A View from Big Ben: Review after Spring Training

London Vol

REVIEW AFTER SPRING TRAINING

Spring training is well and truly in the book as well as the “class of 2024” signed up, so now we wait for the Fall training and the 2024 season. I thought I would throw out some thoughts of where I think we are at this point. Please feel free to agree or disagree with me.

QUARTERBACKS

There was only one marker to evaluate how the off-season has gone so far at Quarterback and that was “is Nico still healthy?”. As the answer is yes, then it has been a successful off-season, because, quite frankly Iamaleava`s ceiling is also Tennessee’s ceiling in 2024 and 2025. Nico again showed his abundant promise, this time in the Orange and White game, so get the cotton wool out and wrap him up until the 31st August comes around when Chattanooga come visiting. As a side note Moore and Merklinger both look acceptable back-ups but really Its Nico Time

RUNNING BACKS

Whilst the Vols are usually classified as a passing team, the truth is Tennessee run it just as much and so from a unit that has been well stocked for a number of years this may be the thinnest. Josh Heupel likes a stable of running backs to share the load and whilst Sampson is a baller (hopefully also a blocker) it gets sketchy from there. Seldon is probably No 2 on the depth chart but he is both unproven and recovering from surgery. Peyton Lewis, whilst having the perfect Christian name is a freshman and also suffering from surgery. Bishop and Keith both look serviceable but neither have shown yet to be the next Jaylen Wright. Its late but a visit again to the Transfer Portal could very well happen.

WIDE RECEIVERS
From the thinnest to the most stacked department in my humble opinion. The depth of talent here is obscene. We have Bru McCoy (hopefully back to full fitness), Squirrel and Thornton both returning and all three should do better given the new Quarterback (I have forgotten his name). Chris Brazzell was a great capture from the Portal and will push immediately for reps. Mick Matthews and Braylon Staley have both shown that being freshmen does not mean they cannot contribute as early as this season and I think Matthews particularly, will be hard to leave off the pitch as soon as he gets on it. The talent does not stop yet as Nimrod and Webb have done no wrong either last season or in the off season but I fear, as with Nathan Leacock, through no fault of their own, the Transfer Portal will be their only route to lots of playing time in 2024.

TIGHT ENDS
Coach Heupel usually goes for a couple of Tight Ends to share the blocking and receiving duties so it was understandable that Holden Staes was targeted and recruited heavily from the Portal (he was the No 1 Tight End) and after injury last season, the emergence of Ethan Davis is predicted. However, with the signing of Miles Kitselman, the Vols may have unearthed a little gem. So, after losing Warren and Castles we may be fine here after all.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Thanks to NIL money and the lure of Knoxville we have Mays, Spraggins and Campbell returning and with the transfer signing of Lance Heard (what a beast this guy looks) we jut may have our Left Tackle for the next three years. That leaves only one starting spot to fill and that is Left Guard. The “runners and riders” are Lampley (a 6 year depth player who also did well late last season as the starter), Karic (disappointing transfer last season), Umarov (promising but no experience yet) Bennett Warren (still to arrive on camp and whilst he is tagged as Tackle at 6’7” and 342 lbs I wondered if he learn on the job next to Mays?. Finally, if the right guard was available in the Transfer Portal it might be appealing to make a move.

DEFENSIVE LINE
Like the Wide Receivers this is the deepest Defensive Tackle group I have known since I became a fan in 2009 and it’s not even close. Thomas and Eason then Norman Lott and Simmons then Hobbs and Moi (a very useful addition) means by rotating, everyone should be fresh especially in the 4th quarter. But amazingly the Defensive Ends are just as deep but actually also at an Elite level. Pearce is already regarded as possibly No 1 in the country, and he is paired with West then Josephs and Bailey are followed by Herring/Bradley and Weathersby. The assortment of riches still doesn’t finish there as Jackson Ross arrives soon and was unblockable at the exhibition games in January. That is the definition of “well stocked”.

LINEBACKERS

Pili. returning for 57th year and Arion Carter should prove very good Linebackers and Telander continues to impress both coaches and onlookers whilst Jalen Smith is starting to emerge. But I would also like to highlight the human missile that is Edwin Spillman, as demonstrated in the O&W game. Apart from Pili there is very little experience in this Unit but it is also very very talented.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Could at last the Cornerbacks not “bring up the rear” as they have done so for a good few years now. Gibson and transfer Jermod McCoy seem to be penciled in as starters but Matthews, who was highly ranked, started to show up in the O&W game and Kaleb Beasley was a highly sort after recruit in the 2024 class will push fro playing time. Safety is far from clear as Turrentine, Slaughter, Harrison and transfer Jourdan Thomas are all making their case, so this is a fall decision. Finally last but not least, the Star position which was presumed to go to Jacobe Thomas will go to my hot pick, Boo Carter who in the next three years is going to make huge mark, mark my words.

Thank you for reading my ramblings and just 100+ days to Chattanooga.

Remember “the futures bright the futures orange.”

GO VOLS

Spring training is well and truly in the book as well as the “class of 2024” signed up, so now we wait for the Fall training and the 2024 season. I thought I would throw out some thoughts of where I think we are at this point. Please feel free to agree or disagree with me.

QUARTERBACKS

There was only one marker to evaluate how the off-season has gone so far at Quarterback and that was “is Nico still healthy?”. As the answer is yes, then it has been a successful off-season, because, quite frankly Iamaleava`s ceiling is also Tennessee’s ceiling in 2024 and 2025. Nico again showed his abundant promise, this time in the Orange and White game, so get the cotton wool out and wrap him up until the 31st August comes around when Chattanooga come visiting. As a side note Moore and Merklinger both look acceptable back-ups but really Its Nico Time

RUNNING BACKS

Whilst the Vols are usually classified as a passing team, the truth is Tennessee run it just as much and so from a unit that has been well stocked for a number of years this may be the thinnest. Josh Heupel likes a stable of running backs to share the load and whilst Sampson is a baller (hopefully also a blocker) it gets sketchy from there. Seldon is probably No 2 on the depth chart but he is both unproven and recovering from surgery. Peyton Lewis, whilst having the perfect Christian name is a freshman and also suffering from surgery. Bishop and Keith both look serviceable but neither have shown yet to be the next Jaylen Wright. Its late but a visit again to the Transfer Portal could very well happen.

WIDE RECEIVERS
From the thinnest to the most stacked department in my humble opinion. The depth of talent here is obscene. We have Bru McCoy (hopefully back to full fitness), Squirrel and Thornton both returning and all three should do better given the new Quarterback (I have forgotten his name). Chris Brazzell was a great capture from the Portal and will push immediately for reps. Mick Matthews and Braylon Staley have both shown that being freshmen does not mean they cannot contribute as early as this season and I think Matthews particularly, will be hard to leave off the pitch as soon as he gets on it. The talent does not stop yet as Nimrod and Webb have done no wrong either last season or in the off season but I fear, as with Nathan Leacock, through no fault of their own, the Transfer Portal will be their only route to lots of playing time in 2024.

TIGHT ENDS
Coach Heupel usually goes for a couple of Tight Ends to share the blocking and receiving duties so it was understandable that Holden Staes was targeted and recruited heavily from the Portal (he was the No 1 Tight End) and after injury last season, the emergence of Ethan Davis is predicted. However, with the signing of Miles Kitselman, the Vols may have unearthed a little gem. So, after losing Warren and Castles we may be fine here after all.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Thanks to NIL money and the lure of Knoxville we have Mays, Spraggins and Campbell returning and with the transfer signing of Lance Heard (what a beast this guy looks) we jut may have our Left Tackle for the next three years. That leaves only one starting spot to fill and that is Left Guard. The “runners and riders” are Lampley (a 6 year depth player who also did well late last season as the starter), Karic (disappointing transfer last season), Umarov (promising but no experience yet) Bennett Warren (still to arrive on camp and whilst he is tagged as Tackle at 6’7” and 342 lbs I wondered if he learn on the job next to Mays?. Finally, if the right guard was available in the Transfer Portal it might be appealing to make a move.

DEFENSIVE LINE
Like the Wide Receivers this is the deepest Defensive Tackle group I have known since I became a fan in 2009 and it’s not even close. Thomas and Eason then Norman Lott and Simmons then Hobbs and Moi (a very useful addition) means by rotating, everyone should be fresh especially in the 4th quarter. But amazingly the Defensive Ends are just as deep but actually also at an Elite level. Pearce is already regarded as possibly No 1 in the country, and he is paired with West then Josephs and Bailey are followed by Herring/Bradley and Weathersby. The assortment of riches still doesn’t finish there as Jackson Ross arrives soon and was unblockable at the exhibition games in January. That is the definition of “well stocked”.

LINEBACKERS

Pili. returning for 57th year and Arion Carter should prove very good Linebackers and Telander continues to impress both coaches and onlookers whilst Jalen Smith is starting to emerge. But I would also like to highlight the human missile that is Edwin Spillman, as demonstrated in the O&W game. Apart from Pili there is very little experience in this Unit but it is also very very talented.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Could at last the Cornerbacks not “bring up the rear” as they have done so for a good few years now. Gibson and transfer Jermod McCoy seem to be penciled in as starters but Matthews, who was highly ranked, started to show up in the O&W game and Kaleb Beasley was a highly sort after recruit in the 2024 class will push fro playing time. Safety is far from clear as Turrentine, Slaughter, Harrison and transfer Jourdan Thomas are all making their case, so this is a fall decision. Finally last but not least, the Star position which was presumed to go to Jacobe Thomas will go to my hot pick, Boo Carter who in the next three years is going to make huge mark, mark my words.

GO VOLS
Always enjoyable to read your posts.

The assortment of riches still doesn’t finish there as Jackson Ross arrives soon and was unblockable at the exhibition games in January.
Nice write up and not to nit pick but its Jordan Ross..I just seen it and thought I tell ya

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Didn’t get to watch much of the game yesterday but I tuned in just in time to see a Nico dime to nimrod and a beautiful td throw by Moore on the ensuing possession. Bring on UTC!!

So to read your analysis, LV. You've been missed. Springtime in Rocky Top is good! Look forward to watching a replay of the Orange-White "game". Your report whets my appetite. How are you feeling these days? :cool:

So to read your analysis, LV. You've been missed. Springtime in Rocky Top is good! Look forward to watching a replay of the Orange-White "game". Your report whets my appetite. How are you feeling these days? :cool:
Thank you friend, I am like a bout of gout, rather irritating and hard to get rid of.

I have full diary of treatments this month but will be following GBO in all its formats here as always.

Reactions: feathersax
Gout?! @London Vol, you are more like the dark-eyed juncos or red-breasted grosbeaks which are reliable seasonal visitors every year. Be well, do good work, and stay in touch.

Gout?! @London Vol, you are more like the dark-eyed juncos or red-breasted grosbeaks which are reliable seasonal visitors every year. Be well, do good work, and stay in touch.
I have absolutely no idea what a "dark eyed junco"or a "red-breasted grosbeak" is but I like it :).

I will let you know how things go, take are yourself.

QUARTERBACKS

RUNNING BACKS

WIDE RECEIVERS

TIGHT ENDS

OFFENSIVE LINE

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

GO VOLS
Good heavens LV!!! Looks like you think we will be world beaters. Could this be a case of the spring fever that effects so many of us every year??

"Peyton Lewis, whilst having the perfect Christian name is a freshman and also suffering from surgery"

I chuckled at that.

Reactions: London Vol
Thank you friend, I am like a bout of gout, rather irritating and hard to get rid of.

I have full diary of treatments this month but will be following GBO in all its formats here as always.
Benjamin Franklin suffered from gout, so at least you're in good company.

College football is hope eternal. Every preseason, the Vols are 12-0 til otherwise.

Good heavens LV!!! Looks like you think we will be world beaters. Could this be a case of the spring fever that effects so many of us every year??

Hi savannafan, Yes I am optimistic (but your right I usually am at this time of the season) but these are the 4 main reasons:

Defensive Line - we have been stout against the run for a few years and this department is stacked and experienced and I truly believe we have the best DE`s in the country. SEC is a line of scrimmage league.

Offensive Line - Full of returnees (I didnt expect them all back). SEC is a line of scrimmage league.

Wide Receivers - Please tell me when we have had so much talent here and that can be fully utilised by a QB who is really talented and accurate

Spirit in the camp - Something that is hard to judge but is really important to any success. Well hardly any coaches or players of importance have jumped ship which means I deduce its a happy ship.

Basically thats it.

Another good write-up. I will only add 2 more comments, if I may.
-- Linebackers -- While you did indeed name our most promising ones, I will add that E.Herring and K.Perry have game experience and can at least be plugged in there when needed.
-- Transfer portal -- i don't necessarily agree that we need it right now for incoming, either for rbs or OGs, but it really makes me uneasy when our folks suggest it for any of our guys as out-going (why DO that?).

Again, thanks for taking the time to sum it all up. 🧡👍

Another good write-up. I will only add 2 more comments, if I may.
-- Linebackers -- While you did indeed name our most promising ones, I will add that E.Herring and K.Perry have game experience and can at least be plugged in there when needed.
-- Transfer portal -- i don't necessarily agree that we need it right now for incoming, either for rbs or OGs, but it really makes me uneasy when our folks suggest it for any of our guys as out-going (why DO that?).

Again, thanks for taking the time to sum it all up. 🧡👍
Good points orangebloodmac

Linebackers - i dont seem to know much about K Perry as he seems to be "under he radar" often. As for E. Herring, this guy has a huge heart and a good tackler but he was found out last season on his side to side mobility. But I definitely dont give up on him but I would love Rodney Garner to take him under his wing like Eason and convert him to a tough SDE.

Transfer Portal - fair point about out-going transfers and I sincerely hope everybody stays but I was just trying to be realistic as there is a log jam at WR and Coach Heupel dosen`t really rotate WRs

Thank you for your kind words.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back