2024 Transfer Portal Thread

It’s not normal, but the reason it isn’t normal is that guys get drafted after putting up those numbers if they’re great players. He’s definitely once in a generation so he’s “generational” in some sense but it’s not talent and I’d argue it’s not “player” either since there’s been other better players who didn’t stick around in college so long. Maybe call him a “generational college stat generator” or something because “generational talent” and “generational player” both already have connotations that don’t quite fit.
So, back to the original discussion, which people used my words to divert from. Zach Edey’s aren’t just available to recruit every year. Let’s end it there.

Reactions: knoxvol52
If he were generational he would have been one and done. End of discussion as far as I am concerned. You clearly aren’t going to back off your viewpoint on this.
Was Ralph Sampson generational talent ? If so he stayed all 4 years at Virginia and yes they could go pro early back in the 80's

Reactions: VOLED
lol…just stop. He’s one of 8 players ever to score 2500 points and grab 1300 rebounds. First since 1990. Yes, his production was the definition of generational.

You would love a player at UT with those numbers. I guess you can recruit them anytime.
The post was about the favorable calls or non calls he got. If you don’t recognize that then you are just blind. Doesn’t mean he was a good player just means he got a lot of advantages. If they treated Awaka like Edey he would have never been in foul trouble.

Imagine taking a decent baseball player and telling him he was one of only a few allowed to use PEDs with no consequence. Would you be surprised when his power numbers shot up? The only difference is Edey's PEDs wore striped shirts.

The post was about the favorable calls or non calls he got. If you don’t recognize that then you are just blind. Doesn’t mean he was a good player just means he got a lot of advantages. If they treated Awaka like Edey he would have never been in foul trouble.
I don’t disagree with that, but that was not the original discussion and got off track. That’s what happens on VN. If you can’t give him some praise for developing as a player, then we have nothing to discuss. I’m done because it got away from the original point. That’s fine.

I don’t disagree with that, but that was not the original discussion and got off track. That’s what happens on VN. If you can’t give him some praise for developing as a player, then we have nothing to discuss. I’m done because it got away from the original point. That’s fine.
Only Rainbows and Unicorns ..

Reactions: VolGee4
Imagine taking a decent baseball player and telling him he was one of only a few allowed to use PEDs with no consequence. Would you be surprised when his power numbers shot up? The only difference is Edey's PEDs wore striped shirts.
Ahem…Barry Bonds. I’m not a fan of the steroid era, but Bonds was phenomenal before and after steroids.

I’m done.

Ahem…Barry Bonds. I’m not a fan of the steroid era, but Bonds was phenomenal before and after steroids.

I’m done.
He's also not in the Hall of Fame. And his stats carry a stigma. No one actually talks about him as a "generational talent" though he might have been. What they talk about is the steroids.

Edey has generational size but didn’t know how to take advantage of it right away.

I don’t think he necessarily gets a special whistle. I think that he’s learned how to adapt to how refs make calls and exploited it the last 2 seasons.

What does Edey's merits or lack thereof or his call baiting have to do with our Transfer targets?

Can we please use this thread for transfer news?

Like a lot of others, I cant live on here, so when I log in and see three pages of updates, I have to dig through 50 posts worth of off topic arguing to see one nugget of news.

There are plenty of other places to argue on here, use them please.

I’ve already discussed it. He did get calls, but he was also the back to back NPOY. He’s a top 3 college center in the last 20 years, so he is a generational talent.
Considering that there's maybe 1000 people in the the entire world at his height, I don't feel that's realistic. Players 4" shorter than him are rare enough, and even those with better skills than Edey don't get his production.

Big brain analogy

Will you all stop talking about Zach ****ing Edey in here lol... I get it is slowwww nowadays but if there is nothing solid or at least .1% relevant to the topic of this thread keep it to yourselves.
We've got folks saying we need to go get an Edey as if that's a realistic goal. Besides the fact that people that size are so rare, teams almost always find a way to recruit them only to find out that they have a limited skill set and limited growth. I think we've done a good job so far of targeting transfers that fill the skill sets we need and getting commitments from them.

Reactions: VolPack22
Was Ralph Sampson generational talent ? If so he stayed all 4 years at Virginia and yes they could go pro early back in the 80's
Ralph Sampson averaged 15ppg, 11reb, and well over 4 blocks as a freshman. He would have been a top pick if he had decided and everyone knows it. He wanted to come out after his junior year but he didn’t want to risk being drafted by the Clippers due to there being a coin flip between the Lakers and the timeframe for him to declare was before the coin flip was suppose to take place. And on top of that, the NBA wasn’t the money maker that it is now. Might as well stay one more year if the number 1 pick isn’t getting paid diddly squat. The highest salary back then was $2.2M and the average salary wasn’t even $300k. Most NBA teams didn’t draft players unless they had at least 2 years of experience also. Wayyy different era back then. Where would Edey be drafted if he came out after his freshman or sophomore year, even his junior year? Undrafted to 2nd round AT BEST. Probably playing overseas. The fact that he is a fringe 1st rounder should tell people all they need to know.

Ralph Sampson averaged 15ppg, 11reb, and well over 4 blocks as a freshman. He would have been a top pick if he had decided and everyone knows it. He wanted to come out after his junior year but he didn’t want to risk being drafted by the Clippers due to there being a coin flip between the Lakers and the timeframe for him to declare was before the coin flip was suppose to take place. And on top of that, the NBA wasn’t the money maker that it is now. Might as well stay one more year if the number 1 pick isn’t getting paid diddly squat. The highest salary back then was $2.2M and the average salary wasn’t even $300k. Most NBA teams didn’t draft players unless they had at least 2 years of experience also. Wayyy different era back then. Where would Edey be drafted if he came out after his freshman or sophomore year, even his junior year? Undrafted to 2nd round AT BEST. Probably playing overseas. The fact that he is a fringe 1st rounder should tell people all they need to know.
Edey most likely gets drafted in 2nd round by a team that has 3 or 4 picks.

Then put him in Developmental League during season.

Reactions: VolPack22
What does Edey's merits or lack thereof or his call baiting have to do with our Transfer targets?

Can we please use this thread for transfer news?

Like a lot of others, I cant live on here, so when I log in and see three pages of updates, I have to dig through 50 posts worth of off topic arguing to see one nugget of news.

There are plenty of other places to argue on here, use them please.

The thread title isn’t transfer targets. No doubt the dots can be connected from the Edey comments to portal or transfer activity.

When there’s a signing there will be new threads on it. You can relax and ignore this 2024 Transfer Portal thread and instead look for new signing announcement threads.

Doesn't matter to me either way about Edey's NBA career. He could be a decent role player or be a bust, Jokic was a unknown drafted in Second round and became a 3 time NBA MVP and NBA champion. Draymond Green was nothing more than a above average player and has became a mainstay in Golden State.

Let's not even make a list of top picks and lottery picks that were worthless in NBA.

Edey sucks and is a big guy that camps in the lane.

Any decent big man with skills will eat him alive in the NBA
I mean, he is a 2 time NPOY. He clearly does not suck lol.

I do think he will have a hard time making it in the NBA, but lots of great college players do.

He's also not in the Hall of Fame. And his stats carry a stigma. No one actually talks about him as a "generational talent" though he might have been. What they talk about is the steroids.
Sadly, he probably would have been talked about as a "generational talent" if he'd stayed away from them.

VN Store

Back