2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Dewayne Brown is a 2025 that’s set to commit that the Vols feel good about, he’d be a freshman that following year.

We also rarely start freshman bigs, with the new age of the portal I'd be looking to have at least 4 or 5 true bigs on the roster every season. Just my preference though.

This year we can get by with Awaka, JP, Cade and Igor... next season Igor would be gone and I'm not sure Awaka, JP, and Cade will all stick around.

If Awaka returns my "dream" haul would be

Lanier OR Gayle
Tyson
Igor
And another true big (Mabor maybe) that is willing to work and develop for 2 to 3 years

Reactions: Lefteye
I’m sure that’s not the pitch, I would assume he’s being told he’ll have every opportunity to earn a starting spot but that even if he doesn’t start it’s about who finishes the games here.
Just seems like even if we are able to convince Dubar, Igor and Tyson to come - one of them will feel like the odd man out and leave before fall.

Just seems like even if we are able to convince Dubar, Igor and Tyson to come - one of them will feel like the odd man out and leave before fall.
Dubar and Igor would prob start

Tyson may start over Mashack, but if not you could prob sell him on being a 6th man for a year.

Last edited:
We also rarely start freshman bigs, with the new age of the portal I'd be looking to have at least 4 or 5 true bigs on the roster every season. Just my preference though.

This year we can get by with Awaka, JP, Cade and Igor... next season Igor would be gone and I'm not sure Awaka, JP, and Cade will all stick around.

Lanier OR Gayle
Tyson
Igor
And another true big (Mabor maybe) that is willing to work and develop for 2 to 3 years
But we wouldn’t need to start brown, that’s my point? He’d be here and alongside Awaka, Estrella and Cade? I’m not against Mabor, just think adding him now is virtually the same as adding Brown in 2025 class given he’s much further along.

Reactions: volunteerfan94
But we wouldn’t need to start brown, that’s my point? He’d be here and alongside Awaka, Estrella and Cade? I’m not against Mabor, just think adding him now is virtually the same as adding Brown in 2025 class given he’s much further along.

But my point is we don't know...I would have never thought Aidoo AND Awaka would be in the portal after this past season of success. Next off-season we could see 2 more upperclassmen bigs enter the portal and then we'd be in a situation where Brown would be needed immediately and we wouldn't have any proven depth.

You add Mabor and you at least have 1 season of seeing what he can do. I almost feel like if you've already landed Dubar, Tyson AND Igor Anderson is a wasted spot. And would he even stick around for his Junior season?

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Who knows, roster management is definitely hard. If that scenario played out, hypothetical rotation…

Zeigler/Boswell
Lanier/Gainey
Tyson/Mashack/Carr
Dubar/Igor/Cade
Awaka/Estrella/Mabar

Cade, Boswell and Mabar likely odd men out and potential RS, leaves you…

Zeigler/Gainey
Lanier/Carr
Tyson/Mashack
Dubar/Igor
Awaka/Estrella

10 man rotation, Gainey being a coaches kid you’d hope is a good team player and doesn’t cause an issue if he’s just a 10-15mpg guy. You’d ideally hope Carr is a rotational piece which is a jump from last year and is also good with just 10-15mpg as a sophomore and be ready for a big junior jump. One injury also shakes it all up and takes you down to a very manageable 9 man rotation, and how often do teams make it through a year without any injuries?

But my point is we don't know...I would have never thought Aidoo AND Awaka would be in the portal after this past season of success. Next off-season we could see 2 more upperclassmen bigs enter the portal and then we'd be in a situation where Brown would be needed immediately and we wouldn't have any proven depth.

You add Mabor and you at least have 1 season of seeing what he can do. I almost feel like if you've already landed Dubar, Tyson AND Igor Anderson is a wasted spot. And would he even stick around for his Junior season?
3 potential bigs, all the same class = transfer for sure.

It is a wasted spot

I get what you’re saying…my thought on Anderson is if he comes here it’s with the knowledge of not really playing this year most likely and even potentially a RS. Tough ask considering his suitors but given his mom is a Lady Vol you never know, not likely but if I am picking that or Mabor it would be Anderson. You can find a competent big man at any time out of the portal.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I get what you’re saying…my thought on Anderson is if he comes here it’s with the knowledge of not really playing this year most likely and even potentially a RS. Tough ask considering his suitors but given his mom is a Lady Vol you never know, not likely but if I am picking that or Mabor it would be Anderson. You can find a competent big man at any time out of the portal.

I think I just want us to add that competent big more this year than next is all. But if Awaka withdraws I wouldn't mind waiting until next cycle.

I think I just want us to add that competent big more this year than next is all. But if Awaka withdraws I wouldn't mind waiting until next cycle.
Hopefully OSU locks Anderson down this weekend.

They have him and Townsend visiting. They are looking for a stretch 4

Lanier OR Gayle
Tyson
Igor

Seconded. I'd pass on Mabor tho w/ Brown likely coming next year.

@bleedingTNorange @Stoerner Fumbles Is the situation with Lanier touch and go? Alot of speculation around him, but I just find it odd that he didn't enter the portal when he declared for the draft. Would be surprised if he stayed in the draft but can't imagine him going back to North Florida. Basilio has been saying that the Bone brothers have been strongly advocating for Tennessee.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Are you watching the right Tucker Anderson? He takes more 3’s than 2’s and is a perimeter orientated tall guard, that’s nothing like Cade.
I don't know about that. They're pretty similar if you ask me. Both are going to be small forwards in this offense. Between the two, Anderson averaged 1 more 3-pt attempt and 1 less 2-pt attempt per 40 minutes. Tyson may be a little more physical, but also a year older.

That's not to say I don't think we should aim for both as like you were saying, they are different classes, Anderson may be more willing to be a depth piece next year, and it provides some roster class depth.

Edit: unless he is talking about Cade Phillips, in which case I'm with you. Not very similar. I assumed he was projecting Cade Tyson onto the roster.

I don't know about that. They're pretty similar if you ask me. Both are going to be small forwards in this offense. Between the two, Anderson averaged 1 more 3-pt attempt and 1 less 2-pt attempt per 40 minutes. Tyson may be a little more physical, but also a year older.

That's not to say I don't think we should aim for both as like you were saying, they are different classes, Anderson may be more willing to be a depth piece next year, and it provides some roster class depth.
I was talking about Phillips my man

Thanks for the backup though lmaoooo

VN Store

Back