16 for '16: College football's most freakish athletes

Well, he's going to have to compete with three other backs on the field when you include Dobbs, so it would shock me. :whistling:

No he's not. I don't think he'll "compete" with anybody.

He'll be the workhorse like last year, he'll get his 22-23 touches a game.....for comparison Fournette averaged 26 last year.

I also think AK will once again compliment him with his 12-13 touches (I'd personally rather see 15 or so). Finally, Dobbs averaged 11 carries last year...no reason to believe he gets more this year. Personally, I'm hopeful the number drops as an inverse to his improved passing numbers.

As much as I love Kelly, 2016 isn't his time yet. He maybe gets a handful of meaningful carries just for good measure, but I don't see how he takes legit carries away from our 2 5-star, future NFL RBs.

Is Jalen gonna get "all the carries"? No, of course not...and neither will Chubb (Michel) and Fournette (Williams & Guice). But he's surely still gonna be the workhorse and as such will get the lionshare of the carries as he did last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

He'll be the workhorse like last year, he'll get his 22-23 touches a game.....for comparison Fournette averaged 26 last year.

I also think AK will once again compliment him with his 12-13 touches (I'd personally rather see 15 or so). Finally, Dobbs averaged 11 carries last year...no reason to believe he gets more this year. Personally, I'm hopeful the number drops as an inverse to his improved passing numbers.

As much as I love Kelly, 2016 isn't his time yet. He maybe gets a handful of meaningful carries just for good measure, but I don't see how he takes legit carries away from our 2 5-star, future NFL RBs.

Is Jalen gonna get "all the carries"? No, of course not...and neither will Chubb (Michel) and Fournette (Williams & Guice). But he's surely still gonna be the workhorse and as such will get the lionshare of the carries as he did last year.

If Jalen can get his ypc up to just 5.5 (which is still nothing spectacular) he can hit 1500 with even fewer carries than he got last year.

Reactions: 1 person
If Jalen can get his ypc up to just 5.5 (which is still nothing spectacular) he can hit 1500 with even fewer carries than he got last year.

That'd be great and I think with just a little OL improvement and a few carries per game (maybe 6-7?) out of the offset I (like we saw in the bowl game), that he can get his ypc to that level.

Reactions: 3 people
Barring injury, the record should be broken easily. A couple of breakaway runs would help tremendously.

Finally, Dobbs averaged 11 carries last year...no reason to believe he gets more this year. Personally, I'm hopeful the number drops as an inverse to his improved passing numbers.

If, for some unknown, and yet unforeseen reason, our passing game gets better with Dobbs, wouldn't it stand to reason we would be running less carries?

Last edited:
The only thing missing from Jalen`s resume as a big time running back is those 40-70yd break away TD runs. Nail a couple of those this year(Fla-Uga-Bama) and he is legend here.

If, for some unknown, and yet unforeseen reason, our passing game gets better with Dobbs, wouldn't it stand to reason we would be running less carries?

The post you quoted......didn't I just suggest that, as far as Dobbs is concerned anyway? So, yes, I would hope so.

Overall however, I doubt our rushing totals drop very much....our current identity is that of a running football team. I'd love to see Dobbs' attempts increase a bit while his completion percentage and yards per attempt increase dramatically. Conversely, as I said earlier, I'd hope that leads to fewer Dobbs rushes per game.

Finally, Dobbs is not a true freshman, he will be a senior in the fall. And Hurd is not a true freshman, he will be a junior in the fall. And Kamara is not a true freshman, he will be a redshirt junior in the fall.

The only thing missing from Jalen`s resume as a big time running back is those 40-70yd break away TD runs. Nail a couple of those this year(Fla-Uga-Bama) and he is legend here.

Off-set I mixed in with spread will enable that IMO.

Who knows? Maybe dobb's will shock us all with his passing improvement and make it not necessary for the qb to have to run the ball. It would have to be a major shocking improvement though seeing as the left side of our o line seems to be the weakest point of attack on the team right now. I'm willing to start the season with hope.

I'd be surprised if he got this many. I see too many carries for Kamara and Dobbs. He would get it if in Fornette or Chubb's situation.

UGa uses Sonny Michel much like Kamara so Chubb situation is much like Hurds right now

Don't worry P Willy's got this.

No doubt. Put Jeff George on the other side with Croom down the middle, impossible to double up on all of em. That still leaves JH AC in the backfield, that's a lot of talent to have to deal with. As usual it comes down to the OLine. We have improved the talent level there too.

Our offense may be our strength this year, if you don't consider our Special Teams or our Defense. We are loaded and according to JRM still have a lot to prove.

The time is now to take the next step.

2016 the year of the Vol.

Jump higher Vols.

Deep ball against Western Carolina that I'm pretty sure Dormady threw. Let's see Dobbs complete a deep ball like this against UF, Bama, UGA, or aTm

He already has, multiple times. I think some people just like to say stuff but haven't actually watched the games.

He already has, multiple times. I think some people just like to say stuff but haven't actually watched the games.

Besides the deep ball to Malone, I can't think of deep ball Dobbs has hit in an SEC game. He's had some nice intermediate throws, but he still hasn't done much in the deep game to this point.

Besides the deep ball to Malone, I can't think of deep ball Dobbs has hit in an SEC game. He's had some nice intermediate throws, but he still hasn't done much in the deep game to this point.

You dont think our 4.8 40 leading wide receiver had anything to do with that? Or our starting LT that couldn't get invited to a NFL camp?

Dobbs has the arm and talent to throw the deep ball as the Kentucky game proved and South Carolina (when Malone dropped a perfect deep ball).

The problem with the deep ball was more wide receiver and o-line than Dobbs.

You dont think our 4.8 40 leading wide receiver had anything to do with that? Or our starting LT that couldn't get invited to a NFL camp?

Dobbs has the arm and talent to throw the deep ball as the Kentucky game proved and South Carolina (when Malone dropped a perfect deep ball).

The problem with the deep ball was more wide receiver and o-line than Dobbs.

Von ran intermediate routes, he wasn't asked to run 9 routes and his 10 yards per catch average demonstrates that. The much faster Malone, Smith, Jennings and even PWill were the guys tasked with stretching the field, not Pearson.

VN Store

Back