2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Yup…as I’ve shared that’s the interest in Gayle, they won’t add both.
How long can you afford to wait? Lanier's percentages are better but Gayle has multiple years....not that it's a guarantee he spends them in Knoxville should we sign him. Gayle is thicker and looks more physical. Better defender? One would have to think a "moving on point" is drawing near for Barnes and UT with Lanier? Hey, I can see us missing out on Lanier, Gayle and Tyson, but that's kinda my nature. We gotta get one of those guys don't we?

How long can you afford to wait? Lanier's percentages are better but Gayle has multiple years....not that it's a guarantee he spends them in Knoxville should we sign him. Gayle is thicker and looks more physical. Better defender? One would have to think a "moving on point" is drawing near for Barnes and UT with Lanier? Hey, I can see us missing out on Lanier, Gayle and Tyson, but that's kinda my nature. We gotta get one of those guys don't we?

They're not waiting though... if Gayle schedules a visit to get on campus and wants to commit he will. You have to remember our staff is very respectful during recruiting, we don't show up to dinner unless invited. We don't pressure players into cancelling other visits. We shoot them straight and are realistic with everyone.

Here's a new face we might end up having interest in as well.

6'8" 225lbs, 3 years, played in 19 games just 7.5 mpg and was a 2.4 ppg and 2.1 rpg player. Top 75 national player in his class, we recruited him before.

He'd fit the big that comes to develop for a year before starting mold too.

Reactions: Volfan1000
If so, wonder where we turn to next?

I hope we go after Ryan Conwell, he played the 3 at Indians State. Absolute baller, and Coach Rod just follows him on IG the other night….I believe after Cade’s visit

Him and Lanier, my lord
I'd love to see it, but I'd read somewhere that he was a priority for the Hoosiers.

Oh then we don’t have a shot. They throwing around dumb money
Well, we've been far more successful and relevant as a program of late so that's in our favor. Plus, one would assume there's some animosity between Indiana State and Indiana? Might be some of that influences the kid?? Regardless, while I'm not as active as many in digging into this portal stuff, I've not seen us mentioned with him anywhere else.

I really think we're going to end up with Gayle, Dubar, Milocic from the portal. We'll also add projects in Anderson and Mabor. Combine that with the return of Awaka and keeping Mashack, and I'd think we're done...assuming my math is correct.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I made the mistake of checking the UNC boards last night. Tennessee is apparently the worst basketball program on the face of the earth, Knoxville (and East Tennessee in general) is a backwater wasteland that can't compare to their idyllic little hamlet, and if a recruit so much as breathes the air on their campus, they have no choice but to commit on the spot. I used to pull for UNC against Duke, but now I want their basketball program (and perhaps their school) to collapse in on itself like a dying star. What a bunch of self important blowhards.

They've got a great tradition and I respect their success, but I can't imagine being so warped that you refuse to acknowledge that other schools can be compelling in ways yours won't be able to match.

I made the mistake of checking the UNC boards last night. Tennessee is apparently the worst basketball program on the face of the earth, Knoxville (and East Tennessee in general) is a backwater wasteland that can't compare to their idyllic little hamlet, and if a recruit so much as breathes the air on their campus, they have no choice but to commit on the spot. I used to pull for UNC against Duke, but now I want their basketball program (and perhaps their school) to collapse in on itself like a dying star. What a bunch of self important blowhards.

They've got a great tradition and I respect their success, but I can't imagine being so warped that you refuse to acknowledge that other schools can be compelling in ways yours won't be able to match.
Blue bloods haven't coped well with the fact that they can't just stock up on 5 stars anymore and win with them. It's more of an even playing field now with the portal. They can't just use their tradition to get the best of the best anymore.

Their campus was very underwhelming and for a program with the history they have, I thought they would have a better stadium. Terrible traffic on gameday. Also Chapel Hill/Durhan area is not anything special. Durham is more of a dump. East TN and Knoxville is far superior and sits right off the river next to downtown.

I'm guessing it probably wasn't mentioned that we've gone further than UNC in the tournament the last 2 years?

Amen. Could duplicate that and insert Kentucky instead of UNC and it would still read accurate.

Chapel Hill is absolutely despised in the Raleigh area for exactly this kind of elitism.

Here's something a lot of Vol fans don't know. UNC fans HATE Rick Barnes. Like, hate-hate. Goes back to his time at Clemson playing a physical brand of basketball that Dean Smith hated. Then all the things Rick had said about blue bloods and the power they and Dean Smith had over the ACC. There was apparently at one point a meeting that ACC folks called with Rick Barnes one summer. And when he showed up, Dean Smith is sitting there in the meeting while the ACC tells Rick to have his boys play softer. That didn't go over well. Culminated in the conflict Rick and Dean got into on the court in Chapel Hill.

I learned all of this from a colleague who is a massive UNC basketball fan and from North Carolina. He gets as much joy out of seeing Rick Barnes lose, wherever he is, as he does Duke. I of course tell him his opinion as a UNC fan doesn't mean much because he got his degree at NC State - but I digress.

Here's something a lot of Vol fans don't know. UNC fans HATE Rick Barnes. Like, hate-hate. Goes back to his time at Clemson playing a physical brand of basketball that Dean Smith hated. Then all the things Rick had said about blue bloods and the power they and Dean Smith had over the ACC. There was apparently at one point a meeting that ACC folks called with Rick Barnes one summer. And when he showed up, Dean Smith is sitting there in the meeting while the ACC tells Rick to have his boys play softer. That didn't go over well. Culminated in the conflict Rick and Dean got into on the court in Chapel Hill.

I learned all of this from a colleague who is a massive UNC basketball fan and from North Carolina. He gets as much joy out of seeing Rick Barnes lose, wherever he is, as he does Duke. I of course tell him his opinion as a UNC fan doesn't mean much because he got his degree at NC State - but I digress.

I can vouch for this. Two of my best friends are UNC fans and the do not like Rick Barnes. It was a strange thing to hear given our experience with him at UT, but, yes, it originates with his years at Clemson and, apparently, his tensions with Dean and the Heels. "Not that damn four corners again!"

What sucks is Dean Smith and Rick Barnes became good friends after all this, but their fans forget that..

VN Store

Back