'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

Not sure why but I have a gut feeling that unless a school like Duke or UNC steps in and makes a hard push ($$$), I think there’s a good chance this guys a Vol in the end. Obviously Memphis looms. But Penny/the staff there is still unproven at developing players. How serious his parents seem about the whole process, just don’t think he’d be swayed by the flashy stuff Penny does to try and sway recruits, combined with his lack of track record getting guys to the league.

It seems like he’s just a guy that has a liking for UT too. Not sure if he made it to campus for an unofficial visit earlier the year, he sounded like he wanted to, but still decided to come to UT for his first official visit.

If one (if not more) of Josiah, Jaden, or Keon is a one and done/lottery or 1st round pick, it’ll go a long way and I think Chandler ends up a Vol.

The two of them (Chandler and Banchero) making this visit together does more for us then we could ever expect. Great environment to be in yesterday and I’m sure CRB and the boys rolled out the red carpet.

Last edited:
Reactions: BreatheUT
Caught up with Kennedy Chandler after his trip. Like Banchero he's in no rush as a 2021 prospect, but had a lot of positive things to say about his trip. Loved watching practice and loves Rick's track record with PGs. Felt like the style of play was a really good fit for him. Really felt like there was a strong family atmosphere at Tennessee that he enjoyed. Loved the facilities and the fan support he saw. Like pretty much every prospect we talk to he's impressed with the player development that's taken place here in Knoxville.
This was his first official visit and probably his only one in the fall as of now. Will take others in the spring. Again, long way to go here for him but I think Tennessee is going to be firmly in the mix with him next fall as he gets serious about making a decision. Assistant coach Kim English has done some big time work with both he and Banchero.
-Rob Lewis

Essentially, it's sounding like this weekend went as well as it possibly could have. A lot of work left to do, but we're at least in a good position.

Ole Miss has been seeing him a ton. Definitely going to be a battle as you mentioned.

Not worried about Ole Miss. If Chandler doesn't come to TN, IMO, it's because a blue-blood came calling and it was his dream to play for one or Penny's bag-man dropped the Brinks truck on him. I think Barnes has us in good position.

Reactions: VolAmerican
Omari Thomas, a Class of 2020 football recruit, who will be committing to us this morning has announced you can catch his live-stream of his commitment on Kennedy Chandler's social media. Probably means nothing, but I found it to be an interesting tidbit of information. If they end up having a close/strong friendship maybe that helps with Kennedy's recruitment.

Omari Thomas, a Class of 2020 football recruit, who will be committing to us this morning has announced you can catch his live-stream of his commitment on Kennedy Chandler's social media. Probably means nothing, but I found it to be an interesting tidbit of information. If they end up having a close/strong friendship maybe that helps with Kennedy's recruitment.
They are very close friends. They have been playing basketball with each other for a while .

Reactions: cardvolfan
Omari is on the basketball team too isn’t he?

VN Store

Back