2019 Magazine pre-season rankings

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Figured I'd make a post where everyone has the Vols ranked headed into the 2019 season. I'll update as people post

Lindy's Sports
55th nationally
11th in the SEC

Athlon Sports
47th nationally
5th in the SEC East

Last edited:
Growing up in the 80's and 90's and seeing this hurts my soul.......but honestly until we see how both lines are going to do this year and if we get all transfers/injured players available......sigh......this is probably about right. Still see 8 wins and moving up just inside the top 25 to end the year.....but for now, about right.

Between this and the #15 FPI rating, there is a lot of uncertainty about the program.

#11 in the SEC is a bit too low though. I put us above KY, Vandy, Ark. Barely above USCe, MissSt, and Ole Miss. Possibly even with Auburn (not sure about them but they seem to do well every other year). If Mizzou comes apart due to probation that is a possibility but not just yet.

So I put us at 8 in the conference (6 is highest and 11 the lowest).

I just think between year 2 under CJP development/S&C, a very good recruiting class, 2nd most returning starters in NCAA, the much more manageable schedule, and key losses to teams that were close to us talent-wise last season, we will probably finish 4th in SECeast and win 7-8 games, maybe 9.

Last edited:
Figured I'd make a post where everyone has the Vols ranked headed into the 2019 season. I'll update as people post

Lindy's Sports
55th nationally
11th in the SEC
This is a bowl eligible team, and thats about it. I think those calling for 9-3 are ignoring glaring issues on both lines. Butch Jones screwed this program in almost unimaginable ways and it will take Pruitt & Co. 4-5 years of recruiting to get back to becoming a competitive SEC football program.

UGA will be the favorite to win the entire SEC. UF is back to a legit Top 10. And we get Bama (as always), as well as more than serviceable BYU, MSU, and Mizzou and you get to 6-6 or 7-5. Any more than that would be a fairly large overachievement, something we haven’t done in nearly 15 years.

If it's a preseason ranking, 55 (nation) and 11 (SEC) seems generally right if it's based upon returning talent and its performance last year until something is proven on the field during the 2019 campaign. That said, hopefully some things 'click' during the season, we meet or exceed expectations, and the Vols end up higher up in the end-of-season rankings!

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and KBVol
Lindy's also ranks the position groups of every school in the SEC. Once again, UT averages out at or near the bottom of the group. Most damaging is the ranking of 13th for both the OL and the DL. Most of the other ranks are at 10 or above with a few 8s thrown in. I only looked at it quickly today but it was not good.

Vols appear headed to November needing to win out to get to Birmingham or Memphis for a mid December meeting with the AAC Champs or worst.

Lindy's also ranks the position groups of every school in the SEC. Once again, UT averages out at or near the bottom of the group. Most damaging is the ranking of 13th for both the OL and the DL. Most of the other ranks are at 10 or above with a few 8s thrown in. I only looked at it quickly today but it was not good.

Vols appear headed to November needing to win out to get to Birmingham or Memphis for a mid December meeting with the AAC Champs or worst.
Tennessee will win 8-9 games and those magazines will look stupid

I'll be honest, we may not really want the AAC champs lol. The top half of that league has gotten pretty good. I'd like Pruitt's first bowl to be a complete beatdown of some slow-azz Big Ten team (looking at you Iowa).

Reactions: UTwild82 and 08Vol
I'll be honest, we may not really want the AAC champs lol. The top half of that league has gotten pretty good. I'd like Pruitt's first bowl to be a complete beatdown of some slow-azz Big Ten team (looking at you Iowa).
So you're ok with Lyle 2.0?

If the buy in has been there since the teams half hearted effort we against Vandy we will be much better than expected. The fact that Fitzgerald didnt bolt to Maryland makes me think that he believes in the effort he has seen in the off season. We invested in the coaching staff and I think Pruitt learned a lot last year. Pruitt coached in a style to change the culture last year with his ultra aggressive on side kicks and 4th down converison attempts.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Hell I hated Lyle the Original. I would just like the staff to get a bowl win and a little mementum. I'm somewhat concerned that Pruitt might lose the fanbase kinda quickly if he doesn't have some success, at least a little, sooner rather than later.
At this point, after what we've been through the last 15 or so years, patience wouldn't be the worst thing we could exercise as a fan base. I also get why we're so hungry. It's been FOREVER since we've been relevant. Lyle had his shot, and ended up in the Music City Bowl.

At this point, after what we've been through the last 15 or so years, patience wouldn't be the worst thing we could exercise as a fan base. I also get why we're so hungry. It's been FOREVER since we've been relevant. Lyle had his shot, and ended up in the Music City Bowl.

Butch should’ve gone to Some irrelevant B1G West team.

I have a feeling by Bowl Season Tennessee will be ranked somewhere between #19 and #25.

That means we are 9-3 likely, maybe 8-4. That would be one heck of a season. Just hard to imagine that given our worst areas are the most important - the trenches.

I picked up Lindys the other day. They rank our RBs last in the conference.

Sorry but I’m not buying Ty Chandler, Jeremy Banks, Tim Jordan, Eric Gray are the 14th best group in the conference.

You guys?

Probably a lazy ranking based on our 14th ranked rushing attack last year in the conference.

Still...outside of Chandler, no one has proven much yet. I think they are ok at rushing, but poor at blocking. Chandler is really nice in the passing game though.

Reactions: BreatheUT and 08Vol
I picked up Lindys the other day. They rank our RBs last in the conference.

Sorry but I’m not buying Ty Chandler, Jeremy Banks, Tim Jordan, Eric Gray are the 14th best group in the conference.

You guys?
Agree. Last doesn’t make sense, I’d guess more middle of the pack. Don’t really have a bellcow, but have some reasonably talented runners. Also, stats are negatively skewed against our guys after running behind the worst OL in college football last year, which is the reason we were last in the SEC in rushing

VN Store

Back