A View from Big Ben : Kentucky

London Vol

FROM GAME MANAGER TO COACH KILLER

One thing I have always not liked about American Football was that in a squad of 53, one position has so much importance. Look how all the Heisman trophies always go to a Quarterback, who gets the biggest contracts on Sundays, it’s the Quarterback, who gets the prom queen, you will need to help me with this one. So my views about the Kentucky match is heavily biased by the performance of the Quarterback.

QUARTERBACK
I want to put on record I think Jarrett is a decent person, a brave warrior and committed Vol for life and I do thank him for all his efforts and please do not be personal in your criticism of him. But as for a number of years conjoined to his roller-coaster, it is time to cut the ribbon. We have a saying in English football that when a team is struggling and the fan base are torn from one section who say “we can still turn this around” to another section who say “it hasn’t worked, it isn’t working and it won’t work” the best solution for all concerned is the team instead of losing 3-2 or 4-3 where the first section can point out hope, it is actually better that the team loses 5-0 then there is no more debate. Ladies & Gentlemen I give you Kentucky 34 Tennessee 7, the biggest home defeat to them since 1936. Just read this list of moments that was TOTALLY on the Quarterback

1) We immediately stopped their much vaunted running game at the start of the match and then moved the ball to the 30 quite comfortably. Even I know (and I never played a down in my life) that you DO NOT take a sack as that will take you out of field goal range. I don’t care about protection issues it just must not happen.
2) Having thrown a couple of 1st downs in the flat, he did it again, why would you not jump that route. So two good drives, two solid stops by the Defense and we are unbelievably 7-0 down
3) Does he get yanked? no. We have then a run play called and Chandler reaches for the ball, Jarrett decides on this own to change the play, a collision incurs and we lose the ball (does anyone remember Alabama, I thought so)
4) The game manager now decides to throw into double coverage and it 14-0.
5) Possibly the worst moment for me (and lets face it there was some stiff competition, see above) was, despite the disasters, we have now recovered to 17-7 just before half time, any score now it’s a one score game and we have the ball at the start of the second half. Palmer runs a brilliant route and is wide open for a 15 to 20 yard gain, Jarrett has all the time in the world from good pass protection and he under threw him.
Later he also decided to throw off the back foot and the Kentucky safety dropped another pick 6.

It is now apparent Chaney dare not let him throw ANYTHING so it runs all the way, if that’s the level of confidence in the game manger that handing off is all his duties then play a Duel Option Quarterback like Holliday, totally baffling.

JD Shrout was given two snaps (technically one as he was backed up by a chop-block penalty) and threw a risky pass and it was intercepted. he then gets yanked, if I was you JD, transfer now, you have no future here.

Harrison Bailey came on at last, only to hear that he has had a total of 10 snaps in pre-season, now I know this is a unique season with COVID and with no spring and limited fall practices, but in one pass to Wideman (by the way Hyatt and Wideman are being woefully underused due to the restricted play book for the game manager) he showed there is talent there.

To Summarise, Jarrett is no Game Manager in fact two losses are down partially and totally down to him. Any progression this season is now gone. So bite the bullet and hand the keys to Bailey, Take the lumps this season and maybe just maybe during the long winter months we can dream that we might again compete with the Elites.

JARRETT IS NOT A GAME MANAGER BUT IS A COACH KILLER

Like others, I actually think there were many good points yesterday but I started with the Quarterback as this performance is disproportionally important to the team.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Not perfect but much better, When everybody and his mother knew we were going to run the ball we still went right down the field. Imagine what holes they could create if the defense had to respect our passing game.

RUNNING BACKS
Eric Gray again proved what a talent he is and at last he is getting 2/3 of the running plays. As mentioned many times he makes people miss, this is what Chandler cant do.

WIDE RECEIVERS
If you are scared to throw at all then its not Palmer, Johnson or the talented Rookies fault. Having criticised Keyton in the past, he finally left his mark on the opposition.

TIGHT ENDS

………………………..…..cant think of anything else to say!

DEFENSIVE LINE

Actually, I am sad that for the second game they hung in there whilst the Offense failed. There were multiple good moments but naturally they wore down. Last two games we 0-44 points in the second half.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

Bennett was the pick this week

INSIDE LINEBACKERS
Henry T is Henry T but Crouch shone more however, a run heavy opposition is a better match for him that pass coverage.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Thompson have a good strip and Shamburger was better this week but not back to last years standard. Still not happy how the slants seem so open though.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Brooks got out punted and I still await Jones first touchdown return.

I am still a believer with Pruitt but he must cut loose Jarrett otherwise he will sink with him.

GO VOLS.

FROM GAME MANAGER TO COACH KILLER

One thing I have always not liked about American Football was that in a squad of 53, one position has so much importance. Look how all the Heisman trophies always go to a Quarterback, who gets the biggest contracts on Sundays, it’s the Quarterback, who gets the prom queen, you will need to help me with this one. So my views about the Kentucky match is heavily biased by the performance of the Quarterback.

QUARTERBACK
I want to put on record I think Jarrett is a decent person, a brave warrior and committed Vol for life and I do thank him for all his efforts and please do not be personal in your criticism of him. But as for a number of years conjoined to his roller-coaster, it is time to cut the ribbon. We have a saying in English football that when a team is struggling and the fan base are torn from one section who say “we can still turn this around” to another section who say “it hasn’t worked, it isn’t working and it won’t work” the best solution for all concerned is the team instead of losing 3-2 or 4-3 where the first section can point out hope, it is actually better that the team loses 5-0 then there is no more debate. Ladies & Gentlemen I give you Kentucky 34 Tennessee 7, the biggest home defeat to them since 1936. Just read this list of moments that was TOTALLY on the Quarterback

1) We immediately stopped their much vaunted running game at the start of the match and then moved the ball to the 30 quite comfortably. Even I know (and I never played a down in my life) that you DO NOT take a sack as that will take you out of field goal range. I don’t care about protection issues it just must not happen.
2) Having thrown a couple of 1st downs in the flat, he did it again, why would you not jump that route. So two good drives, two solid stops by the Defense and we are unbelievably 7-0 down
3) Does he get yanked? no. We have then a run play called and Chandler reaches for the ball, Jarrett decides on this own to change the play, a collision incurs and we lose the ball (does anyone remember Alabama, I thought so)
4) The game manager now decides to throw into double coverage and it 14-0.
5) Possibly the worst moment for me (and lets face it there was some stiff competition, see above) was, despite the disasters, we have now recovered to 17-7 just before half time, any score now it’s a one score game and we have the ball at the start of the second half. Palmer runs a brilliant route and is wide open for a 15 to 20 yard gain, Jarrett has all the time in the world from good pass protection and he under threw him.
Later he also decided to throw off the back foot and the Kentucky safety dropped another pick 6.

It is now apparent Chaney dare not let him throw ANYTHING so it runs all the way, if that’s the level of confidence in the game manger that handing off is all his duties then play a Duel Option Quarterback like Holliday, totally baffling.

JD Shrout was given two snaps (technically one as he was backed up by a chop-block penalty) and threw a risky pass and it was intercepted. he then gets yanked, if I was you JD, transfer now, you have no future here.

Harrison Bailey came on at last, only to hear that he has had a total of 10 snaps in pre-season, now I know this is a unique season with COVID and with no spring and limited fall practices, but in one pass to Wideman (by the way Hyatt and Wideman are being woefully underused due to the restricted play book for the game manager) he showed there is talent there.

To Summarise, Jarrett is no Game Manager in fact two losses are down partially and totally down to him. Any progression this season is now gone. So bite the bullet and hand the keys to Bailey, Take the lumps this season and maybe just maybe during the long winter months we can dream that we might again compete with the Elites.

JARRETT IS NOT A GAME MANAGER BUT IS A COACH KILLER

Like others, I actually think there were many good points yesterday but I started with the Quarterback as this performance is disproportionally important to the team.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Not perfect but much better, When everybody and his mother knew we were going to run the ball we still went right down the field. Imagine what holes they could create if the defense had to respect our passing game.

RUNNING BACKS
Eric Gray again proved what a talent he is and at last he is getting 2/3 of the running plays. As mentioned many times he makes people miss, this is what Chandler cant do.

WIDE RECEIVERS
If you are scared to throw at all then its not Palmer, Johnson or the talented Rookies fault. Having criticised Keyton in the past, he finally left his mark on the opposition.

TIGHT ENDS

………………………..…..cant think of anything else to say!

DEFENSIVE LINE

Actually, I am sad that for the second game they hung in there whilst the Offense failed. There were multiple good moments but naturally they wore down. Last two games we 0-44 points in the second half.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

Bennett was the pick this week

INSIDE LINEBACKERS
Henry T is Henry T but Crouch shone more however, a run heavy opposition is a better match for him that pass coverage.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Thompson have a good strip and Shamburger was better this week but not back to last years standard. Still not happy how the slants seem so open though.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Brooks got out punted and I still await Jones first touchdown return.

I am still a believer with Pruitt but he must cut loose Jarrett otherwise he will sink with him.

GO VOLS.
Spot on

I agree its time to move on from Guantanamo. I've been saying this since the beginning of the season, get Bailey some live game reps and get him ready for the JG implosion, I knew it was coming when we played a quality opponent(s).

I was ridiculed on here by some (not mentioning names) for saying this. Look who was right! Ive only been watching Tennessee football for 30+ years.. what the heck do I know?!

Were the WRs open? Besides JGs targets, which were not. The TV broadcast gave me no sense of it.

Forgot to mention

NEXT GAME ALABAMA

Instead of watching this from my Sofa I shall be peeping from behind the curtains.

Also hoping that next morning my family forget to ask me how the Vols did?

Reactions: feathersax
I always enjoy your posts. How did you become a Vol fan?

In the early 1980s we could get American Armed Forces radio and they had NFL on and at the same time we had highlights on TV. This was when Dan Marino was "the man" so I became a Dolphins fan.

Fast forward to 2009 and suddenly college football was on television,to be accurate the Tennessee v Alabama game. All my life I have been a Blackpool Football fan and they are the only team in England to play in .......Orange and White and there was this team in Orange and White so it was "come on the Vols". They were the underdog fighting so hard to overcome Bama and all they they needed was a field goal from two tries and then Mount Cody stepped up. I was proud the way the underdog fought so hard and they played in Orange and White, I was hooked.

Two particular moments proved that I totally chose the BEST team to support

1) The fans revolt over the appointment of Greg Schiano. You fans proved that whilst winning is so wanted it must never be at any cost
2) The boy who was bullied because of this home made T-Shirt and you the fans bought it in your thousands. Only the best would do that.

Funnily I have chosen the worse period in over hundred years to support the Vols but strangely each year of failure makes you dream harder so I am not giving up and this time I believe we have the right guy.

Go Vols

JG is a liability, period. Too much time wasted on him. Someone else’s opportunity now.

Slants have been killer. We can’t execute them on offense, can’t stop them on defense.....

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
In the early 1980s we could get American Armed Forces radio and they had NFL on and at the same time we had highlights on TV. This was when Dan Marino was "the man" so I became a Dolphins fan.

Fast forward to 2009 and suddenly college football was on television,to be accurate the Tennessee v Alabama game. All my life I have been a Blackpool Football fan and they are the only team in England to play in .......Orange and White and there was this team in Orange and White so it was "come on the Vols". They were the underdog fighting so hard to overcome Bama and all they they needed was a field goal from two tries and then Mount Cody stepped up. I was proud the way the underdog fought so hard and they played in Orange and White, I was hooked.

1) The fans revolt over the appointment of Greg Schiano. You fans proved that whilst winning is so wanted it must never be at any cost
2) The boy who was bullied because of this home made T-Shirt and you the fans bought it in your thousands. Only the best would do that.

Funnily I have chosen the worse period in over hundred years to support the Vols but strangely each year of failure makes you dream harder so I am not giving up and this time I believe we have the right guy.

Go Vols
Glad you are a Vols fan LV!
I enjoy reading your insightful post
The SHITNO fiasco and support for the boy who was bullied shows Vol fans do care and are a force to be dealt with.
Better days are hopefully ahead.
GBO! 🍊🍊

You are picking up on the nuances and strategy of American football. Hopefully one day, when our team no longer sucks, you can make it to Neyland for some tailgating, a few beers and a Vol win.

Glad you are a Vols fan LV!
I enjoy reading your insightful post
The SHITNO fiasco and support for the boy who was bullied shows Vol fans do care and are a force to be dealt with.
Better days are hopefully ahead.
GBO! 🍊🍊

I appreciate your comments

You are picking up on the nuances and strategy of American football. Hopefully one day, when our team no longer sucks, you can make it to Neyland for some tailgating, a few beers and a Vol win.

I've got a long way to go with the nuances and strategy of American football and I would love to sample the gameday experience one day, we all look forward to better times on and off the field.

Reactions: fullmetalvol

Go Vols

Yay, a fellow Dolphins fan. Man, we can pick em no? The Fins have won two in a row.....sad to says the Dolphins are my only saving grace on football weekends. Which have been far and few in between for years.

JG.....agree. Too bad CJP doesnt. But if he starts against Arkansas, CJP's off my Christmas list.

Yay, a fellow Dolphins fan. Man, we can pick em no? The Fins have won two in a row.....sad to says the Dolphins are my only saving grace on football weekends. Which have been far and few in between for years.

JG.....agree. Too bad CJP doesnt. But if he starts against Arkansas, CJP's off my Christmas list.

I agree the last two sundays the dolphins have allowed me not to combust however they no longer come close to the Vols in my pecking order

Interestly though, I watch with amazement at their choice of quarterback when the "future quarterback" rides the pine, now where have I seen that?

Reactions: nomads-11
I agree the last two sundays the dolphins have allowed me not to combust however they no longer come close to the Vols in my pecking order

Interestly though, I watch with amazement at their choice of quarterback when the "future quarterback" rides the pine, now where have I seen that?

If you're talking about the 'Fins, they just announced Tua will now start.

Reactions: London Vol

VN Store

Back