99 yard fumble return discussion

I'm not a fan of the calls we make as far as running in short yardage. If you insist on sticking to a shotgun snap, I would like to see Hurd lead block for Dobbs (or just direct snap to Hurd), so that we can decrease the amount of time that the DL has to penetrate (no handoff). There's no reason to take that kind of risk when we need so few yards and have so many downs to make it. Even if Hurd hadn't fumbled, that was still a 2-3 yard loss.

Reactions: 1 person
"This kid ran down a cephalopoid on foot boss, that's gotta be tough."

Dobbs showed more heart in that play than I have seen in a long time from a Tennessee player, and continued it throughout the game. He better win impact player of the week.

Even though that was a UGA touchdown, I think that was the play of the game for me. Probably would have saved the TD if he had just another yard or two to go.

After that play, it was just raw determination to win. Dobbs showed that 100% on that play. He never gave up, and neither did the rest of the team for the remainder of the game.

That was probably the best come from behind victory I saw since the LSU game in '05.

Reactions: 1 person
Damn dude....

It's a message board where fans come to talk about the program, the players, the coaches and the games. He made some legitimate points...that lb came free because he was unaccounted for and he wound up blowing up the play which resulted in a 14 point swing. I didn't read it as *****ing about anything...it was a legit topic of discussion.

At least you got your "likes" though by playing the anti-negavol card though. Good for you.

anti-negavol? is that like a double negative?

I understand he is sticking with his offensive philosophy and that is fine. That said, I find it absurd that you can't take the time to install a short yardage package. That fumble and return does not happen in an I formation.

IT DOES HAPPEN>>>Vs UGA on 1 yard line before Half in I formation Clausen hands off to Foster bad exchange UGA player picks it up runs for a TD the romp was on. Dejavu all over again except we came back and won this time

Folks I was looking for a respectful discussion... Apparently I came to the wrong place.

I love Butch and Dobbs... tons of respect for both of them.

But if we want to make that next step where we're championship contenders we can't leave points on the field. I know Butch knows this, and really if we can clean it up, we are right on the cusp of being great. I certainly didn't mean for the original post to come off overly negative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
IT DOES HAPPEN>>>Vs UGA on 1 yard line before Half in I formation Clausen hands off to Foster bad exchange UGA player picks it up runs for a TD the romp was on. Dejavu all over again except we came back and won this time

Wasnt it Ainge giving to Foster and PSU ran it back to win the Outback Bowl ?

Wow, what an idiot. Clausen graduated well before Fumble Foster ever played a down at Tennessee. More like Jabari Davis.

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't go back and look who did you see as their responsibility for the blitzing LB?

looks like a dude named Joe Stocstill

Attachments

• png1.jpg
    png1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5
  • png2.jpg
    png2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 5
  • png3.jpg
    png3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 6
  • png4.jpg
    png4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 5
If we run up middle on a first and goal from 6 inch line, we should line up under center with Tuttle or Mackenzie full back give it to Hurd for 6 every time. If we ran some I formation Hurd would have flornett type #'s.

Been wanting to see this formation all season. Would have to be Tuttle since KMac wears #1 though.

There was no excuse for this happening.

IMO it's on Butch and Dobbs. We have to audible or call a time out to get out of that play. You can't miss the unaccounted for linebacker. He showed what he was going to do and we didn't make any adjustment.

I loved the fight in the result of the game, but I'm still a little concerned about that sequence of events. Like Butch said before it's the little things.

I'd like to see Dobbs given more liberty out there to get us into the correct play or at least call a timeout when we know the play is going to blow up.
Please crawl back in your hole.

See I am a fan of the sweep on goal line. Set up with Hurd like you're going to force through, and run a little toss out. Semi trick play. Catches a lot of defenders off guard

See I am a fan of the sweep on goal line. Set up with Hurd like you're going to force through, and run a little toss out. Semi trick play. Catches a lot of defenders off guard

Sweeps are terrible plays at the goal line IMO, because the defense is so compressed toward the line of scrimmage.

I really think the refs were too slow to call the play dead. You can't let them hold Hurd up when it's obvious the plays stopped while GA players were trying to rip the ball from him. Maybe I'm just being picky there.

That. Add that to the long list of terrible calls that we had to overcome.

There was no excuse for this happening.

IMO it's on Butch and Dobbs. We have to audible or call a time out to get out of that play. You can't miss the unaccounted for linebacker. He showed what he was going to do and we didn't make any adjustment.

I loved the fight in the result of the game, but I'm still a little concerned about that sequence of events. Like Butch said before it's the little things.

I'd like to see Dobbs given more liberty out there to get us into the correct play or at least call a timeout when we know the play is going to blow up.

I don't think you saw the play to good.. Our o line got knocked off the ball, it wasn't just one linebacker that was in accounted for. We just got out muscled on that play.

I don't think you saw the play to good.. Our o line got knocked off the ball, it wasn't just one linebacker that was in accounted for. We just got out muscled on that play.

Look at the photo evidence a couple posts up. Our number 47 is lined up too far to the left to block their 47 who came clean through the A gap. The other two defenders that got there quickly came from the outside.

Due to the alignment the play didn't stand a chance. I would like to see this diagnosed before the snap and adjustments made.

Obviously we won the game so no real harm done, but if we don't learn from this, it could hurt us in the future.

Last edited:
That. Add that to the long list of terrible calls that we had to overcome.

I disagree. That pile was still moving. Georgia deserved to blow up that play and because Jalen didn't hold on to the ball, we didn't deserve to keep it.

imo the play was supposed to be a counter where he started slightly to the right, with 47 blocking the guy coming through the A gap, then Jalen would cut back to the left around 47's block. But their LB came through so quickly that he got to Jalen before he could get touched by 47. Jalen never even had a chance to make the cut as the play required

Jalen didn't have any time to put it away. The play was busted based on the pre snap alignment.

imo the play was supposed to be a counter where he started slightly to the right, with 47 blocking the guy coming through the A gap, then Jalen would cut back to the left around 47's block. But their LB came through so quickly that he got to Jalen before he could get touched by 47. Jalen never even had a chance to make the cut as the play required

That's actually a really good point. If 47 had got there in time it looks like our left guard had really good push. But still, perhaps 47 should have lined up not so far out to the left. Did you happen to notice if our 47 was slow reacting to the snap?

That's actually a really good point. If 47 had got there in time it looks like our left guard had really good push. But still, perhaps 47 should have lined up not so far out to the left. Did you happen to notice if our 47 was slow reacting to the snap?

No, he reacted immediately to the snap. Our C and G didn't bother to touch him because it seems like they were supposed to let the A gap LB get through. I'm guessing that the play was drawn up to where if UGA showed intense A gap pressure (as they did), that the interior linemen commit to opening the middle, where they let the A gap LB rush through, then 47 was supposed to get just enough of the LB that Jalen could get to the left of the block and run through the same A gap that was opened up by the linemen. The play seemed to run perfectly with the exception of 47 getting to his man in time.

https://youtu.be/hmAfio2_z1M?t=10m53s

Rewatching it again, looks like the play called for Hurd to go behind 47's block and go through the C gap on the left side

Last edited:
Its one of those SH!T happens plays. It has and will happen at some point to everybody. I am more PI$$ED over picking up the flag on the block in the back call

If we run up middle on a first and goal from 6 inch line, we should line up under center with Tuttle or Mackenzie full back give it to Hurd for 6 every time. If we ran some I formation Hurd would have flornett type #'s.

it doesn't fit in with CBJ misdirection offense,so I think they will be far and few in between

but I do think that the fumble and run back was a good thing for the Offense,they did see that Dobbs wasn't a quitter and they seemed to do better after that play,yea I know,that isn't what you want to see

but good things happened after that effort from Dobbs

VN Store

Back