2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Rae has a protected contract this year, so they'd have to pay her even if she didn't make the final cut. Now they could still cut her, as I think they have a lot of cap room, but the fact they guaranteed her contract this year (and at $125K at that) makes me think they want her around.
Bad news on this. I heard a podcast today who said basically Rae and about 4 others are fighting for 2 remaining roster spots. Said several of them have protected contracts but like you said, LA has lots of cap room. Sure hope Rae can stick this year. They have another preseason game Friday night that will be huge for her.

Bad news on this. I heard a podcast today who said basically Rae and about 4 others are fighting for 2 remaining roster spots. Said several of them have protected contracts but like you said, LA has lots of cap room. Sure hope Rae can stick this year. They have another preseason game Friday night that will be huge for her.
That is depressing news.Rae’s game is a poor man’s version of rickea’s

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Why would they throw away money on a protected contract for a marginal player? At least she can relax this summer if she gets cut.

Why would they throw away money on a protected contract for a marginal player? At least she can relax this summer if she gets cut.
WNBA personnel decision have never made a lot of sense to be but here is what might be going on. The Sparks signed Rae to a two year contract (with one year guaranteed at 125K) back in February. She is a good player and known to the team so that signing was a hedge against uncertainty. But 125K is a relatively cheap contract in the new WNBA collective bargaining agreement and not much of a hit on the Sparks cap, particularly with their new 2 stars being rookies.

So, you have Rae signed and can wait and see who you add in the draft and who becomes available as free agents. If the sense is that Rae does not have a place in the final roster, then you eat the salary.

I have said before the W is a brutal business.

WNBA personnel decision have never made a lot of sense to be but here is what might be going on. The Sparks signed Rae to a two year contract (with one year guaranteed at 125K) back in February. She is a good player and known to the team so that signing was a hedge against uncertainty. But 125K is a relatively cheap contract in the new WNBA collective bargaining agreement and not much of a hit on the Sparks cap, particularly with their new 2 stars being rookies.

So, you have Rae signed and can wait and see who you add in the draft and who becomes available as free agents. If the sense is that Rae does not have a place in the final roster, then you eat the salary.

I have said before the W is a brutal business.
Exactly what the podcast said. Several have those guarantees, said it’s likely someone w a guarantee will get cut. Even as lottery picks, Rickea and Cam came unbelievably cheap.
Saw an article on anticipated Olympic team today. It included Diana T. For the love of all that is goodness and light surely she should not be on that team!! All these amazing young players! Yuck!
One of the most egregious acts of public selfishness I’ve ever seen. The US Olympic Committee should cap the number of appearances since DT obviously doesn’t have the morals to do it on her own.

Exactly what the podcast said. Several have those guarantees, said it’s likely someone w a guarantee will get cut. Even as lottery picks, Rickea and Cam came unbelievably cheap.

One of the most egregious acts of public selfishness I’ve ever seen. The US Olympic Committee should cap the number of appearances since DT obviously doesn’t have the morals to do it on her own.
One more thing on Rae, she has enough experience and success in Europe to demand that her opportunity costs are compensated. In other words, if she commits to the Sparks she can't try to earn a roster spot with the Mystics, or the Sky etc. Every other quality vet has the same expectation so these kind of contracts are a cost of doing business.

She’s not even one of the top 4 current guards who would be eligible to play for the USA. What a selfish a$$hole, but not the least bit surprised.

If Clark gets passed over for DT, it just shows that women’s basketball just can’t get out of their own way.

The Storm beat Phoenix in preseason.

Game wasn't televised but I found a box score. Jordy played just under 15 mins, didn't shoot well, just 1-7 but had 9 rebounds which is great. Storm plays agains Tuesday, it's a 10 pm game but will be on ESPN 3.

Jordy bringing the D

edited bc the Liberty didn't stink up every preseason game last night, it just seemed like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LV renaissance
Chicago humiliated the LIberty, not the Storm; they beat Phoenix.

The shocking thing about the Sky/Liberty game is that the Liberty had all 5 starters available, and every single one of them stunk it up. Not a way to bring in more fans. At least pretend to try.

Reactions: brittannica

The shocking thing about the Sky/Liberty game is that the Liberty had all 5 starters available, and every single one of them stunk it up. Not a way to bring in more fans. At least pretend to try.
Of course, you're right, I even watched the game. Definitely shocking how poorly the Liberty 'superteam' played. Guess that's why I want to hang every loss on them.

Yeah I was especially shocked at how bad Stewie looked. Looked like she didn’t touch a ball or do a workout all offseason. Like a baby deer out there.

Yeah I was especially shocked at how bad Stewie looked. Looked like she didn’t touch a ball or do a workout all offseason. Like a baby deer out there.
The Storm, with their newly enhanced roster, looked pretty lackluster against the Sparks the other night as well. Alot of the vets seem unprepared for the new shot of energy the rookies and rookie coaches like TSpoon are bringing. They don't care if its "just" preseason.

She’s not even one of the top 4 current guards who would be eligible to play for the USA. What a selfish a$$hole, but not the least bit surprised.

If Clark gets passed over for DT, it just shows that women’s basketball just can’t get out of their own way.

Clark will definitely be on the Olympic team; I have zero doubt about that. NOBODY associated with USA Basketball would want to have to deal with the fallout that would result if she were left off the roster. It would be the scandal of the games.

Taurasi is highly likely to make the roster as well. Shame on her. And look, the woman can still play! It's true -- she's still a great player. But there are plenty of other great players who deserve an opportunity to experience Olympic glory. It really is a crying shame she feels no compassion for others who don't get their shot because she wants to add to her vast collection of medals.

It truly is sickening.

At this point, selfish as*holery is overtaking DT's career accomplishments.

She could instantly restore the respect she's definitely lost by going to the next USA Basketball training camp, then holding a press conference afterward to announce that while she has thoroughly enjoyed all her Olympic experiences, all her teammates and coaches and support of American fans, and has given her all to Team USA, she has decided to step away so that another American athlete can fulfill her dreams as well.

I would love that for everyone.

Clark will definitely be on the Olympic team; I have zero doubt about that. NOBODY associated with USA Basketball would want to have to deal with the fallout that would result if she were left off the roster. It would be the scandal of the games.

Taurasi is highly likely to make the roster as well. Shame on her. And look, the woman can still play! It's true -- she's still a great player. But there are plenty of other great players who deserve an opportunity to experience Olympic glory. It really is a crying shame she feels no compassion for others who don't get their shot because she wants to add to her vast collection of medals.

It truly is sickening.

Yeah my issue with Taurasi is that the Olympics has NEVER been about individual accomplishments. Especially in a team sport, it’s about representing the USA and bringing home gold. She’s on some personal quest to set a record that can’t be broken “just because:”

She should be left off. It’s about representing the USA, giving people a chance to represent their country and having the experience. I wouldn’t be mad to see them pass a 2 Olympics rule. 2 and done. Let someone else have a shot. The number of extremely talented players who have not gotten a chance to represent USA because of Bird and Taurasi is sickeningly long at this point.

And aren’t DTs parents Italian immigrants? If she wants to keep playing in the Olympics go play for Italy. You’ve represented the USA plenty.

Yeah my issue with Taurasi is that the Olympics has NEVER been about individual accomplishments. Especially in a team sport, it’s about representing the USA and bringing home gold. She’s on some personal quest to set a record that can’t be broken “just because:”
It might be different also if DT's presence on the team made a hill of beans worth difference in the team winning gold or not. They'd probably we better off with a younger, more energetic player. It's 100% about her her her and not the team, the country, or other women's bball players. Can she not see, or will no one tell her, how horrible this makes her look?

It might be different also if DT's presence on the team made a hill of beans worth difference in the team winning gold or not. They'd probably we better off with a younger, more energetic player. It's 100% about her her her and not the team, the country, or other women's bball players. Can she not see, or will no one tell her, how horrible this makes her look?
There are 20 other players they could replace DT with, and they'd still win the gold. Hell, they could replace DT with Edie Darby, and they'd STILL win the gold!

Reactions: glv98 and lvocd

VN Store

Back