2021 Fall Practice #14

Wow, just rewatched and didn’t catch that.

Hopefully that is “healthy” animosity amongst competitors, but that seemed a little motivated from something. Lol
I’m with you, seemed a little bit more than that, but if it helps them play harder, I’m all for it.

According to Brown and Wallace it appears the OL starters have been set with two weeks before game day. I am sure Heupel, Golesch, and Ellerbe told them it is set. Love the Knoxville media in preseason. People actually pay to read that ****.

Since our first game is on a Thursday, when does "Game Week" begin?
I don't think there will be a traditional practice schedule for a game week. Instead I think they will start installing the game plan this coming Monday then carve out a few practices to work on the things that still need tuning up.

Reactions: VolBricks
According to Brown and Wallace it appears the OL starters have been set with two weeks before game day. I am sure Heupel, Golesch, and Ellerbe told them it is set. Love the Knoxville media in preseason. People actually pay to read that ****.
Why is this notion so offensive to you and a few others? They're reporting what they're seeing when the team lines up... If it is the same OL consistently then you can be pretty sure those guys are your 1's and they're working at finding a rotation to take advantage of guys like Davis who represent very good depth. If true, this isn't a good thing... it is a GREAT thing. It means they now have time to gel as a starting 5 AND a rotation of 7-10 guys. IIRC, this is unique to the last 7 years at least. Jones and Pruitt both seemed to go into first game prep week uncertain about their starting five or rotation every year.

Why is this notion so offensive to you and a few others? They're reporting what they're seeing when the team lines up... If it is the same OL consistently then you can be pretty sure those guys are your 1's and they're working at finding a rotation to take advantage of guys like Davis who represent very good depth. If true, this isn't a good thing... it is a GREAT thing. It means they now have time to gel as a starting 5 AND a rotation of 7-10 guys. IIRC, this is unique to the last 7 years at least. Jones and Pruitt both seemed to go into first game prep week uncertain about their starting five or rotation every year.
Offensive ??? Not offensive just don’t trust the Knoxville media for accurate info. If Brown and Wallace are correct that the starting OL is set this early than I bet Cade Mays is pissed. That means that they have given up on Davis unless Cade gets hurt. Kyberson by observing all of the practices thought Davis had the ability to make it at RT. So if what Brown and Wallace say is true then Davis must really suck so the Knoxville media must have been wrong all along about his ability to start. Also if true I would wonder about Ellerbe’s ability to build depth and consider this early decision as just laziness. However I don’t think that is the case.

"Whoa Nelly, he's wearing white shoes!!!"

Billy-White-Shoes-Johnson.jpg
71w-8etHPWL._AC_SL1073_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

d0a7d74186f5ec570218a16fef847140--joe-namath-photo-print.jpg

I mentioned Reno Hightower in an earlier post. I didn't think anyone knew who he was.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I like what I am hearing about Milton - Its good someone is establishing themselves as starter and I love the fact that we finally have people who can sling it downfield with ease - and coaches who want to
I think it's important that they decided on him so early. Get him as many first team reps as possible so he's ready. Not a big fan of a two QB system. It's probably what would have happened had he not showed up here.

Reactions: Gandalf
I think it's important that they decided on him so early. Get him as many first team reps as possible so he's ready. Not a big fan of a two QB system. It's probably what would have happened had he not showed up here.

“A team with 2 QB’S, has no QB’s.” - IDK who said it, but it is true. Lol.

“A team with 2 QB’S, has no QB’s.” - IDK who said it, but it is true. Lol.
True, before the people say Tebow and Leak. Tebow was just a short yardage back that threw a jump pass until he developed into an outstanding college qb.

Absolutely! I got so tired of the constant shuffling of the OL right up until game day. Then on the first play from scrimmage against WVU the line whiffed and got the QB blown up. They need reps as a unit.

Idk about you, but I wouldn’t take being told I’m a bum without firing back either.
I like he jumped on him, I don’t think tearing him down saying he wouldn’t have started on last years team is showing leadership. Telling him to shut the f*** up and get back in line is a better response.
Edit: Leaders set and maintain the precedent, they don’t stoop or lower themselves to the other person they’re supposed to be leading.

I like he jumped on him, I don’t think tearing him down saying he wouldn’t have started on last years team is showing leadership. Telling him to shut the f*** up and get back in line is a better response.
Edit: Leaders set and maintain the precedent, they don’t stoop or lower themselves to the other person they’re supposed to be leading.
I can agree with that. Just not how a lot of guys react from the backgrounds they came from.

Offensive ??? Not offensive just don’t trust the Knoxville media for accurate info. If Brown and Wallace are correct that the starting OL is set this early than I bet Cade Mays is pissed.
Why? If he can stay at RT all season then lots of RT's convert to OG's in the NFL. If not then he shows flexibility which is worth $$$$ when he goes pro. He may prefer one position over another but he's not getting "cheated".

That means that they have given up on Davis unless Cade gets hurt.
No it doesn't. Not even close. It means he wasn't one of the current best 5 they've got. If he's one of the top 8 or 9 with the tempo they want then he will play a lot... and be well set up to start next year. Starting as a RS Jr after being a walk on without major college offers... would be a great story. Not a failure.

Kyberson by observing all of the practices thought Davis had the ability to make it at RT. So if what Brown and Wallace say is true then Davis must really suck so the Knoxville media must have been wrong all along about his ability to start. Also if true I would wonder about Ellerbe’s ability to build depth and consider this early decision as just laziness. However I don’t think that is the case.
"Depth" isn't the starting 5. Depth is the guys behind the starting 5 and we can be fairly sure that includes Davis. You hope to have MULTIPLE guys who are able to start... who aren't in the starting 5. I hope there are 10 or more guys with the ability to start who aren't.

Davis isn't competing with Mays or Wright directly. Mays can and probably would rather play OG. He's competing with Spraggins who has apparently earned the right to be the 5th guy starting. I am seldom a fan of an individual player to the degree I am Spraggins. I've loved that guy since the moment he committed.... but if Davis is better at RT than Spraggins is at RG then Davis needs to play. Apparently he isn't right now.

Offensive ??? Not offensive just don’t trust the Knoxville media for accurate info. If Brown and Wallace are correct that the starting OL is set this early than I bet Cade Mays is pissed. That means that they have given up on Davis unless Cade gets hurt. Kyberson by observing all of the practices thought Davis had the ability to make it at RT. So if what Brown and Wallace say is true then Davis must really suck so the Knoxville media must have been wrong all along about his ability to start. Also if true I would wonder about Ellerbe’s ability to build depth and consider this early decision as just laziness. However I don’t think that is the case.
Not true at all. Comes down to would you rather start Davis or Spraggins? If Davis, Mays moves to guard. If Spraggins, Mays moves to tackle. Personally I would rather start Spraggins. Evidently the caoaches agree.

I mentioned Reno Hightower in an earlier post. I didn't think anyone knew who he was.

Best of Times reference gets a big like from me.

One of my all-time fav sports movies. Always puts a lump in my throat when the old boxer walks away shaking his fist at the end. I want a shirt that says "KID LESTER."

1629484717953.jpeg

VN Store

Back