the 6'4-6'5 245-255 TE, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to take on Oliver and not use him at TE if he can block, especially when Creamer is now there and is smaller than Oliver.

What's head scratching to me is when you take into account the fact we moved Just King to OLB when he's a proven run blocker at FB, and we replaced him with basically the same size player in Creamer. You move King to OLB, redshirt him, and replace him with a freshman roughly the same size? If you aren't going to use King, what makes you think Creamer fits the bill better when he's the same size roughly and weighs 15 pounds less at the moment? Creamer may be a little wider, but King has him by a solid 15 pounds right now. Seams like we wasted talent in King IMO, and I feel Creamer doesn't fit the Butch Jones TE mold any better than King. Creamer is plenty big enough to play TE, but he's not of the mold of a Helm/Wolf. Just worries me to see King moved to OLB last year when we needed TE/H-back help in the worst way. Makes me feel as if this staff won't put TEs on the field that aren't tall and wide, but then you see Alex Ellis playing at 240 pounds at best. He's also 6'4", but still not a huge guy weight wise. I just really find it odd to not play King in the H-back role, especially when Creamer and Ellis are now there.

Last edited:
King will always just be a role player, so it doesn't matter where you put him (Dooley commit)

My point wasn't that King is such a great player. My point was, he was no worse than the options at TE/H-back last year. We didn't need SLB help past last year. We had Maggit/Weatherd/Bates/Bynum coming/here who are all better options. Yea, King's a role player, but lets at least keep him at a position that he could see the field some at. Otherwise, why is he even here to begin with.

So are you saying Oliver is coming here to be a WR? Just curious? I could see it, but he'd make one heck of a TE in time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Oliver like 6'4" 225 already? You add 20-25 pounds to that frame in a few years time and you have a split TE who has the weight to block DEs/LBs. A few other items to think about, our staff likes to use a split TE, Kelce did it at Cincy at 6'5" 255, which is about the size Oliver could be in a few years. Also, our staff likes physical TEs. I'm not sure how physical Oliver is? Another thing to consider is the moving of Justin King to SLB. He was a TE/FB playing at 6'2 245, but he is not very wide like Wolf or Helm is. This also leads me to question why Creamer is at TE now. Creamer is 6'3" 230. If Oliver comes here he's already the size of Creamer pretty much, and he's taller, which seams to be a theme of Butch's model for TEs. What happens to Creamer once Oliver gets here? Move him to LB again? Didn't work well for King so far. Move him to WR? Could he even see the field with our talent there? We can't afford to waste talent here by not finding the best place for them. What I'm getting at is, Creamer is already a project at TE for this team. Oliver is also a project that would have to gain weight to play. Since we know Butch wants the 6'4-6'5 245-255 TE, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to take on Oliver and not use him at TE if he can block, especially when Creamer is now there and is smaller than Oliver.

What's head scratching to me is when you take into account the fact we moved Just King to OLB when he's a proven run blocker at FB, and we replaced him with basically the same size player in Creamer. You move King to OLB, redshirt him, and replace him with a freshman roughly the same size? If you aren't going to use King, what makes you think Creamer fits the bill better when he's the same size roughly and weighs 15 pounds less at the moment? Creamer may be a little wider, but King has him by a solid 15 pounds right now. Seams like we wasted talent in King IMO, and I feel Creamer doesn't fit the Butch Jones TE mold any better than King. Creamer is plenty big enough to play TE, but he's not of the mold of a Helm/Wolf. Just worries me to see King moved to OLB last year when we needed TE/H-back help in the worst way. Makes me feel as if this staff won't put TEs on the field that aren't tall and wide, but then you see Alex Ellis playing at 240 pounds at best. He's also 6'4", but still not a huge guy weight wise. I just really find it odd to not play King in the H-back role, especially when Creamer and Ellis are now there.

That is a lot of conjecture that is tied to just players size (height and weight). You do know there is WAY MORE to playing those positions than just that. I assume those moves had to do with what they see from them on the field in terms of their ability to play those positions.

That is a lot of conjecture that is tied to just players size (height and weight). You do know there is WAY MORE to playing those positions than just that. I assume those moves had to do with what they see from them on the field in terms of their ability to play those positions.

I know how football works. I also have the ability to pick up on patterns. Our staff likes to recruit bigger S in high school and move them to WLB. I also see that our staff wants big TEs who can block and catch. Creamer and Oliver are hybrid WRs/TEs. That are an anomaly compared to Wolf and Helm. I'm just courious how we are planning on using the guys. The reason I brought King up was because we saw he could block out of the FB position, so I'm assuming he could block out of the H-back position. Apparently, he wasn't what we wanted at TE. I'm not crying over it, just courious as to how Creamer and Oliver will be used.

I know how football works. I also have the ability to pick up on patterns. Our staff likes to recruit bigger S in high school and move them to WLB. I also see that our staff wants big TEs who can block and catch. Creamer and Oliver are hybrid WRs/TEs. That are an anomaly compared to Wolf and Helm. I'm just courious how we are planning on using the guys. The reason I brought King up was because we saw he could block out of the FB position, so I'm assuming he could block out of the H-back position. Apparently, he wasn't what we wanted at TE. I'm not crying over it, just courious as to how Creamer and Oliver will be used.

Maybe you should try and schedule a meeting with the staff so that they can run their plans by you. You know, to see if they meet your approval.

VN Store

Back