2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not with this style of offense...Speed is essential in all positions in a high-speed offense...
There's no need of a PF in the truest sense of the positionless offense. Karo is strong and has great finishing on a power-move. For a true PF to excel, they have to be able to use their power from the "set"...very few true PF's would be effective in a FB offense...The one that immediately comes to mind who would excel is Bashara Graves,,,in this offense you need :

Two very good combo-guards
Two true SF's (Rickea would have loved this offense, IMO)
and one very mobile, shot blocking center who can also score in transition and off of the dribble...Jillian will be perfect for this offense in this offense bc she is more of a Stretch-four with handles
Okay coach j,, thanks for the input.

Not with this style of offense...Speed is essential in all positions in a high-speed offense...
There's no need of a PF in the truest sense of the positionless offense. Karo is strong and has great finishing on a power-move. For a true PF to excel, they have to be able to use their power from the "set"...very few true PF's would be effective in a FB offense...The one that immediately comes to mind who would excel is Bashara Graves,,,in this offense you need :

Two very good combo-guards
Two true SF's (Rickea would have loved this offense, IMO)
and one very mobile, shot blocking center who can also score in transition and off of the dribble...Jillian will be perfect for this offense in this offense bc she is more of a Stretch-four with handles
This is why I thought there would be several hit the portal.

Reactions: DarkPhoenix
Believe Sam's been at it, at least at P5 level, alot longer than the new guys. Her contacts are extensive by now. That isn't a false perception.

What is a false perception is that the new guys first two weeks, those two young transfers, is better than the last 4-5 years. Better than say when they got Rickea Jackson, Jewel Spear, Jillian Hollingshed, Destinee Wells just recently?
And don't forget the money. These new guys should be kicking Sam's butt in recruiting with the money they have to work with. How anyone thinks they can fairly compare the recruiting between Kelly's crew and this new one is beyond me.
More NIL money is a difference maker when it comes to closing the deal with some recruits.
I know some like to pretend it isn't a big factor, but that just isn't true.

Wonder how Rae Burrell managed to go from the 47th ranked player in her class to a first round draft pick? Jordan horston was a walking turnover her first two years who develop both her skill set and became an elite defender. Without development that doesn't happen. Some of the best top ranked players who ended up in the wrong programs with the wrong coaches never saw the W. The fact that she has four first rounders in 4 years speaks more volume than you seem to give Kellie credit for.
Yes. And Horston also worked with an outside coach over summers.

And don't forget the money. These new guys should be kicking Sam's butt in recruiting with the money they have to work with. How anyone thinks they can fairly compare the recruiting between Kelly's crew and this new one is beyond me.
More NIL money is a difference maker when it comes to closing the deal with some recruits.
It absolutely is the difference and was for several. Depending on a kid's situation, the money can be a major factor and let's not act like it didn't impact the previous staff.

Coach Jumper seems to have a personal vendetta against the previous staff now. He can't talk about Coach Kim without insulting the previous staff.

Why does the board continue to throw around this number? I don’t recall a credible source.

It's been reported by at least two media sources.
Can you tell us what those two sources are or post a link to them?

We're pretty selective on our outrage toward posting rumor as fact around here. Dark Phoenix got unmericifully roasted a couple of weeks ago for that in a matter not nearly as consequential as NIL money. I hope we can confirm the 2.3 mil or stop quoting it as fact.

Can you tell us what those two sources are or post a link to them?

We're pretty selective on our outrage toward posting rumor as fact around here. Dark Phoenix got unmericifully roasted a couple of weeks ago for that in a matter not nearly as consequential as NIL money. I hope we can confirm the 2.3 mil or stop quoting it as fact.
I know Maria was discussing that number as a fact on the 247 board (source: i am not a member there but my partner is)

It absolutely is the difference and was for several. Depending on a kid's situation, the money can be a major factor and let's not act like it didn't impact the previous staff.

Coach Jumper seems to have a personal vendetta against the previous staff now. He can't talk about Coach Kim without insulting the previous staff.
He has a personal vendetta against them all because they want no parts of his coaching "expertise" within their program. His I can be there tomorrow still hasn't gained any traction.

I know Maria was discussing that number as a fact on the 247 board (source: i am not a member there but my partner is)
That's a start, but I'd like additional confirmation before I accept it as fact. Maria has been flat out wrong and also caught repeating unverified rumor a few times lately.

Then someday I'd love to know the story on the weird timing of this money suddenly appearing during the coaching change.

This is rediculous. I dont know who starts the argument. Some build up Kelly. Some slam her. We only have one coach. Lets get behind her like Kentucky is supporting Pope. My impression is that every time a new recruit is mentioned, someone says Kelly was recruiting her and would have gotten her. Then someone slams Kelly and staff how that is not true. I dont care. Kelly is not our coach. NIL- We are the NIL. If we did not have enough NIL before, then WE did not give enough. Who cares what the actual number is now. It just needs to be enough for when our coaches need it. Bottom line: Do you care about the program or do you care more about being right and your petty issues. STOP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexad Vol
Kellie struggled recruiting at NC State before NIL…. Maybe the issue was her ability to recruit players and not NIL.

That's a start, but I'd like additional confirmation before I accept it as fact. Maria has been flat out wrong and also caught repeating unverified rumor a few times lately.

Then someday I'd love to know the story on the weird timing of this money suddenly appearing during the coaching change.
Ballout and 247. To be fair, lots of credible sources have been wrong and i consider Maria to he a credible source. Many credible sources also said Nye was coming here.

I would love to know that story too and I doubt we will never get the truth.

Ballout and 247. To be fair, lots of credible sources have been wrong and i consider Maria to he a credible source. Many credible sources also said Nye was coming here.

I would love to know that story too and I doubt we will never get the truth.

If anything the Ballout and Maria may have been part of her NOT coming after the accusations of poaching.

There is no professionalism from that camp, Maria is a thin skinned nincompoop. She has pretty much every Lady Vol fan blocked who isn’t paying her or curtsying to her in her little Facebook.

Its very simple. If people didnt think the program is going in right direction, they stopped going to games and donating. This has happened to many coaches over the years. On the football side, it happened to Majors, Fulmer, Jones, Pruitt. When the support is not there, ADs have to make financial decisions. I do not know that this happened this time. Donors get unhappy and some real unhappy ones offer to pay buyout. Look what happened to coach at Texas AM. Donors put their money where their mouth is when they want a change. It may be wierd however it is as old as time. Coaches have to smooze major donors all the time. AD did not not make a change in a vacuum.

Last edited:

I also wonder if we will ever get any clarity around NIL offerings from any school other than kind of gossip. I view it a lot like salaries. Little incentive to publish and promote unless you’re confident you’re out paying everyone. I’ve seen rumors around South Carolina, SoCal, and Iowa, but no one is definitively saying (to my limited knowledge at least) what their budget is.

I also wonder if we will ever get any clarity around NIL offerings from any school other than kind of gossip. I view it a lot like salaries. Little incentive to publish and promote unless you’re confident you’re out paying everyone. I’ve seen rumors around South Carolina, SoCal, and Iowa, but no one is definitively saying (to my limited knowledge at least) what their budget is.
In the SEC, LSU and Texas have the most NIL money.

Change has already happened. She has hired two new assistants and has inherited and recruited an entirely different caliber of players than her D2 and Marshall stops. And she is stepping into a far more competitive environment.

Those are not just superficial personnel changes where she is likely to go "welp, I am going to coach the LVs exactly like I did Glenville State."

I am not sure what you are actually bugged about. I did not ASSume that she is going to radically change her philosophy but only that there will have to be tweaks and modifications to reflect these new competitive conditions.

But, hey we will see. If the LVs play exactly like Glenville State, then you win the "prediction prize" but everyone else will be in for a loooohng season and CKC will likely be a year one coach.
Nope, if she guides the team to play in the uptempo manner laid out by our AD in the presser she will have remained true to her concepts. Game plans HAVE to change based on strengths of each squad and the officials, even in game, but does not require abandoning core principles.

It very simple. If people didnt think the program is going in right direction, they stopped going to games and donating. This has happened to many coaches over the years. On the football side, it happened to Majors, Fulmer, Jones, Pruitt. When the support is not there, ADs have to make financial decisions. I do not know that this happened this time. Donors get unhappy and some real unhappy ones offer to pay buyout. Look what happened to coach at Texas AM. Donors put their money where their mouth is when they want a change. It may be wierd however it is as old as time. Coaches have to smooze major donors all the time. AD did not not make a change in a vacuum.
I'm not saying if there should have been a change or not but attendance actually increased every year over the past five years and we likely ended up top 5 in attendance this past year. The stats came from the Lady Vols Twitter account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back