Great read on our BasketVols

I like this part:
"Which brings me to what is going to make Tennessee so successful this season and a nightmare to play in March: There are no off-nights when it comes to size, strength, and physicality.
As long as Williams and Schofield are on the court together, Tennessee’s opponents will have to contend with two physically superior players relentlessly beating the hell out of them."

The 2018 version of the Ernie & Bernie show. And all four right in that 6' 5" to 6' 7" range.
It's great to be living the present of a UT sports pinnacle. Talking about "back in the day" (football) gets so draining, and am just going to enjoy this bball season. No matter where we end up, Barnes has, for sure, put Tennessee basketball back on the map.

It feels like in order for the general public to think a college basketball game is great, it must either happen in the NCAA tournament or essentially feel like an NBA game with less talent. So when something like Sunday comes along that is both unapologetically a college basketball game and undeniably great, it’s hard not to get excited. I loved that both teams were methodical with their approaches on offense and worked the ball to find the best shot. I loved that the Hachimura vs. Williams matchup might have been the first great high-post battle that’s happened at any level of basketball in over a decade.
It’s because moments like this are when the sport is at its best and they are impossible to artificially create. There are no shortcuts to achieving the unbridled joy felt by a 3-star recruit who worked his ass off for four years and, upon reaching the pinnacle of his basketball life, just wants to hug his dad who surprised him by showing up at the game.

Reactions: newarkvol
"There are no shortcuts to achieving the unbridled joy felt by a 3-star recruit who worked his ass off for four years and, upon reaching the pinnacle of his basketball life, just wants to hug his dad who surprised him by showing up at the game."

It's one thing to have a team of just studs.. but to have a group of guys that make the game more than just basketball is what makes this team fun to watch. I'm trying to show my team (Highschool) what it's like to have fire in your eyes, itching to win not only every game, but every single possession. These guys and CRB possess characteristics that the game of basketball needs more now than I've ever experienced. These guys deserve the national media attention that will begin to pour in over the next few months. Great read.. thanks for posting. GBO

Someone else has drunk the Koolaid. Can't say it better than that.
And talk about the game of the century if Grant and Zion match up in March.

Last edited:
The quote that struck me here was this being the first great high-post battle in a decade on any level of basketball. That might be the one part I would question.

Last edited:
That was as much fun to read as anything I've seen in the last few years. Vols getting some serious love. GBO.

I like this part:
"Which brings me to what is going to make Tennessee so successful this season and a nightmare to play in March: There are no off-nights when it comes to size, strength, and physicality.
As long as Williams and Schofield are on the court together, Tennessee’s opponents will have to contend with two physically superior players relentlessly beating the hell out of them."

My thoughts exactly. Anyone still think that we lose 5 more games?

Wow, an excellent read. Mark has a refreshing way to bring out the points he wanted to make. I didn't sense any bias where he could have said Tennessee got lucky or Gonzaga off guard or looking past the Vols. He even changed his opinion after seeing them in person, and realized we have something special going on.

The 2018 version of the Ernie & Bernie show. And all four right in that 6' 5" to 6' 7" range.
Having watched the venerable E & B show as an undergrad at UT(the full time they were Vols), I'll agree to the similarities about height and superior athleticism, but IMHO it stops there. Aside from Mike Jackson at PG, the complimentary talent wasn't there, like CRB's squad. Also, Both prior to and afterward, Ray Mears' style was to hold the ball and not to run the floor. E & B morphed his team, but they did it on their own as superstars...minus the phenomenal chemistry, teamwork and excellent X's & Os CRB's blended into these Vols. Since closely following our guys since the 1950s, I can confidently declare this UT Vols BB team is the best ever.

VN Store

Back