#4 Vanderbilt at Tennessee Game 3 Thread - 2 PM - ESPN3

I never pay attention to innings in these discussions. The pitch count is the big concern. Yesterday was 56 and today was 25. I see both sides of the argument. CDS was extremely cautious with Andy to start last year. He always has been extremely careful with arms. I was surprised he let Andy go today. It worked out though.

Big thing is, 2 mid-week games this week.

Missouri doesn't help much at 101 but dang, Georgia sitting at 26.

Just being a road game will help in Mizzou's case. We need to win the 2 games Houck doesn't start. Houck is another beast all on his own.

It'd about the 4 very stressful innings yesterday

Again go read some of the recent studies about tommy john injuries. Doctors have basically stated than anything over 2inn 25pitches should result in a day in between outings for each inning over 2 up to 4 days rest max.

Threw 56 pitches yesterday...hasn't played summer ball for the past three years and a team that is fighting for it's post season life...

Like I said...I'm gonna enjoy it and I'm really glad Andy played such a big part of it.

I never pay attention to innings in these discussions. The pitch count is the big concern. Yesterday was 56 and today was 25. I see both sides of the argument. CDS was extremely cautious with Andy to start last year. He always has been extremely careful with arms. I was surprised he let Andy go today. It worked out though.

Big thing is, 2 mid-week games this week.

Good post

Another thing to look at is 55 pitches in a game that is already decided is fairly stress free

55 pitches in a 1 run game is very stressful

Point is pitch counts aren't always created equal.

Personally i dont see a problem with what serrano did,but you camt put all the blame on serrano you have to trust that cox is responsible enough to say if his arm hurts and is too tired to pitch

Nearly all kids would want to pitch. Where would you draw the line?

Soto?

Warren?

Wouldn't shock me at all if both of them said coach let me have the ball

CDS managed his best series of the year I thought. The kids definitely deserve this as well. I'm just here to eat my crow regarding the bullpen this weekend. Neely and Martin were outstanding today.

Reactions: 1 person
Nearly all kids would want to pitch. Where would you draw the line?

Soto?

Warren?

Wouldn't shock me at all if both of them said coach let me have the ball

I trust the coach...in this particular situation one who has been UBER careful, to make this call.

I can't believe this is a "deal"...good grief!

Reactions: 3 people
I trust the coach...in this particular situation one who has been UBER careful, to make this call.

I can't believe this is a "deal"...good grief!

Exactley 66 its not like serrano has a history of overusing arms its one series... soto and warren would be 2 guys indraw the line with but that is because they played summer ball cox didnt so his arm had time to rest so he can take a little extra use

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong...and I want you too...because I'm going to enjoy the crap out of the win...but...

CDS is 6-10 versus CTC and has won 2/5 series versus him.

On the surface, that doesn't seem all that good, but I think if one was to look at all of the coaches in the SEC versus Corbin, not too many would have a better record than CDS.

Point being, even with the advantages that everyone recognizes or doesn't...

CDS is a really good coach.

His handling of the pitching situation and your problem with him using Cox is exactly what I'm talking about.

If he would have put Kane or Lipinski in the game yesterday we lose. Had he done it today we lose.

I've never seen a pitching coach be as careful with his pitchers as Serrano...we have not one pitcher that has a complete game...Camp from Auburn comes to mind...so when he put Cox out there today I was surprised, but if that's what it takes...that's what it takes.

And...Cox is a senior and that was a showcase for him.

Heck, my lineup was...I had Andy coming in after Hunter starting...and trying to finish with Neely/KFC...I refuse to believe that Coach Serrano just made this decision off the top of his head, without conferring with his coaching staff. Does anyone truly believe he doesn't care about these young men. If there's any time to give the coaching staff some props, I think this would be a really good time...jus' sayin'...and, as always...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone truly believe he doesn't care about these young men.

I would let my son play for CDS.

If there's any time to give the coaching staff some props, I think this would be a really good time...jus' sayin'...and, as always...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Great job guys! Thanks for answering the call when The University of Tennessee came hat in hand! GBO!

One thing should be mentioned that this is the first time cox has been used in this way. Doing this one time in back to back games is different than how some kids are used in travel ball. My point is one time shouldn't result in TJ surgery or ruin his career. If it happens every weekend then it would be different. Also he will have almost a week rest before throwing in a game again.

With that being said I think cox is now the closer and the offense is going to have to score some runs so he can have some rest on the weekends.

Too bad this will be the highlight of our season. Vandy will forget about this next week and go on the the NCAA while we are looking for a new coach. I do not think we will make it to Hoover with what is left on the schedule.

Your astute commentary is duly noted & dismissed. :no:

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah while you were out camping and teasing the rest of us with In-n-Out Burger stories...we just beat the #5 team in the country...twice. :loco:

You must watch game 3 on ESPN3...great college baseball game.

I am looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night. I am about to read the thread, but it seems looking at the box scores that Cox is the hero of the weekend. It also looks like Neely pitched well today, surprised to see he went 6 innings. Bummed I missed these games, but I did have In n Out and ridiculous steaks cooked over the camp fire along with seeing about 20 whales this weekend. 😀

I am looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night. I am about to read the thread, but it seems looking at the box scores that Cox is the hero of the weekend. It also looks like Neely pitched well today, surprised to see he went 6 innings. Bummed I missed these games, but I did have In n Out and ridiculous steaks cooked over the camp fire along with seeing about 20 whales this weekend. 😀

Gotcha...Whales too...can't get that in Pigeon Forge. :p

NorCal sent this pic last night of his camping trip.......

drunk-guy.jpg

Replace the cans with wine bottles and you are pretty close.

OT, I am having a beer and dinner at Firestone brewery and almost spit my beer out laughing when I saw this.

Just to be fair and clear on the subject matter depicted in the photo, the drunken fool in the picture is not NorCalVol67, it "may" have been a representation of his camping trip however I did not intend to or imply that he consumed way past his limit concerning alcohol consumption. He may have or may not have consumed way too much alcohol over the weekend however thats NorCal's business and not ours...........:)

Wow didn't realize Georgia was that high

Win 4 of those 6 and we have a shot at a regional

Georgia has the #1 SOS. Their OOC schedule wasn't all that great except they have 4 midweek games against Clemson and GTech, who are both top 25. They also have MSU and A&M while we have Auburn and LSU.

Wish we could have taken advantage of Auburn. We need to find a way to be creative and play some better midweek games, like maybe UNC in Western NC or something. MTSU and sometimes Morehead State are about the only quality midweek games we play.

Georgia has the #1 SOS. Their OOC schedule wasn't all that great except they have 4 midweek games against Clemson and GTech, who are both top 25. They also have MSU and A&M while we have Auburn and LSU.

Wish we could have taken advantage of Auburn. We need to find a way to be creative and play some better midweek games, like maybe UNC in Western NC or something. MTSU and sometimes Morehead State are about the only quality midweek games we play.

Louisville and ga tech would both be close enough I would think

Just to be fair and clear on the subject matter depicted in the photo, the drunken fool in the picture is not NorCalVol67, it "may" have been a representation of his camping trip however I did not intend to or imply that he consumed way past his limit concerning alcohol consumption. He may have or may not have consumed way too much alcohol over the weekend however thats NorCal's business and not ours...........:)

Still laughing.

VN Store

Back