Who Was More Physically Gifted?

DOCTORLOOMIS

Smith’s Grove - Warren County Sanitarium
Al Wilson or............ Jerod Mayo?

A buddy and I have been debating this. Opinions welcome.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
941867.gif

wilson imo

Unpopular opinion, but I thought Mayo (especially from a technique/textbook view) was the better player. Al left with 272 tackles and Mayo left with 236 without playing his Senior season.

Mayo had 140 tackles his Jr year and you have to go back to the Delong or Spiva days when teams never threw to find better numbers.

Now, it goes without saying nobody had Al's intensity or leadership skills. He was truly the QB of the defense.

So, if you'd ask me which player I'd pick to build my defense around....Al all day long

Al. Speed, strength, tenacity...had it all.

Mayo obviously was a great player, too, but Al likely is best (and most talented) UT LB ever.

Al Wilson or............ Jerod Mayo?

A buddy and I have been debating this. Opinions welcome.

Best years for Linebackers was 65-72 when UT had an All American practically every year.
1965- Frank Emmanuel
1966- Paul Naumoff
1968 and 1969- Steve Kiner- One of the best
1969- Jack Reynolds- Hacksaw and Kiner on the same team was lethal
1970- and 1971- Jackie Walker- One bad ass
1972- Jamie Rotella

I say #27. I honestly think players in the SEC were scared of him.

I think Mayo was a great player both @ UT and in the NFL.

Al Wilson reminded me of a cross between a Sam Mills and a Jack Lambert. He had the physical nature of the larger 1960s-70s style linebackers and was never afraid to take on a challenge. He also shared with Sam Mills the athletic skill and observational ability to be exactly where he needed to be in order to make a play.

Outstanding athlete. Throwback-level toughness. Coach-level instincts on and off the field. Wilson stands upon a pedestal only a handful of our best linebackers can even approach. Mayo is close to him. Based on what I saw of them as pro players (Wasn't born when they were at UT), Naumoff and Reynolds were there as well. I've heard Andy Spiva and Tom Fisher were tremendous football players whose time on this earth was cut way too short. But Wilson put the athleticism and the intangibles together in such complete form to produce something special here that we may never be fortunate enough to witness again. Just a cut above.

Only a very few players actually scare other players, Wilson was one of them. His motor and intensity were off the charts.
Little scared opponents. Hell, he scared me just watching him from the stands or on TV... 😎

That said, Al is one of my all time favorites.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Little scared opponents. Hell, he scared me just watching him from the stands or on TV... 😎

That said, Al is one of my all time favorites.
When they allowed Little to play with that concrete cast it is a wonder he did not kill someone.

VN Store

Back