2024 Transfer Portal Thread

They at least have a coach experienced in that field.

Yep. Not saying it’s abnormal. But he’s also mixing freshmen with portal talent this time instead of all HS talent for the most part. I think Arkansas will be very good, but it’s hard to say. Right now, I’d probably project them and Alabama as the likely top 2 pre-season for the SEC with Tennessee close behind. SEC is going to loaded yet again. This conference has just become a bear.

Yep. Not saying it’s abnormal. But he’s also mixing freshmen with portal talent this time instead of all HS talent for the most part. I think Arkansas will be very good, but it’s hard to say. Right now, I’d probably project them and Alabama as the likely top 2 pre-season for the SEC with Tennessee close behind. SEC is going to loaded yet again. This conference has just become a bear.
He's done it mixing both freshmen and transfers the last several years. Reeves, Mitchell, Tshiebwe, Toppin, Fredrick, Wheeler, Grady, Mintz just in the last 3 years were all transfers.

Yeah, Cal is a 1 year roster guy. Hasn't worked great as of late since other teams in conference are now landing talent that can compete and are better Xs & Os as well as player developers.

I think Arkansas is just less stress with more NIL behind basketball, but I'm not sure that's going to change Cal's success rate with his philosophy guess we'll see how it goes.

He's done it mixing both freshmen and transfers the last several years. Reeves, Mitchell, Tshiebwe, Toppin, Fredrick, Wheeler, Grady, Mintz just in the last 3 years were all transfers.

I know. I guess I misspoke. I think what I was just trying to say is it looks like, based on who they have landed and are projected to land in the pirtal this season, Cal might be trying to go a bit older and portal heavy than years past. Although part of that may just be out of necessity in Year 1. He’ll always have a heavy focus on high school talent, but it does look like he is evolving a bit to focus more on building his roster with the portal.

I know. I guess I misspoke. I think what I was just trying to say is it looks like, based on who they have landed and are projected to land in the pirtal this season, Cal might be trying to go a bit older and portal heavy than years past. Although part of that may just be out of necessity in Year 1. He’ll always have a heavy focus on high school talent, but it does look like he is evolving a bit to focus more on building his roster with the portal.
Hard to gauge whether that is 100% timing or something less. His hire date definitely didn’t allow for recruiting HS kids.

He made the move to Arkansas pretty late in the season to really develop and pull an elite HS class so I think that's why he's building so heavily in the portal. And I do agree it appears to be more starter/experience focused than his typical choices.

Lost 8 via portal and only has 3 HS players as of now, so he'll probably have 5+ in the portal... don't expect that'll be the case in the 25 class though.

Agree on Lanier. Not just for his scoring, but someone mentioned he could run the point in a pinch if necessary. Since we apparently aren't in the mix for Anderson Jr, gotta get Lanier to help out with spelling ZZ at times as well as a longer term backup if something happens to ZZ again. Want no part of starting Gainey or Mashack at the point longer term. One thing I wondered about Tyson was where he'd play? Would he have taken minutes from Carr? I saw Igor as a stretch 4 and Dubar as a JJJ replacement. If we'd have gotten Tyson would Carr have been tempted to hit the portal?

On the subject of tinkering with shots, if it's working, I'm not sure I'd tinker with it. Yeah, I know that's what it means to "coach", but I see it kinda like a golf swing. Different doesn't mean wrong just different. Are coaches trying to change "different" swings of guys like Trevino, Furyk, or Wolf?? Wonder how many guys tried to get Rick Barry to switch back to a conventional shot at the free throw line after he had success with his 2 hand under shot? I think the only way you try to change them is if they go into a funk, but how long will something like that take to become second nature? They start "thinking" instead of just letting it fly and it's going to be a problem more often than not. Look at what happened with Vescovi when his mind went haywire this year. I say leave them both alone and enjoy the short time we get to see them play. Having said that, I'm usually wrong and no one is paying me to coach anything.
If they can’t spell ZZ then we have some serious education problems at UT 😝

Hard to gauge whether that is 100% timing or something less. His hire date definitely didn’t allow for recruiting HS kids.
Yes, and he didn’t get the full-blown “pied piper” effect he probably assumed he would in regards to the freshman class he had signed to UK. Travis Perry was probably the only kid he expected to not follow him to Arkansas. He got half of the others to follow, but then he had to pivot to transfers to fill out the roster based mostly on timing and lack of suitable HS options.

My bad. Literally every vol fan on Twitter was saying that’s his brother lol. I thought I saw someone reputable say something but I just missed it. My bad
He does have a brother playing lower-level college basketball at Cedarville University in Ohio. His name is David Okpara. I know one of his teammates as he is from the same school my daughters attend.

UNC use all of their NIL money on Tyson and keeping current players so losing out on the bigs in the market?
Huh? That guy is a high priority for them since Bacot is out of eligibility. I tend to think they will get him. Bama is getting the crappy 5 from Kentucky

About Dubar & Lanier's shot in my opinion you leave it alone because they were two of the most efficient offensive players in the entire country.... And they are not freshmen they are Seniors... Tyrese Haliburton has a ugly shot but he's one of the best three-point shooters in the NBA... I think it's not as much about how pretty or ugly the shot is but it's about what works with your body as well.... Dubar has the height and length and even strength to get his shot off on the perimeter pretty much against anyone... Lanier has a quick shot with the ability to create plenty of space off the dribble. They both will be fine imo. Changing their shots with only one season of college left might not be the best idea... They will be brought in to help with the offense, Seems like the focus from staff would shift more to defense first for them, continued strength training and so on.
I agree with you. You make a change to fix an issue. What problem is being solved? Inconsistency? Blocked shots? Improving ability to get a shot off?

JT Toppin, freshman from New Mexico, just entered the portal. Averaged 12.4 pts and 9.1 rebs in his first year in a very strong Mountain West. 6-9, 210 PF who was the MWC ROY and all-MWC member.

Not someone likely to consider Tennessee, or someone we'd pursue given we've already addressed our post needs, but just an illustration that talented guys are entering the portal even up to the last minute.

No relation to Obi or Jacob Toppin that I'm aware of, as they were from Brooklyn, NY, and this kid is from Dallas.

Reactions: oldaaucoach
I chose UK over teams like A&M and Texas just because 1. I haven’t really looked into A&M much, know they got a solid portal center. Texas, not really impressed with, they lost two good players, they picked up Pope, so I guess that’s good, have some decent returners as well.

I’m also basing UK off who they are expected to land.
Butler / Robinson / Brea / Carr / Osobor

PF/Center: Williams off the bench
Can’t deny that’s a pretty strong lineup if they get those guys.
Brandon Garrison to KY

Reactions: TrippieRedd

VN Store

Back