2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Right, because you can just transfer again, but that closed May 1st…so relax a bit lol.
The next question is when will that window be challenged in court? The NCAA has lost all of its teeth to litigation. I was a fan of players going after them for arbitrary rules that were genuinely unfair, but taking the NCAA to court to challenge every rule in existence is going to threaten to neuter them into eventual oblivion with each loss in court. There are no guardrails anymore, no guidelines. The ability to challenge each and every rule makes the NCAA a useless entity. First it was transfers, then it was NIL, then it was multiple transfers...when you can/can't transfer just feels like the next natural progression towards this era of structureless anarchy. It is starting to feel like that eventually the only restriction will be the schools' admissions restrictions and deadlines.

The next question is when will that window be challenged in court? The NCAA has lost all of its teeth to litigation. I was a fan of players going after them for arbitrary rules that were genuinely unfair, but taking the NCAA to court to challenge every rule in existence is going to threaten to neuter them into eventual oblivion with each loss in court. There are no guardrails anymore, no guidelines. The ability to challenge each and every rule makes the NCAA a useless entity. First it was transfers, then it was NIL, then it was multiple transfers...when you can/can't transfer just feels like the next natural progression towards this era of structureless anarchy. It is starting to feel like that eventually the only restriction will be the schools' admissions restrictions and deadlines.

In the war room hubbs said they’re really optimistic about Lanier committing to Tennessee after the draft process. He cautioned about NIL offers, but also said that Tennessee is the clear favorite. He then confirmed Hammonds will be on campus early next week confirming reports. He also said as of this moment he doesn’t have any power 5 offers yet. If he visits and has a good time and Tennessee feels comfortable offering him I could see this getting done pretty quickly. We are very interested in him and he seems interested in us for sure. Tennessee offering is a big deal in this day and age.

In the war room hubbs said they’re really optimistic about Lanier committing to Tennessee after the draft process. He cautioned about NIL offers, but also said that Tennessee is the clear favorite. He then confirmed Hammonds will be on campus early next week confirming reports. He also said as of this moment he doesn’t have any power 5 offers yet. If he visits and has a good time and Tennessee feels comfortable offering him I could see this getting done pretty quickly. We are very interested in him and he seems interested in us for sure. Tennessee offering is a big deal in this day and age.
Not sure where Hubbs is getting that Hammond has no D1 offers. He was signed to Rhode Island and has several other reported D1 offers, though they could be noncommittal, I suppose.

Edit: nevermind...he said P5, not D1

Last edited:
I have never followed college basketball this closely in May. Man, the transfer portal has changed the game. So many moving pieces and so much drama.

This has felt like a coaching search since Easter; everyday a new piece of news. Hard to believe that this is the new normal, though I think it will be to our benefit, as it should benefit most schools with established coaches. Transfer hot spot.

Last edited:
I’m not panicking, sheesh. I posted a tweet that was informational and noted roughly 20 schools contacting Lanier, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in a transfer portal thread where we are literally only pursuing one transfer right now and have no other targets to talk about.

We can’t all be “insiders” and have access to information like you do, so a healthy level of skepticism in an era where things can flip on its head at any moment is perfectly reasonable.
99% of this board = not insiders.

Keep posting @ Mookie as I enjoy your comments.

Ontw
78 players get invited to the combine. Lanier’s fate isn’t hanging on an invite. He is surrounded by people who understand that he has the tools to move up significantly by the 25 draft. Unless certain teams hint that he could get that grade now, he’s not staying in the draft.
Interesting. I wonder when he’ll withdraw his name from the draft?

Not worked up. Rules, as I perceived them, just didn't make sense. Seemed like following this portal biz was a monumental waste of time which is no small thing for a man my age. Now it's a bit clearer
I can’t stand big govt but someone has to step in and get a handle on this portal mess. College athletics will lose great coaches This will give younger coaches an opportunity but I hate to see college athletics become so tainted.

Agree. There a lot of interesting discussions to be had over the next few years. I've seen some things on Twitter about football folks already preparing to break away. There will be a lot of interesting routes that can take, as well as what happens to all of the other sports under the NCAA umbrella. Football has fed a lot of mouths for other sports. If they take that away, what happens?

Reactions: cncchris33
Anyone can sue the NCAA and probably win. I would guess that actually having some dates where the portal is closed is supported by coaches and universities so it would take a single player to sue NCAA which makes it a little less likely to happen right away.

I have never followed college basketball this closely in May. Man, the transfer portal has changed the game. So many moving pieces and so much drama.

This has felt like a coaching search since Easter; everyday a new piece of news. Hard to believe that this is the new normal, though I think it will be to our benefit, as it should benefit most schools with established coaches. Transfer hot spot.
I actually like the portal, it makes it easy to get over the end of the season. The day after the last game my focus turned to who are the Vols getting rather than going on about the plays from the last game.

I actually like the portal, it makes it easy to get over the end of the season. The day after the last game my focus turned to who are the Vols getting rather than going on about the plays from the last game.
I like it too. Some (not all) of the NIL stuff I don’t like, but the portal gives the student athlete more freedom. Nothing wrong with that.

VN Store

Back