Great read on our BasketVols

Mark Titus also wrote a book. He played at Ohio st with Thad Matta and the book talks about him being told to mess with Evan turner in practice. Funny read. He also heads club trillion
1544883312747.jpeg

Mears would run and shoot as well as anyone one. Jackson was a three and Woods was the point. Woods was a great point and an outstanding shooter as was Jackson. Mears didn't have a lot of Bigs and relied an pure athletic ability. I saw the game which was played in Atlanta against UCLA. dur9ng the E&B years. This game was put together just to make sure these two teams could play each other. It was a fast-paced game which UCLA eke out a win, but it was a Nationally watched game.
I was at that game as well, at the Omni in ATL. The crowd was 80% Vol fans and we filled the place up. Still remember everyone yelling, B-E-A-T U-C-L-A over and over. That was a great game but feel like UCLA was pretty much in control the entire game. Too bad that Vols team didn't have the chemistry this years team does. Good times!

Mike Jackson was actually the shooting guard rather than the point guard. Rodney Woods was the PG Ernie's freshman and sophomore years. Johnny Darden was the PG Ernie's junior and senior year (Bernard's sophomore and junior years). E&G never played with a big center. Doug Ashworth was really an undersized power forward (about 6'6") and Reggie Johnson's one year with E&G (his freshman year), he was very thin... but he was tall (about 6'9"). All of the best teams in that era had 6'10-7', 260+ pound low posts (I think that KY had 2... Mike Phillips and Rick Robey) and the prevailing strategy was to pound the ball inside. Ernie did play one year with Len Kosmalski, but he was gone King's freshman season a year later.

Darden nearly died one year. He hit his head while swimming during a trip to an away game and was pulled unconscious from the hotel pool. Could have happened in one of the post E&G seasons.
Remember the 1977(?) UT vs, KY game at Stokely? King and Grunfeld vs. Phillips and Roby? We won in OT something like 103-98. One of the best games I remember from my young days at Stokely

Remember the 1977(?) UT vs, KY game at Stokely? King and Grunfeld vs. Phillips and Roby? We won in OT something like 103-98. One of the best games I remember from my young days at Stokely
That was the 75-76 game I believe. But, the game you're talking about when Roby and Phillips were seniors was epic. It was a brutally physical game in an era of more finesse basketball. Thanks for the memories.

Great read and THANKS for posting it.

Our guys have worked their butts off to make themselves as good as they are and they've EARNED all the respect and praise they're finally getting.

I would love to see these guys WIN it all this year because they and Barnes have earned it rather than a team like Duke, KY or Kansas that just adds more top recruits every single year like Bama does in football.

This team is just special with special people from the coaches to the players.

I can't wait to see how much better they can become as the season rolls along.

VFL...GBO!!!

Excellent article and my wife and I are going to do exactly what the writer suggested. We are going to see the Vols play the Gators in Gainesville. We've watched the team play on TV and decided it's time to see this special team play in person. Go Vols!

Mike Jackson was actually the shooting guard rather than the point guard. Rodney Woods was the PG Ernie's freshman and sophomore years. Johnny Darden was the PG Ernie's junior and senior year (Bernard's sophomore and junior years). E&G never played with a big center. Doug Ashworth was really an undersized power forward (about 6'6") and Reggie Johnson's one year with E&G (his freshman year), he was very thin... but he was tall (about 6'9"). All of the best teams in that era had 6'10-7', 260+ pound low posts (I think that KY had 2... Mike Phillips and Rick Robey) and the prevailing strategy was to pound the ball inside. Ernie did play one year with Len Kosmalski, but he was gone King's freshman season a year later.

Darden nearly died one year. He hit his head while swimming during a trip to an away game and was pulled unconscious from the hotel pool. Could have happened in one of the post E&G seasons.

I remember those teams. It seems like Reggie stayed in foul trouble all the time. He was also deadly from 7 feet.

Back in the day we had great guards, England Justice, Edwards, Snow could all shoot the ball. Our inside game was weak between Boerwinkle and the Koz then we started having great forwards like Ernie, Bernie and Dale but not all that much help and size inside. We did have moments of greatness before Pearl who subsequently made us more consistent on the national scene. After him, a few more years wondering the desert before Rick shows up. His brand of ball wins games. It is an exciting time in the evolution.

Back in the day we had great guards, England Justice, Edwards, Snow could all shoot the ball. Our inside game was weak between Boerwinkle and the Koz then we started having great forwards like Ernie, Bernie and Dale but not all that much help and size inside. We did have moments of greatness before Pearl who subsequently made us more consistent on the national scene. After him, a few more years wondering the desert before Rick shows up. His brand of ball wins games. It is an exciting time in the evolution.

Bobby Croft and Lloyd Richardson were really good post players between Boerwinkle and Kosmalski. Don Johnson was an excellent forward, although he was a bit undersized for a post. Larry Robinson was only a 2-year player, but he was a very good small forward (possibly out of position at the 4). Too bad Rupert Breedlove flamed out so quickly. Greg Longshore didn't work out either. Woodall mixed it up pretty well in that gap between Boerwinkle and Kosmalski. But it's true. We didn't have too many true low posts... lots of forwards playing the center position.

Reactions: Rickster
Bobby Croft and Lloyd Richardson were really good post players between Boerwinkle and Kosmalski. Don Johnson was an excellent forward, although he was a bit undersized for a post. Larry Robinson was only a 2-year player, but he was a very good small forward (possibly out of position at the 4). Too bad Rupert Breedlove flamed out so quickly. Greg Longshore didn't work out either. Woodall mixed it up pretty well in that gap between Boerwinkle and Kosmalski. But it's true. We didn't have too many true low posts... lots of forwards playing the center position.

Richardson I believe played wing. Edwards and Snow were gunners. I really enjoyed that era. Saturday game followed by a Monday night game. Kentucky dominated but that was nothing new.

Richardson I believe played wing. Edwards and Snow were gunners. I really enjoyed that era. Saturday game followed by a Monday night game. Kentucky dominated but that was nothing new.

I'm quite certain that Lloyd Richardson played in the paint. He wasn't known as an outside shooter. He often played what is known today as a 4 or a power forward. Seems like he was even considered the "center" at some point. Possibly after Jim Woodall and Bobby Croft had graduated. Some hints are on Sports Reference dot com. He certainly wasn't a wing/forward/"3" like Grunfeld or Don Johnson. Richardson contributed more as a rebounder than a scorer.

VN Store

Back