A possible bad scenario with the NCAA

The NCAA won’t do any of it, they have to find a way out now from this or they won’t exist. We can sue for damages alone for leaking this without anything to back it up.
The NCAA has to find a way to keep this from going to court. Any type of penalty will be put on hold until the court cases play out.

The whole thing is just soooo dumb. It makes it look like some who works for the NCAA doesn’t like UT, so they leaked a story to Pat Forde (who loves to opine against UT). I don’t think they were prepared for this blow back and it has the potential to end any future enforcement by the NCAA altogether. Had they not leaked a story, they could have easily just dropped it and moved on. Maybe try to make some new rules, but no one is goi g to listen to them now.

NCAA will survive. The NCAA infractions division may NOT survive. I think the day of NCAA having any say in recruiting or player compensation is about to be gone.

Now as to what body will eventually manage recruiting or NIL, they may come down to the Conferences (B1G and SEC being the premier ones).

Then again, I want to propose something, why regulate recruiting? Let's just open the door to its fullest. The issue with regulating recruiting is that teams will always try to cheat or go around the rules to get an advantage. That is not going to stop no matter who is regulating it.
I look for Baker to throw the infraction investigators under the bus as their way outta this.

Reactions: VolDave53
In what world do you see programs paying an organization to do nothing? An organization that has proven itself incompetent and corrupt time and again. Conferences will police themselves; they want tighter control on the money anyways. This is already being talked about. It’s just with Texas and OU joining here and the big ten having so many members joining as well that the particulars of that need to be worked out

NCAA does a lot more than recruiting. They make the basic rules for each game (penalties), they schedule and maintain most of the sporting events outside Football (think March Madness), etc.

Yeah about 1/3 of the NCAA is probably gone but it has more functions than just recruiting.

Reactions: Winchester73
The only thing that moves slower than the court system is the NCAA. I feel confident there would be court rulings before the NCAA levies any penalties
And the first thing we have asked for is of course an injunction/restraining order to prevent NCAA from acting WHILE the case is pending. I think we have a good chance of being granted that

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
I think we should sue them for 100 million dollars. This gets back the 9 we gave them, and we claim damages to our athletic programs ability to recruit the best athletes because fo their threats of sanctions. Time to sanction the sanctioner out of business!

EXACTLY! They leaked their Investigation! Tom Mars will rake them over the coals; If He is involved, which I believe he is.

NCAA will survive. The NCAA infractions division may NOT survive. I think the day of NCAA having any say in recruiting or player compensation is about to be gone.

Now as to what body will eventually manage recruiting or NIL, they may come down to the Conferences (B1G and SEC being the premier ones).

Then again, I want to propose something, why regulate recruiting? Let's just open the door to its fullest. The issue with regulating recruiting is that teams will always try to cheat or go around the rules to get an advantage. That is not going to stop no matter who is regulating it.
If the NCAA survives, it will have to make a lot of changes in it structure. I don't believe Teams in the Power 5 Conferences, should not have the same rules as teams in Divisions II and III. There are questions if all of the Power 5 conferences should remain in Division I.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
This crap with the NCAA became personal for UT dating back to at least the Bruce Pearl investigation IMO.

Seems every single time a UT program gains some success and seems to be turning the corner from mediocrity, the NCAA comes calling with some arbitrary and capricious investigation into the Vols that you know plenty of other programs are guilty of as well.

Pearl gets busted for a BBQ and lying about it.

Fulmer and Pruitt get in trouble for admittedly being idiots.

Tony Vitello gets a suspension.

Rod Clark gets a suspension.

Heupel has the football team on the upswing in quick order and now the NCAA comes around again talking lack of institutional control so they can really drop the hammer.

Does the NCAA have a satellite office set up in Knoxville at this point or what? Rhetorical question BTW.

Seems a poor allocation of resources if they do given some of the other BS we've seen across the college landscape.

EXACTLY! They leaked their Investigation! Tom Mars will rake them over the coals; If He is involved, which I believe he is.
Mars represents Spyre but I don’t think they’re involved in the hearing on 2/13. I’m sure he’s being consulted with by Tennessee attorneys thou.

They are doing their bidding at the behest of others they want to protect and hope to keep at the top. They've always done this, just like a criminal organization. Now, they are just desperate, because they have been flipped upside down. Now people can do legally, what they always allowed a select few do illegally (Bubba).
This! The love Bama and that's basically what this is all about.

Reactions: Palm Beach Vol
No idea how all that would play out, but it's not going to happen. Unless the NCAA has something nuclear up their sleeves(and I don't think they do), this won't make it to court IMO.They know they'd lose if it reaches that point. I really believe this is a persecution and a power play by the NCAA. I think they viewed us as an easy mark that would cave and a high profile trophy. Don't think they expected it to go this way when they leaked it to Forde. I think they'll try to drag it out just shy of a notice of allegations or a court date.....if UT will sit back and allow them to do that. Personally, I'd force the issue. I'd try to get this to a court room as quickly as I could. The longer this goes, the greater the potential impact on our recruiting and roster for the coming season.
I agree they picked UT because they thought they would threaten the lack of instructional control and UT would quickly agree to more penalties which they could then show other universities that UT was guilty of what we are accusing you with and you need to rollover too.

But I think UT notified old Randy who called his friends at AG’s office who said lets strategize and the day after the NCAA visits UT and makes their threats, we will blow them up with a media campaign and a legal suit. To me, this has been in motion since they heard NCAA wanted to accuse them of something.

Now the NCAA can rollover which means they are done with enforcement or they can take their chance in court. They will go to court it is the only move left on the chessboard. However as it spends 4 years moving through federal court and SCOTUS they are affectively neutered until they get executed by SCOTUS.

No win either way just prolonging the inevitable.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
The NCAA is a member organization--the schools collectively constitute the NCAA. It's not some evil empire on Mars. The sport needs governance, and if the NCAA doesn't do it, who will? Nobody? Market anarchy rules? Maybe....
I disagree. The NCAA has become a beaucratic mess.

Just like we the people elect people to go to Washington and do stupid stuff that is just like the members setup the NCAA who hired people to go to Indy and lose all common sense when it comes to enforcing rules.

When the facts come out does anyone think that Nico might have a lawsuit against the NCAA? Where is Greg Issacs when you need him?
Maybe Nico and sprye can have Mars Ask the NCAA for a formal public apology and some cash to buy a beach house or two.

NCAA won’t be around for much longer if the state wins their suit against them. Pretty much is a slam dunk since NCAA doesn’t have an antitrust exemption.
NCAA can go back to enforcing that kids go to classes.

Needs to be changed in the NIL and Transfer portal. This wholesale transferring anytime you want to the highest bidder needs to go. These are the changes I would make.
1. NIL cap of $20,000 per player
2. Transfer from a lower division ( II,III or
NAIA) to a higher division immediately
eligible.
3. Transfers from a power five school must
sit a year to go anywhere and be
restricted to $10,000 for the year they
sit.

Needs to be changed in the NIL and Transfer portal. This wholesale transferring anytime you want to the highest bidder needs to go. These are the changes I would make.
eligible.
sit.
You do know that both 1 and 3 would never survive a courtroom, right?

eligible.
sit.
You haven't followed the court cases involving both of those things, have you? The NCAA lost both of those. Calling NIL is illegal. What you are advocating violates federal law.

I think we should sue them for 100 million dollars. This gets back the 9 we gave them, and we claim damages to our athletic programs ability to recruit the best athletes because fo their threats of sanctions. Time to sanction the sanctioner out of business!
hey all hey do is professional extortion.....time to get a refund

VN Store

Back