A State of the Program Address (longish)

Like many, I would like to see this team go on a winning streak that takes them to an E8 or F4, but the realist in me believes we will see more of the same. This team has good players, but there are no elite players, save Rickea, but even she has room for improvement defensively. But even a team of good players with great fundamentals will more often than not beat really good or boarderline great teams. But we are not seeing that with this team. I don't know how much can be done about this year's team, but going forward changes need to be made if a different result is to be secured. Right now, it looks like we are the #4 team in the SEC, hopefully that will change with a good remainder of the season. Here's to the "#BOUNCE BACK 2024."

What? It’s all on social media that the ones Tennessee really wants.. Tennessee gets!

Tennessee 2025 commit Nyla Brooks arguably the best W in 2025 and a future Top 10 recruit. Her stock has skyrocketed after she put 24 points on a nationally ranked team including the #3 2024 prospect and Tennessee 2027 commit Finley Chastain who is projected as a Top 10 recruit in her class.
Kaniya Boyd elite Top 30 early enrollee and redshirt 2022 5-star McD All-American Talaysia Cooper.
Top #3 SEC team and they haven’t even hit their ceiling yet.

According to Wiki, the Lady Vols made the Elite Eight in 2013, 2015, and 2016.
Back to back…and we have some piggy back off we were one of 7 teams to make the last two S16 as a form of accomplishment. Minimum expectations

My first post here so please be nice. IMHO college sports is more about recruiting than coaching but if you have both? Where do the lady Vols stand in recruiting rankings over the last five to ten years. Top ten, top twenty-someone enlighten me because I do not know but have my suspicions.

The Miss St game was nice to see, we had only 9 TOs which limited easy transition points. Although our fouls were quite low, I think that was because the officials were letting them play. A lot more fouls could have been called on both sides. I thought we played much more physically, on the ball and off the ball. State did not get many easy looks and when they did get looks they had to work very hard to get them or had to deal with the presence of Key for almost 30 minutes.

Key looked great, played a lot of minutes, but still seemed fresh at the end -- very, very promising.

Wynn was fantastic, if she can bottle that performance, she needs a lot more minutes.

Jackson did not shoot great but was good enough. 6-18 won't get it done vs LSU or SC and won't get us past he S16.

Puckett, I thought, also turned in a very nice game. Held her own on defense, and made some very crafty shots on offense.

Tennessee needs every player in the rotation to be efficient.
This team is 4-1 in SEC play for a reason.
Don’t need any hero ball.
Watching the replay, outside of the 1str qtr the team limited the empty possessions.
The LadyVols are a few strategic decisions away from being a formidable opponent for any team in the SEC.

My first post here so please be nice. IMHO college sports is more about recruiting than coaching but if you have both? Where do the lady Vols stand in recruiting rankings over the last five to ten years. Top ten, top twenty-someone enlighten me because I do not know but have my suspicions.
I think @WinnerCircle is right
1705696076928.png

The Miss St game was nice to see, we had only 9 TOs which limited easy transition points. Although our fouls were quite low, I think that was because the officials were letting them play. A lot more fouls could have been called on both sides. I thought we played much more physically, on the ball and off the ball. State did not get many easy looks and when they did get looks they had to work very hard to get them or had to deal with the presence of Key for almost 30 minutes.

Key looked great, played a lot of minutes, but still seemed fresh at the end -- very, very promising.

Wynn was fantastic, if she can bottle that performance, she needs a lot more minutes.

Jackson did not shoot great but was good enough. 6-18 won't get it done vs LSU or SC and won't get us past he S16.

Puckett, I thought, also turned in a very nice game. Held her own on defense, and made some very crafty shots on offense.

Did you remember her turn around bank shot. It looked like she turned the wrong way, making an easier shot tougher but it was $. I can recall exactly what Holly said but it an expression of surprise that SP could make that shot.

Rickea is just missing some makeable midrange shots and I am sure her % are going to go up but there is a trade-off with Key. Rickea spends less time camped out in the paint. The net +- is clearly worth it but RJ is having to make some adjustments.

Did you remember her turn around bank shot. It looked like she turned the wrong way, making an easier shot tougher but it was $. I can recall exactly what Holly said but it an expression of surprise that SP could make that shot.

Rickea is just missing some makeable midrange shots and I am sure her % are going to go up but there is a trade-off with Key. Rickea spends less time camped out in the paint. The net +- is clearly worth it but RJ is having to make some adjustments.

Regarding Puckett that was the best one, fading away, soft, not rushed, high off the glass - Bucketts

I don't know if you are from this area,,but when I first moved to knoxville I caught viruses that didn't exist in Atlanta and had problems for the first few years with allergies and this very wet air.

If you saw RJ's after-gameinterview it looked like she just ran a marathon (sweating).

If any of those factors are true it would affect her depth-perception (mentality)
Mostof her shots were short, not left or right
left/right = mechanics
long/short=mental

Best defensive performance ytd from LV’s, no question. State has some talent.

VN Store

Back