A New Number 1? Purdue falls

That was Bruce. When CRB got to #1 he held on to it for a month.

True, but the 2nd time we made#1 (under Barnes), it took Grant Williams a 37pt, 23-23 Ft, comeback from the dead, overtime victory over a terrible Vandy team to avoid the repeat. At least Pearl's loss was to a very good #12 ranked Stallings Vandy team.

How i think ESPN will rank them.
1. Purdue
2. Alabama
3. Houston
4. Arizona
5. Texas
6. UCLA
7. Kansas State
8. Virginia
9. Kansas
10. Tennessee

True, but the 2nd time we made#1 (under Barnes), it took Grant Williams a 37pt, 23-23 Ft, comeback from the dead, overtime victory over a terrible Vandy team to avoid the repeat. At least Pearl's loss was to a very good #12 ranked Stallings Vandy team.

That Vandy team was very good and very hard to beat at home. The loss at Vandy after the emotional win at Memphis was not unexpected by me.

I think they will still be number one with only two losses. I see us as being about number four after that Florida loss and ugly win.

My son and I were @ that game. Grant was unstoppable. We thought for sure we were going to lose being down the final couple of minutes but Grant was unstoppable.

How i think ESPN will rank them.
1. Purdue
2. Alabama
3. Houston
4. Arizona
5. Texas
6. UCLA
7. Kansas State
8. Virginia
9. Kansas
10. Tennessee

UVA lost to an unranked VA Texh team yesterday. I don’t think TN drops more than five spots, if that.

Reactions: FlVols
Dang. If we hadn't lost to Florida we could have been #1 and lost to Vandy Wednesday.
That was Bruce. When CRB got to #1 he held on to it for a month.
Factually true.
I should have done my post in pink or purple letters. It wasn't exactly blue font sarcasm, but--as they say in Hollywood--it was "emotionally true."

Maybe we need to designate purple for remarks made out of Battered Vol Syndrome?

Reactions: livefaith
This is the time of year where the teams are fatigued and will have a couple more losses each before year end. Purdue right now is still my number 1 as they have been the most consistent. Even in the loss yesterday, they were in it. UT and Bama's losses were by double digits to unranked teams. I can see us dropping 2 more random games and Bama dropping 2. If we can win the next 2 and then beat Bama we are back in the top 4.

Let Bama have #1 and keep it until Knoxville. We should actually be hoping for that. Not to mention, if I read the almost unbelievable stat correctly, Tennessee is 5-0 against the last five AP #1’s they’ve faced.

Indiana was actually favored in the game vs Purdue. It's not an upset.

Exactly - people see the rankings and think “upset!”-and fail to realize that the actual line was IU on top, and half the betting public had their money on Indiana to cover- which they did.

That said, I’d have Purdue as 1, Bama 2, Vols as maybe 4 or 5

Bama is a top two team imo. Idk what to think about Houston as they play in a weak conference But the Zags do to and reached a final four.

Purdue is very good but nobody goes undefeated. That Eddy kid is around 7’4 but he’s athletic and agile for a big man. Plus he goes strong to the basket. That’s one thing I wish Uros would do as he has 2-3 inches on most defenders.

If the tournament started today and I had to ride or die with one team, it would be Houston. They are coming off back-to-back Elite Eights and have almost everyone back from last season plus their best player in Marcus Sasser, who missed most of last season due to injury. Only team in the nation with top ten offensive and defensive efficiency and a veteran coach who has been to the Final Four.

I would love to see a Final Four with the Vols, Purdue, Houston, and either Kansas State or Bama. All programs who have never won it all.

If the tournament started today and I had to ride or die with one team, it would be Houston. They are coming off back-to-back Elite Eights and have almost everyone back from last season plus their best player in Marcus Sasser, who missed most of last season due to injury. Only team in the nation with top ten offensive and defensive efficiency and a veteran coach who has been to the Final Four.

They look good and their offense is a lot better than many others, incl TN. If I had to pick three teams to advance to the final four rt now, they would be Houston, Bama and Purdue. That could all change in two weeks, and we all know March is about matchups.
Go Vols!

They look good and their offense is a lot better than many others, incl TN. If I had to pick three teams to advance to the final four rt now, they would be Houston, Bama and Purdue. That could all change in two weeks, and we all know March is about matchups.
Go Vols!

The Final Four is in Houston this year, too. That would be something.

I’ve been high on Purdue each of the last three tournaments and they always find a way to $hit the bed. Hope I’m wrong but I’m not sure Painter is a championship caliber coach. Would love to see them and the Vols in the FF.

Reactions: vol94

VN Store

Back