2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Definitely. Chaz is likely the difference in us being a top 10 team preseason and having a gaping hole at 2 guard and having some pretty big concerns heading into the year.

High school recruiting has to get better. Transfers can't be the recruiting strategy. The problem is kids want to leave after two years max if they aren't averaging major minutes.

Trilly says it’s a toss up between UT and UK for Lanier as of tonight. The Vols insiders on the discord are holding steady that we are still looking good and the only time to worry is if we start scrambling for a starting-caliber 2 guard.
My only real worry is that KY will swoop in at the last minute with a ridiculous NIL offer that he just can't say no to. It's been stated by many that we don't do bidding wars. As long as the NIL packages are close in value, I would think we're good.

These things can change and I've not talked to them in about a week, but someone I trust to know said last week, that the confidence has been high on Lanier because he told the staff when this process started it was either the NBA or he was coming to Tennessee. That's why you've not seen a lot of activity towards a high caliber replacement imo. The staff is taking him at his word and expects him to stick with that if he pulls from the draft.

These things can change and I've not talked to them in about a week, but someone I trust to know said last week, that the confidence has been high on Lanier because he told the staff when this process started it was either the NBA or he was coming to Tennessee. That's why you've not seen a lot of activity towards a high caliber replacement imo. The staff is taking him at his word and expects him to stick with that if he pulls from the draft.
Was the G league part of this? I view the G league just as good as college, but I wonder if he’s able to get more money/incentives w/ G League

Dangerous. When money gets involved, a lot of these kids forget about "their word". I do think KY can outbid us when it comes to BB. We'll just have to hope Lanier is one of those rare ones who still believes in honoring his word. If not, we may have hurt ourselves by not having a contingency.

Reactions: SlyStone

Scary game. If you miss on him, you’re pretty much screwed on getting a quality transfer because most of the “good” transfers still available play positions we don’t need next season.

Hope it plays out.

Reactions: berryvol
My only real worry is that KY will swoop in at the last minute with a ridiculous NIL offer that he just can't say no to. It's been stated by many that we don't do bidding wars. As long as the NIL packages are close in value, I would think we're good.
It’s also been stated that UK’s NIL game is lacking. One of a few reasons Cal left them.

Reactions: Smokey 77
When it comes to money nobody honors their word. If Lanier was a scrub then we wouldnt care a bit to pull his scholarship if need be. Im on the players side. Take the money Brother. It dont look like his NBA prospects are great anyway.

Reactions: rojas1187
BTO, percentage wise, how confident are you we still end up landing Lanier? You comfortable putting a number on it? I’m just confident enough to say 55-60%, but I’m not sold with all these other reports floating around.
Still 99.9%

As I said before, if someone comes in dropping a new record NIL number that could change things, and maybe UK is desperate enough to do that, but I don’t believe that to be the case.

Umps called it a strike

I honestly think that Edey will be so bad in the NBA that he changes his name to Zach Eatery and becomes a pro at eating hot dogs likey Joey Chestnut or puts on 200 pounds and moves to Japan to become a Sumo wrestler....and by moves I mean gets loaded onto a cargo plane and air lifted.

It’s also been stated that UK’s NIL game is lacking. One of a few reasons Cal left them.
I would think that has probably been addressed, at least somewhat, based on Cal's very public statements. I mean, it's great for us if it hasn't, but public shaming is a great motivator.

I honestly think that Edey will be so bad in the NBA that he changes his name to Zach Eatery and becomes a pro at eating hot dogs likey Joey Chestnut or puts on 200 pounds and moves to Japan to become a Sumo wrestler....and by moves I mean gets loaded onto a cargo plane and air lifted.

Basilio said pro wrestling should be his destination. He has that natural, dead eye heel look. Get the ref to call matches in his favor and you have a hated giant back in the ring.

When it comes to money nobody honors their word. If Lanier was a scrub then we wouldnt care a bit to pull his scholarship if need be. Im on the players side. Take the money Brother. It dont look like his NBA prospects are great anyway.
Maybe not but if a bum like Patrick Beverley can find a team to play for, there is no rhyme or reason Chaz Lanier can't find a team to play for.

I will say it’s funny that a week ago it was Maryland everyone was worried about and that we heard was the other team in play and talking to him. Now it’s UK and we’ve not heard a word about Maryland.
The transfer portal is a competitive space, and as mentioned weeks ago, players already committed to schools are still getting NIL offers from coaches of other programs in attempts to poach them. Chaz Lanier is a highly touted transfer so I'm not surprised that there's some late push by other schools to poach him.

For context, we came in pretty late in the race to get Dalton Knecht. It was the transparency by CRB and the coaching staff on coaching him hard and helping him improve on defense that made him commit to TN over the likes of 20+ other schools pursuing him such as UNC, Kansas, and ironically Kentucky, probably throwing all sorts of NIL and inflated promises to him.

And, just throwing this below just for fun since we're talking bout Kentucky pursuing Chaz Lanier. If we do have a strong relationship with Lanier, then I don't see how we don't land him.

Last edited:
Possible he could be telling our staff and theirs what they want hear. 2.5 hour zoom call for someone you aren’t interested in doesn’t make much sense.
I will say this, if someone had me on a 2.5 hour zoom call there is zero chance I’d even consider them. That sounds like torture.

VN Store

Back