A win is enough for me but what about you?

A blow OUT would be great, but if UT wins by one point, and wins every game they play this year by one point to go 15-0 at the end of the season they are still the SEC champion and the College Football Champion.

My point is if they win by one or thirty, a win is still a WIN. So if the Vols win by only one point, I will enjoy the H€!! out of it!

Utah State is good. Good enough to win Sunday, with that said I'll take a W, score be damned.

Here's my stance.

IF we execute properly, make very little mistakes, drop very few passes, and control what we can control well, and we win by a little margin because Utah State played well as well, then I will be happy.

If we play like crap, and execute poorly, and manage to lose, or win by only a little, then no, I won't be okay.

I want execution, and I want discipline. I know that will be hard to ask from such a young team. BUT, they have to do as Butch says and "control the controllables."

Well said.

A win is a win and that is what is important. However if we don't get style points I'm sure this place will blow up on Monday.

I am expecting a win by 14+ points. However I will except a win by any margin. If USU holds our offense to a low score or they rack up a lot of yards on us I will be concerned. USU has lost quite a few players from last year and Keaton is coming off of a torn ACL. This is not the same USU team.

People need to realize this is not Auburn, Oregon, Florida, Georgia or Alabama. This is Utah State. We are Tennessee. This game should not be that close. We have tons more talent at the skill positions.

Reactions: 3 people
They lost to USC last year by 3. Let's just hope we win. Also they beat some teams by 60 or more points last year. They played crappy teams, but 60 points is about what we would have scored on crappy teams too.

I personally think people are undervaluing US as a team. USU 2014 is NOT USU 2013. They lost a ton of production on both sides of the ball and while I'm sure the guys who are replacing them have been in the system for a while, you can't tell me the talent level between us and them are comparable! Chucky Keaton is a talented QB but he's also coming off of an ACL injury. Plus is he going to beat us alone? Hell no! We're going to whip that polygamist ass and send them AND their sister wives crying back to Logan! Have some faith people!

They lost to USC last year by 3. Let's just hope we win. Also they beat some teams by 60 or more points last year. They played crappy teams, but 60 points is about what we would have scored on crappy teams too.

They're not the same team as last year and neither are we! Relax man, we've got this!

Reactions: 1 person
I am expecting a win by 14+ points. However I will except a win by any margin. If USU holds our offense to a low score or they rack up a lot of yards on us I will be concerned. USU has lost quite a few players from last year and Keaton is coming off of a torn ACL. This is not the same USU team.

People need to realize this is not Auburn, Oregon, Florida, Georgia or Alabama. This is Utah State. We are Tennessee. This game should not be that close. We have tons more talent at the skill positions.

THIS!:salute:

I would be happy with a win, but most of VN seems to vastly underrate Utah State and would definitely overreact.

If the team views Utah State the same as most of the posters here, we lose by 21. If the teams views them as a team that could beat them, we win by 17.

Attitude

Attitude

Attitude.

Come late Sunday night, even if we win by 30, there will be somebody on here posting some crap about the bad coaching job by "Coach ABCDEFG". His unit was not playing as well as they should and all the VN coaches will have suggestions on new players to FIX that units problems. Heck let's just win this game by whatever margin and enjoy beating a pretty darn good team. I just want to see this team get off on the right foot mentally with a win and work towards hopefully at least 6 this year and a bowl game. Like Pat always told the Lady Vols "win and advance" which is what we would be doing, advancing towards a bowl game. With that said I hope we beat them by 30 but I will take a 1 point win and look forward to Arky State. GBO

They're not the same team as last year and neither are we! Relax man, we've got this!

I agree, I'm not sweating this game too much, UT will face much bigger challenges this season, if they can't handle a mid major at home they are destined to have the worst season ever in UT history.

Wal, this here ol' "unrealistic geezer" sez we gonna whip dey azz! It gonna be a frog stompin! Our Vols gonna stomp em a puddle an walk it dry, an after the game we gonna have enough frog legs layin around to fry up for a church social. Sumbody call the am bu lances an have em lined up outside Utahs locker room!

This isn't a cupcake opener like Austin Peay! Utah State has talent and has winners on their roster. Of course I want to see team 118 blow them out but honestly as long as we win I don't care much about the score. We are young and this will be a good test. Anyone feel like if we don't win big its a huge disappointment? Do you predict a VN meltdown if it takes a last minute drive to get the W?

They said the same thing about Western Kentucky and NC state. We were a losing team both of those seasons. We handed NC State their butts on a platter and they were supposed to be all-world, despite having the worst defense in Tennessee history that season under Sunseri. I'm just not sure I buy all the Utah State hype because they say that about our opener every year. However, we are young like you said and it's the first game. But if we can barely beat Utah State we are in for another losing season, unless we improve later. I will be disappointed if we just sqeak by, and I do predict a volnation meltdown if that's the case. But hey, I'm a VOL! I'm not totally grounded in reality.:)

Last edited:
UT ST. and APSU (for example) are not the same animal.

Squeaking by APSU would raise much more concern opposed to speaking by UT St.

You would hope UT has control heading into the second half but if they have to press til the final horn to win by 7 its not the be all tell. With a young team you want to win the games you should even with subpar or inexperienced play. As the season goes along you expect that to change.

Honestly, if we lose the meltdown on here will (ALMOST) be worth watching. This is not Austin Peay. This is a solid team. The returners they have, while many were not starters, have played plenty of snaps. They have many more seniors and juniors than we do. This season is honestly a make or break season for them if you ask me. They are a mid major program with recent success, and they don't want to slip back into mediocrity like so many mid major programs do after a flash of success. They will come to play, they will come to win. I'm just glad Jones has mentioned them publicly so much, to know that we also will come to play, and come to win.

Its good to see plenty of posters arent taking them lightly. We WILL win this game. I have no doubts! A win is enough on a game like this though...and like another poster stated we need to come out of this game healthy. Cant wait GBO!

Yep this is not APSU they are going to come to Knoxville to play to win, and if we play sloppy they will win.

If we lose playing good sound fundamental football and doing everything right than it is an honest loss.

If we win playing good disciplined football then yes I will be ecstatic because it will be a sign things are starting to turn on the hill.

If we win playing bad fundamental football, will I be happy yes, will I be as happy NO it will mean USU was vastly over rated.

If we win playing bad fundamental football it will most certainly spell trouble for the rest of the season.

I am betting the Volunteer fans in Neyland on opening day cause at least 2 Utah State timeouts and 2 obvious miscommunication plays due to the noise level.

Every play counts and the best fanbase in the nation will cause 4 of them to go to $*** for the Aggies.

I would be happy with a win of any point differential but next year I will expect the Vols to start winning these games by large margins. In the coming years, these games will be automatic wins and there will be no debate or concern on whether or not they win, IMO.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win by a large margin.

:twocents:

VN Store

Back