1st off-season blemish/UT missed J. Hardy already signed?

I read the article and it seems the writer is making accusations from hearsay which seems to be the flavor of the day. There's zero chance the Vols are still recruiting the kid if they know he's signed. Its not as if we haven't talked to the kid for months and months and if he's telling us he has not signed I see no reason to check some portal. The onus is on the kid. Kinda deceitful mostly IMO. Don't know the kid or his family so maybe there's some odd explanation of why he's insisting he has not signed. Benefit of the doubt thing.

Apparently J. Hardy signed with Auburn during the early signing period.

BREAKING: Jay Hardy signed with Auburn in December, Tennessee coach had no clue

If this is our biggest off-season blunder or snafu, I can live with it.

Nothing for UT to do but take it on the chin if the report is true. Any PR attempt to save face would just make us look silly if our coaching staff had the means to know and should have known.

I'm still flabbergasted wondering
1. Why Auburn didn't announce he signed, or at least announce that they had an unannounced player/s sign during the early period?
2. Aside from UT, How did none of the national media, particularly the recruiting services, not catch and report on this?
3. What was J. Hardy really thinking if he actually continued to take visits and proceed as if he were an eligible recruit?

Last but certainly not least, I want to know which of our assistants was directly responsible for his recruitment? I heard rumors last November from alumni friends that knew boosters(yeah yeah, I know what that credibility is worth...) that J. Hardy had been a sure commit to UT and bungling his recruitment might cost his primary recruiter his job after he verbally committed to Auburn.
BTW, I left the names out because hearsay rumors usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.

imagine calling the Jay Hardy circus that Hardy created a blunder for Tennessee......

Reactions: GroverCleveland
The kid signed with Auburn before we dominated the Hoosiers in the Gator Bowl. Bet he is having some serious regrets now. Wow, I really should have committed to Tennessee. I'm a knucklehead. Dang.

At this point why does anyone even care about Hardy and this whole situation ? This is just simply Auburn being Auburn and Hardy just rolled right along with it like it was just a normal way of doing things. I personally couldn't care less about this recruit or the lousy crooked institution he chose to attend and I have zero respect for he or for Auburn. I despise Alabama just simply can't stand them, but I respect them and their program. Auburn I despise and have no respect for at all, wouldn't bother me in the least if they never won another game ever.

I've got a 17 year old who is smart, respectful, yet has the social graces of a baboon. About once a week I find myself with a pained look saying "Dude...what are you thinking?" Lol
I did not realize J. Hardy was only 17 years old! My mistake, he is just a boy, I thought he was over 18 maybe 19 and a man-thanks for making that clear, he does need his mama, hopefully as he grows older (at least 18) he'll become a man, one that doesn't need his mama to wipe his nose.

Not sure I would have want the kid on my team! That’s for damn sure.
He would have to have a damn good reason for carrying on this fiasco to be on my team. That goes for UT or Aubum. This is in no way a blemish on my university! I don’t know the kid or his family, however, something is not right with the whole thing. Also if the coaching staff at Aubum is using this as a tactic then that shows you what type of people they are. The Aubum writer doing this article has to know he’s out of his mind! Or maybe he is salty over last year’s beating from one of the worst teams in our proud history. F#%^ em!

Here is a snippet from an article on SDS:
View attachment 255177

Please note his January 18 response.

While I really shouldn’t have to say this, and it should apply to every potential recruit, let’s not bad mouth the young man. Yes, it will be disappointing if he doesn’t sign with us, but all these young men are only doing what they think is best for them. For the ones we miss, we just need to do a better job of convincing them Tennessee is the best place for them. As we are on an upswing, I get the feeling it won’t be long before most recruits will be clamoring to come here.

I've tried not to respond to any Hardy threads because I think the whole thing is hilarious.

At least two issues: 1) Hardy immaturity. 2) Butt hurt fans still thinking UT had a chance after the guy committed to the cheaters.

They have never let it go and Hardy played the game too. Folks should leave these high school players alone, and stop following them on Twitter or even tweeting at them like groupies.

If this is true, I would imagine there should be some sort of punishment for Auburn. If they knew he signed and he was still able to take visits then that seems like a violation to me.

At the very least a new rule regarding signing not being made public. This is an unfortunate situation that involves a VFL Darryl Hardy

They have never let it go and Hardy played the game too. Folks should leave these high school players alone, and stop following them on Twitter or even tweeting at them like groupies.
It's completely distasteful and slot of the reason why I steer clear of a lot of recruiting.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Immediately after I posted the link to the article, which BTW the article states that UT did have the means to know he had already signed......

I said

I acknowledged that my statement was contingent on the accuracy of the article....

So to reiterate, yes. If UT had the available means to know J. Hardy had already signed a letter of intent and continued to recruit him that is a blunder.

I'm not trying to speak for J. Hardy's, Auburn's, or the NCAA's part in this. Just UT's. It doesn't matter if it's not yours, if you step in sh!t, you still got sh!t on your shoe.
Dumbest post yet.

Nothing for UT to do but take it on the chin if the report is true. Any PR attempt to save face would just make us look silly if our coaching staff had the means to know and should have known.

1. Why Auburn didn't announce he signed, or at least announce that they had an unannounced player/s sign during the early period?
2. Aside from UT, How did none of the national media, particularly the recruiting services, not catch and report on this?
3. What was J. Hardy really thinking if he actually continued to take visits and proceed as if he were an eligible recruit?

Last but certainly not least, I want to know which of our assistants was directly responsible for his recruitment? I heard rumors last November from alumni friends that knew boosters(yeah yeah, I know what that credibility is worth...) that J. Hardy had been a sure commit to UT and bungling his recruitment might cost his primary recruiter his job after he verbally committed to Auburn.
BTW, I left the names out because hearsay rumors usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Things like this:

“While Hardy wasn’t exactly truthful with the coaching staff in Knoxville, it is hard to blame a kid for wanting more attention during the recruiting process.

In the end, the Volunteers’ staff comes across badly, as if they are ill-prepared in the recruiting process while Auburn knew for a month that they had him signed, didn’t let on and now have a top recruit coming to campus.”

Things like this are why I’m ashamed of the culture I live in. Integrity is no longer expected. Lies are widely accepted, so long as they serve your self interests. And trusting someone at their word gets you publicly shamed. Odds are the author of this peace is himself a liar and he writes things like this to numb the guilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your saying Hardy lying is Tenn.'s blunder? Wow!!
You know, I've read allot of your posts and agree with allot of your takes.

If I came across as crass or overly defensive then apologies. You did ask and not insinuate. It wasn't my intention to offend you.

I'm pretty sure UT doesn't wont you speaking for them!
C'mon though dude. Wasn't it pretty obvious I was clarifying my opinion about UT's possible role in the situation and not literally presuming to speak for UT?

I don't tweet/twit/Twitter, whatever the hell it is. At the time I posted the thread I did a google search and couldn't find any other articles. So I posted the thread to open up discussion and try and find out what was going on.

If true it seems like Auburn has broken some rules by allowing him to continue through the process. Costing us thousands of dollars for nothing!

Things like this:

“While Hardy wasn’t exactly truthful with the coaching staff in Knoxville, it is hard to blame a kid for wanting more attention during the recruiting process.

In the end, the Volunteers’ staff comes across badly, as if they are ill-prepared in the recruiting process while Auburn knew for a month that they had him signed, didn’t let on and now have a top recruit coming to campus.”

Things like this are why I’m ashamed of the culture I live in. Integrity is no longer expected. Lies are widely accepted, so long as they serve your self interests. And trusting someone at their word gets you put publicly shamed. Odds are the author of this peace is himself a liar and he writes things like this to numb the guilt.
Really?
GTFO

Has nothing to do with them, has everything to do with this kid was playing everyone because he didn't want the attention of the recruiting process to go away. His mom went public with it cause he was lying to everyone

So, Auburn agreed to help him string out his recruiting process?

I've tried not to respond to any Hardy threads because I think the whole thing is hilarious.

At least two issues: 1) Hardy immaturity. 2) Butt hurt fans still thinking UT had a chance after the guy committed to the cheaters.

Until the SDS article and this thread I don’t even remember hearing his name, so I don’t really have a dog in this fight.

He just needs to go where he thinks is best for him. We just need to make sure he feels welcome enough to come here if and when he chooses to throughout his college career.

Somewhere you gotta wonder where the adults are in this. Parents, any coaches at McCallie who might have known, Auburn coaches who did and Tennessee coaches who didn’t bother to check are all guilty of poor judgement, bad leadership and plain laziness.

Add another item to the list of things Pruitt has had to learn.

If people are telling you no one has signed and there is no proof who do you check with?

.............and to think we were saying the same thing about Cade Mays a couple of yrs. ago.

I think Mays was much more understandable as Jones was running a clown show and he didn’t want to be part of it or the mess to follow.

In this case Hardy is the clown.

If people are telling you no one has signed and there is no proof who do you check with?
According to the article I linked to
According to a source, the fact that Hardy had signed with the Tigers had been public information to coaches since last month as it was visible in the NCAA compliance portal.

Each coach is given a sign-in and password for the site so he can keep track of where someone has possibly signed.

I'd like to see that confirmed from an accredited NCAA source before I fully trust the blog writer or his source.

VN Store

Back