Sunshine Pumpers and NegaVols

I have observed the Sunshine Pumper vs. NegaVol polarization in the VN boards for years. I'm fascinated by the psychology of it. Does it come down to something as simple as some people being pessimists and others being optimists? Which one are you? (Show you colors here once and for all.) Does your SP or NV status correlate with optimism/pessimism in other facets of your life? Is anyone willing to make the argument that you're a SP or a NV because you simply follow the evidence where it leads?

b9009422-1b77-4f40-9862-196d6cc5dc78-jpeg.373076

I have observed the Sunshine Pumper vs. NegaVol polarization in the VN boards for years. I'm fascinated by the psychology of it. Does it come down to something as simple as some people being pessimists and others being optimists? Which one are you? (Show you colors here once and for all.) Does your SP or NV status correlate with optimism/pessimism in other facets of your life? Is anyone willing to make the argument that you're a SP or a NV because you simply follow the evidence where it leads?
Heupel’s VOLS are going to win it all this year. If we don’t fire his azz after the bama game! GBO!!

If we were all just a mix of sunshine pumpers and negavols, that'd be grand. I think we'd be able to agree to disagree, most of the time.

But we're not alone. There are a ton of trolls on these boards. I mean, a LOT. There are all the obvious ones, who post with names that include dawg or gator or cat. But even more numerous are the ones who try (usually with limited success) to pretend they're Vols fans.

For obvious reasons, this legion of muckrakers tend to get miscounted in with the Negavols. Making it appear our pessimistic camp is bigger (and nastier, and cruder) than it really is. If I were a good, honest Negavol, I'd be pissed at them for tarnishing my side. But since the trolls often cheer for the pessimists and egg them on, instead the Negavols tend to see the trolls as allies.

It's a cesspool. And has been for a while now. But it's VolNation. As mucky as things are here, it's still better than any alternative I've seen.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Which one are you?

Reactions: volsknx
I have observed the Sunshine Pumper vs. NegaVol polarization in the VN boards for years. I'm fascinated by the psychology of it. Does it come down to something as simple as some people being pessimists and others being optimists?
It does. Happiness level is mostly genetic, and people are just born with the ability to use cognitive behavior therapy to return to the level of happiness that they think is proper. It turns out sports gives you something that you can use to try to pull your happiness level to the amount of happiness you want. Oddly, it turns out that you can be miserable even if your team is on top of the world. I guess the drama of sports is a good place to find things to confirm your view, whether it's plus or minus. I've said here many times, I'm 55 and I've heard "If you don't hate this team you're not a true vol fan" my whole life. It's been constant my whole life.

Reactions: KptVFL
In my experience negative people never consider themselves as negative, rather they feel that they are simply "realistic". As for me, I try to be hopeful and positive about the Vols but then the season starts. Lol. Kidding, sort of.
I do feel like there is hope though, probably only because I'm old enough to have seen them have success in the past.

I was a “sunshine pumper” until around 2016, now I’m just numb inside.

I've been kinda numb since Dooley. I wasn't thrilled about Jones but I guess he did give us a glimmer of hope for a while. But yeah 2016 was the biggest slap in the nuts since 2001. We went from the East being on a silver platter to the Sugar Bowl to.....the Music City Bowl.

I've been kinda numb since Dooley. I wasn't thrilled about Jones but I guess he did give us a glimmer of hope for a while. But yeah 2016 was the biggest slap in the nuts since 2001. We went from the East being on a silver platter to the Sugar Bowl to.....the Music City Bowl.
This was the moment……

I'm indifferent. That's it. Thing is, you can get mad when you feel like something isn't as good as it should be - or could be. You get angry when you think your team had a chance but didn't convert. But do I really feel that about Tennessee football anymore? Nah. Not really. So no reason to get angry or upset about it. It's that old Neyland adage - "here's a Coke, let's hope the Vols don't lose." That's about it. I'm so tired of hearing people at Tennessee talk about how things are getting better. I know it's their jobs, I get it. Just. Stop talking it up. You haven't beaten Alabama in 13 years. THIRTEEN. Haven't even sniffed the doorstep save that one year we don't talk about much. So stop talking it up. I don't care why. It doesn't matter why. I'm not even mad. I'll still buy a shirt or whatever, and occasionally go to a game. I'm not walking away. I am 100% orange. But don't get my hopes up. Not anymore. The program's shown no ability to fix the problem. Even in the face of so much success modeled by other programs in the SEC, we either can't or won't do what needs to be done. And as long as that's how it is -- whelp. There you have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJBlaze
I call it like I see it. With ⚾️ and 🏀, I'm really positive. When it comes to talking about our prior administration and our incompetent football hires, then I call it like I see it (and that is largely negative).

Even with Pruitt, I wasnt negative with recruiting. With his in game coaching and staff choices, I was critical since he did a poor job there.

VN Store

Back