2022 Fall Practice #13

Fingers

Vols corner Kamal Hadden was REALLY fired up to be back at practice this morning. Kid spent the first 30 minutes of practice dancing around like he was on fire.
rucker

Jimmy Calloway was not in pads today as Josh Heupel hinted Sunday that he’s missed some time lately. Lyn-J Dixon did not have shoulder pads on today and Jaylen Wright remains in shells.
Squirrel White was in shells as well – getting some work in off to the side with Christian Harrison who was not in pads, but wearing a red noncontact jersey. Solon Page and Cheyenne Labruzza continue to don red noncontact jerseys while Wesley Walker did not practice today as he’s a bit banged up – nothing serious. Jacob Warren was not at practice today, but he’s still scheduled to speak with us later today.
Of note, cornerback Kamal Hadden was back at practice today and in full pads with his teammates. Hadden was seen going though individual drills with the cornerbacks and looked to be a full-go.
Elijah Simmons was also back in full gear, going through stretches and bag drills with the rest of the defensive line.
Both Hendon Hooker and Joe Milton completed several 30-40+ yard passes while we were out here. Tayven Jackson hit on a few as well – though he missed some too.
The prettiest ball of the day came from Joe Milton as he hit (I believe) Jimmy Holiday in stride down the far sideline. The ball was tight with a perfect spiral and hit Holiday in stride halfway in the endzone. Holiday never had to slow down. It was a perfect ball, albeit, no rush.
At the end of this week, Tennessee will move into game week prep simulation for both a Saturday and Thursday game.
e.cain

Byron Young also was in full pads and operating normally after he got a light workload in the scrimmage – he might be in bubble wrap at this point.
The less-than-good news: Wide receivers Jimmy Calloway and Squirrel White did not practice, running back Jaylen Wright is still only good enough to practice in shells and running back Lyn-J Dixon did not practice. Also didn’t see defensive back Wesley Walker at practice after he missed the scrimmage. The group in red non-contact jerseys included linebackers Solon Page III and Jackson Hannah, cornerback Dee Williams and safety Cheyenne Labruzza, though all of those guys were going through drills.
Calloway stretched with the team but was not in uniform. White was in shells and worked on the side of practice with a strength coach alongside freshman cornerback Christian Harrison. Dixon went through quarterback-running back mesh work before staying inside when the team went outside, and Wright got involved in individual drills.
Tight end Miles Campbell appeared to have a sleeve on his lower leg but was practicing normally.
The first tandem up in the main group for Brian Jean-Mary was Jeremy Banks alongside Juwan Mitchell, if that’s an indication toward what Tennessee’s starting linebacker duo might be.
Tennessee’s offensive line ran through some split-line work, the centers, right guards and right tackles working together while the left guards and left tackles were paired up. In the latter group, the order went (tackle then guard) Jeremiah Crawford and Jerome Carvin, Gerald Mincey and Ollie Lane, RJ Perry and Savion Herring. Mo Clipper Jr. also got some work at left guard and notably freshman Addison Nichols was watching this group – he’s been at center but is clearly also getting guard work.
The order in the other group went (center, right guard and right tackle) Cooper Mays, Javontez Spraggins and Darnell Wright, then Parker Ball, Jackson Lampley and Dayne Davis, then Braeden Krivosh, Masai Reddick and Brian Grant, who appears to be ahead of William Parker.
Hendon Hooker dropped dimes to Jalin Hyatt then Cedric Tillman and Joe Milton III hit Nigel Lanier and Jimmy Holiday in stride, the pass to Holiday was especially exquisite as Holiday didn’t even have to break stride. Lanier, by the way, was the next guy up in the slot behind Hyatt with Calloway and White absent – he’s a redshirt freshman from Huntsville, Ala.
p.brown

We saw just three passes hit the ground Tuesday as Walker Merill couldn’t haul in a Joe Milton III deep ball and freshman quarterback Tayven Jackson misfired on a pair of passes.
Reps order was as usual with the receivers as Ramel Keyton, Jalin Hyatt and Cedric Tillman led the way. Bru McCoy looks more comfortable as fall camp roars on. Josh Heupel was complimentary of McCoy’s scrimmage performance Sunday.
Jordan Phillips earned Rodney Garner’s ire while going through pass rush drills.
r.schumpert

Sounds like Crawford is pulling ahead of Mincey.

I wonder if whoever doesn't win LT will try to get practice reps at guard. They will probably be our 6th best lineman, so a decent chance they will be first off of the bench of injury regardless of spot on the line. I think Mincey could be a force at guard.

Joshua Josephs looks like a real football player. He's been hitting the weights hard! Looks at least 235 on his 6'4 frame. And he is so quick!

All those gamebreakers in shells or off to the side is fine. Calloway 4.4,White 4.3
Dixon 4.4 ,Wright 4.3 are all guys that will be tough to deal with .

Mitchell and Banks at LB....that's what we all want to see!

This is a good looking team boys.....
Wooooooo!! GBO!!!

Hard to believe that this is the first practice video I have watched from the fall camp. Fishing has been fun.
We are so close to this season starting and being a different university. I believe that a strong year in football puts the entire University back into a prestigious place. Tennessee has a chance to have the big three programs in contention for significant success. This is an exhilarating time to be a fan.

Hard to believe that this is the first practice video I have watched from the fall camp. Fishing has been fun.
We are so close to this season starting and being a different university. I believe that a strong year in football puts the entire University back into a prestigious place. Tennessee has a chance to have the big three programs in contention for significant success. This is an exhilarating time to be a fan.
Sounds like you have had a nice summer👍🧡. Now get ready to have a spectacular Fall!

I wonder if whoever doesn't win LT will try to get practice reps at guard. They will probably be our 6th best lineman, so a decent chance they will be first off of the bench of injury regardless of spot on the line. I think Mincey could be a force at guard.
Just like Coach Heupel said, they will continue to play both at LT through the first game and probably several others after that...so I doubt it will be put at guard

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Joshua Josephs looks like a real football player. He's been hitting the weights hard! Looks at least 235 on his 6'4 frame. And he is so quick!

All those gamebreakers in shells or off to the side is fine. Calloway 4.4,White 4.3
Dixon 4.4 ,Wright 4.3 are all guys that will be tough to deal with .

Mitchell and Banks at LB....that's what we all want to see!

This is a good looking team boys.....
Wooooooo!! GBO!!!
I hope you're correct but.........
Josephs is listed as 6'3" and 215 on the 2022 Tennessee roster.

Fingers, also a thanks from me for the updates. What % of the sessions are getting to see now? How many of the non participants do you think would be game worthy? Lastly, did the young backs look good assuming they had to get a lot of reps within the walking wounded room?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I hope you're correct but.........
Josephs is listed as 6'3" and 215 on the 2022 Tennessee roster.
Look at him in the practice video at tell me if you think he's just 215.
Maybe he was around that or 210 when he got here in January, but that kid looks physically ready to contribute.

Heupel said both will need to play at LT

Easily 235-240 lbs.
I saw one roster report where he had gotten up to 225. That like a month ago.

Regardless of whatever he is, he looks physically ready to help. And we'll need that. Pearce doesn't look far behind either and he's 6'5. Both of those guys are super quick!

I saw one roster report where he had gotten up to 225. That like a month ago.

Regardless of whatever he is, he looks physically ready to help. And we'll need that. Pearce doesn't look far behind either and he's 6'5. Both of those guys are super quick!

We have 4 guys who can get to the passer now it seems: Pierce, Josephs, Baron, and Young. This is going to help us tremendously on 3rd downs which killed us last year. Couldn't get off the field. If the secondary would learn to cover on 3rd downs that would be even better. We were so close in several of our games last year, and that would have made all the difference in the world.

VN Store

Back