24 wins Coach Barnes

my original guess was 26 wins. I'm sticking with it.
Bama and Ky may have a hand in this total.

We know we should be okay record-wise, so this should be a season to relax and enjoy watching how each player develops individually, and how roles are filled by different players in different situations and against different matchups.

When they encounter adversity, how do they respond--and the next time they encounter similar adversity, what did they learn from the first experience?

We know these young men are being coached up well. So enjoy watching how they respond... how long it takes for each one to catch on and rise to his potential... and what kinds of special chemistry develops between players.

Watching this season should be like watching an epic action movie. Don't miss the movie worrying about how it ends, just enjoy the ride with each scene and each character.

Need interior play from our big men. We have to be able to play offense down low and not live and die by three point shots. Post play or lack of, will be our early exit again this year.
I like Vols this year because Barnes started emphasizing this down the stretch on OOC games. D also travels, we're a veteran team and just need to not have those scoring droughts take us out of games like last few years. I am amazed though at the talent in most all levels of CBB. Maybe it's because of NIL or portal or the fact that lesser teams are seeing that they can make it deeper into tourney. We're a top 5-10 team. We just have to do our thing.

Need interior play from our big men. We have to be able to play offense down low and not live and die by three point shots. Post play or lack of, will be our early exit again this year.
I just wished Aidoo was a little more aggressive in the paint. Kinda like Awaka. If he was as aggressive as Awaka with his height he would be a force to reckon with. IMO.

I just wished Aidoo was a little more aggressive in the paint. Kinda like Awaka. If he was as aggressive as Awaka with his height he would be a force to reckon with. IMO.
As we've seen so many times, if the light hasn't come on by this point in a career, it's likely not going to. Aidoo is what he is. If we want a big physical post, Barnes will have to recruit him. Aidoo ain't that cat.

If tennessee wins 24 regular season games then we will be in contention for a 1 seed
Miles to go. Right now I'm just hoping this illness that's running through the team is gone before we take the floor again. Get well and get those injuries healed. What we really need is for Dillione and one of our freshmen bigs to become more of a contributor. Dillione is my key though. We can't keep playing ZZ so much or he's gonna be toast down the line. We need Dillione to be what ZZ was to Chandler. Gotta get minutes for him. Someone mentioned that he's not getting the "system" and what Barnes is trying to accomplish, but even someone slow on the uptake will grasp things if they get the reps. Seeing it from the bench is one thing. Game action is another. Barnes needs to force feed him and build his minutes. Not sure, but I've always wondered if too many minutes contributed to ZZ's injuries last season. Better use the season to build your depth. Suspect we'll need it again this year. Sooner or later, that curse is bound to pop up and bite us in the butt again.

Miles to go. Right now I'm just hoping this illness that's running through the team is gone before we take the floor again. Get well and get those injuries healed. What we really need is for Dillione and one of our freshmen bigs to become more of a contributor. Dillione is my key though. We can't keep playing ZZ so much or he's gonna be toast down the line. We need Dillione to be what ZZ was to Chandler. Gotta get minutes for him. Someone mentioned that he's not getting the "system" and what Barnes is trying to accomplish, but even someone slow on the uptake will grasp things if they get the reps. Seeing it from the bench is one thing. Game action is another. Barnes needs to force feed him and build his minutes. Not sure, but I've always wondered if too many minutes contributed to ZZ's injuries last season. Better use the season to build your depth. Suspect we'll need it again this year. Sooner or later, that curse is bound to pop up and bite us in the butt again.
I never understand these takes, 28.8mpg (last year) is too much, and 25.5mpg (this year) is also too much? I don’t know that either of those numbers would even rank in the Top 1,000 of all of college basketball, are we to think that all 1k players will be toast or suffer injuries?

Our achilles heel has been big post players.
Best path to FF in my opinion is to be the fourth 1 seed with Edey, Kan., et al as the other 1 seed. This way
we bypass the best post players until possibly E8. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Pennheel

A force for 3-5 minutes before fouling out. I like em both, but Awaka has an atrocious fouls/min ratio.

Reactions: Volstar65
As we've seen so many times, if the light hasn't come on by this point in a career, it's likely not going to. Aidoo is what he is. If we want a big physical post, Barnes will have to recruit him. Aidoo ain't that cat.
That's an area no one discusses much. Barnes has recruited well in the guard and wing position but he has come up short in that Elite BIG we need down low. Awaka is a work horse, but still an offense in progress. At 6'8" he gives you all he's got.

SEC play is going to be an absolute battle. A number of teams could conceivably win the regular season title. It’s going to be a bloodbath the next 3 months.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I never understand these takes, 28.8mpg (last year) is too much, and 25.5mpg (this year) is also too much? I don’t know that either of those numbers would even rank in the Top 1,000 of all of college basketball, are we to think that all 1k players will be toast or suffer injuries?
25.5 mpg is a little misleading as he was eased in to start the year which affects that average in only 11 games. My guess is that the poster is more concerned that the 36 and 39 minutes he played over the past two games is going to become more of the norm going forward, and that is a fair concern if it does.

25.5 mpg is a little misleading as he was eased in to start the year which affects that average in only 11 games. My guess is that the poster is more concerned that the 36 and 39 minutes he played over the past two games is going to become more of the norm going forward, and that is a fair concern if it does.
Well he also referenced last year, which as I stated was less than 29mpg, I don’t really consider that some crazy number?

As for this year…he played 30 against Illinois, he hasn’t been on a minutes restriction since Maui. If you go last 6 games which is post Maui and includes some healthy competition he’s averaging 31.3mpg,that would rank him outside the Top 300 in all of college basketball fwiw.

Well he also referenced last year, which as I stated was less than 29mpg, I don’t really consider that some crazy number?

As for this year…he played 30 against Illinois, he hasn’t been on a minutes restriction since Maui. If you go last 6 games which is post Maui and includes some healthy competition he’s averaging 31.3mpg,that would rank him outside the Top 300 in all of college basketball fwiw.
I think most people would be fine with him playing in the neighborhood of 30 mpg. No one should want him playing 37.5 mpg, though. It's too many minutes and it's a symptom that there is little faith for anyone else to eat into that number. Someone, hopefully Dilione, needs to be able to lighten that load.

I think most people would be fine with him playing in the neighborhood of 30 mpg. No one should want him playing 37.5 mpg, though. It's too many minutes and it's a symptom that there is little faith for anyone else to eat into that number. Someone, hopefully Dilione, needs to be able to lighten that load.
Again though, the OP cited last years minutes and questioned if they were too many and what caused the injury…he was well under 30mpg.

VN Store

Back