2021 Predictions: Defensive Line

Depth Chart of scholarship and NON suspended players going to 2021-
WDE- T Barron 6'5 260, B Eason 6'2 265. B Young 6'4 245
DT- Emerson, Garland, Thomas (4*)
DT, Solomon, Simmons, Bailey (4*) , Evans (4*)
SDE, Butler, Bumphus, Middleton, Blakely

Middleton should see time at DE and DT

Rodney Garner has a lot to work with. This is the least concerning unit on the roster.
Yeah I don't really know why everyone is so scared about DL. Its linebackers and secondary that is thin.

I don’t think we are uber-talented up front, but I think last years problems had as much to do about distractions, buy in, motivation, etc., as anything. I think our LB crew was overrated, jmo...and with the lack of experience and talent at that position, it will be a concern. Coaching should be better...distractions should be far less...and I believe there is enough talent upfront to be competitive with most teams. We shall see...

I agree!! As a group they seemed to me to be slow and had little quickness. A lot of the lack of quickness could have been mental caused all the c-19 crap.

Reactions: Pacer92
How about actual LB coaches? That do anything for you?

Guess I am just stupid, but I don't follow what you are saying. As to your second sentence, no, very little that has gone on on the hill over the past few years does anything for me. I can remember at time when I would be physically sick over a loss or happy as a pig in slop over a win.. Those days are long gone. Now I just watch in a ho hum manner. (which is not the way I wish to be, but the attitude one the field and the general atmosphere of pro sports that college sports in general have taken has turn me off from my younger naive excitement for college sports)

Yeah I don't really know why everyone is so scared about DL. Its linebackers and secondary that is thin.
LB is the greatest concern to me. Some concern about CB. Safety isn't "deep, deep" but should be able to go 6+ deep- Flowers, Jackson, McDonald, Slaughter, McCollough, LaBruzza, plus any help they get from the incoming class.

A lot of teams play "nickel" personnel these days as a base D. I could see UT lining up with 3 safeties, 2 CB's, and a "star" (or whatever then new term is). The DL really has to play well for anything to work on D.

Guess I am just stupid, but I don't follow what you are saying. As to your second sentence, no, very little that has gone on on the hill over the past few years does anything for me. I can remember at time when I would be physically sick over a loss or happy as a pig in slop over a win.. Those days are long gone. Now I just watch in a ho hum manner. (which is not the way I wish to be, but the attitude one the field and the general atmosphere of pro sports that college sports in general have taken has turn me off from my younger naive excitement for college sports)
Coulda just said no.

Reactions: savannahfan
Depth is not an issue with the Dline. They are easily 3 deep. 4 deep. It's the deepest position on the team.

They just weren't very good last year...

I don't think we had the DL personnel to run a 3-4...take a look at the freshman Georgia had at NT last year - we didn't have anyone who could clog the middle, not be moved and take up two blockers pretty much every play...most teams we played got bodies on our LBs quickly because they didn't have to double anyone on our line...I ;like a 3-4 IF you have the personnel to run it...

Give me a f-ing break with the fan purity BS. There are no “air quote” fans left at this point. After 15 years of absolute incompetence the Vol fans remaining are committed (or perhaps should be!😎).

We are about to run a very fast paced offense with a depleted DL and Lb rotation. You be Pollyanna if you wish, but I’m going to close my eyes, brace for impact and not expect much this season. Doesn't mean a damn thing about my “faithfulness”. GOT IT?
I think you misspelled "pessimism".

I don't think we had the DL personnel to run a 3-4...take a look at the freshman Georgia had at NT last year - we didn't have anyone who could clog the middle, not be moved and take up two blockers pretty much every play...most teams we played got bodies on our LBs quickly because they didn't have to double anyone on our line...I ;like a 3-4 IF you have the personnel to run it...
if you look in 2019, our defense ended up in Top 25 in total defense. Those same DL played in 2020 and got mauled. It had more to do with lack of pass rush and being on the field too long because JG couldnt keep the offense out there ...

Loosing Bituli, Taylor and Warrior didn't help matters either.

Expect our front seven to be horrendous we have no depth and with this fast paced offense it’ll be quick 3 and outs or quick scores and that’s scary with our lack of depth
LB is a pretty significant concern. How do you get that the DL is not deep? Blakely, Simmons, Thomas, Bailey, Garland, Bumphus, Emerson, Butler, Emerson, Solomon. Baron, Young, and Eason.

The scariest part is that 5 of the interior guys are Sr's. For a supposed defensive guru, Pruitt didn't fill needs very well.

if you look in 2019, our defense ended up in Top 25 in total defense. Those same DL played in 2020 and got mauled. It had more to do with lack of pass rush and being on the field too long because JG couldnt keep the offense out there ...

Loosing Bituli, Taylor and Warrior didn't help matters either.

True...a strong offense that can run the ball well is the defense’s best friend.

Reactions: LittleVol
our D line is not very deep, but, thy are gigantic MONSTERS. these are huge individuals. i will be placing my hope on that.

Not many are willing to go on record in public over unchartered waters with a prediction.
Here are mine for the Defensive Line:

*More sacks
*More Quarterback Hurries
*More Pass Breakups
*More Tackles for Loss
than last season.

This is Matthew Butler's season.

You’re on an anonymous internet forum. Everyone is willing to make absurd predictions.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Thomas and Bailey have size and quickness that could make them great inside pass rushers...potential is there - just have to see how it plays out. We may struggle with depth over the next couple of seasons but good coaching can help overcome that against most opponents.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I think being in a 4 man front is going to benefit the personnel we have right now. Baron is built to be a DE and having a speed rusher on the other end like Young or Harrison is going to be a nice mix. Guys like Garland, Middleton, Butler, and Thomas are going to be serviceable DTs I think as well.

I think being in a 4 man front is going to benefit the personnel we have right now. Baron is built to be a DE and having a speed rusher on the other end like Young or Harrison is going to be a nice mix. Guys like Garland, Middleton, Butler, and Thomas are going to be serviceable DTs I think as well.
Simmons is also getting some positive comments from the OLine as being hard to block and from Heupel for being violent and disruptive. Although coach did say Simmons could stand to “optimize” his weight.

I'm really a big fan of and pulling for the youngster out of Nashville, Simmons. His biggest problem has been conditioning and I'm hoping beyond hope it all begins to come together for him this year. Go 51 and GBO!!!
Heupel had some nice things to say about him in the interview after the most recent scrimmage. Mays brothers also mentioned him in their interview.

Depth Chart of scholarship and NON suspended players going to 2021-
WDE- T Barron 6'5 260, B Eason 6'2 265. B Young 6'4 245
DT- Emerson, Garland, Thomas (4*)
DT, Solomon, Simmons, Bailey (4*) , Evans (4*)
SDE, Butler, Bumphus, Middleton, Blakely

Middleton should see time at DE and DT

Rodney Garner has a lot to work with. This is the least concerning unit on the roster.

Did Mincey transfer?

VN Store

Back