After game thoughts

That may have been the ugliest half off offense we have played under Heupel, and to come out of there with a W is very fortunate. I feel it was also very important for the program to Win that game, no matter how ugly. If we had lost that game after being up by 7 at the half, and going against their fair at best passing back up QB, because of our offenses inability to score would have been really bad. There are still may concerns, but they are easier to take after the W.
It’s easy to second guess play calling, I thought it was ok but could have been better (esp outside screens in long situations where they lit up Hooker). But the main issue was lack of consistent execution, plays were there to be made many times and was a bad throw, dropped pass, missed block, etc..

The second half the D didn’t dominate but it did it’s job, albeit against a a backdrop up qb and half a quarter back up center.

Current thoughts and looking ahead:
- So far Hooker is not as accurate as he was last year, and that is hurting us some on offense.
- Although Tillman is putting up good stats,I think he either has 4 or 5 drops on the year in just 2 games, that’s not good.
- I think the O line is blocking slightly better in the run game this year and is also better in pass protection. Most the time when they got to Hooker it seemed they were bringing extra guys. Which goes back to the play calling comment, I think WR screens on pash rush downs are missing and passes to backs out of the back field.

Defense:
- I think the D is generating better pass rush, not where it needs to be but was better against Pitt. We blitzed though to get it, blitzed A lot…
- im still very concerned about our pass coverage against good passing teams, I feel well get lit up when we face one. We’re still weak covering the middle of the field, and the opposing WR completion percentage against #4 is bad

Marshall beat ND, Appy St gave A & M fits, Texas almost beat Bama, Kent St giving OU all it wants…. So all in all, you have to give the Vols credit for gutting it out and finding a way to win against a good team. Especially once it had reached the point of “what bad is going to happen on the next play”, and I was there for most the second half.
There’s A LOT to work on still, but now we’re set up for a HUGE game in a couple weeks against the Gators ( as long as we don’t have a world class goof up next week). There will more than likely be some type of game day crew there, whether it’s ESPN or the SEC network boys. The hype and atmosphere at Neyland will be no doubt be through the roof! It’s time to get this Gator monkey off our backs!!! Go Vols!!!
Road game may have had a lot to do with it. Frank I think our guys are too loose too. Maybe a little too confident.

That may have been the ugliest half off offense we have played under Heupel, and to come out of there with a W is very fortunate. I feel it was also very important for the program to Win that game, no matter how ugly. If we had lost that game after being up by 7 at the half, and going against their fair at best passing back up QB, because of our offenses inability to score would have been really bad. There are still may concerns, but they are easier to take after the W.
It’s easy to second guess play calling, I thought it was ok but could have been better (esp outside screens in long situations where they lit up Hooker). But the main issue was lack of consistent execution, plays were there to be made many times and was a bad throw, dropped pass, missed block, etc..

The second half the D didn’t dominate but it did it’s job, albeit against a a backdrop up qb and half a quarter back up center.

- So far Hooker is not as accurate as he was last year, and that is hurting us some on offense.
- Although Tillman is putting up good stats,I think he either has 4 or 5 drops on the year in just 2 games, that’s not good.
- I think the O line is blocking slightly better in the run game this year and is also better in pass protection. Most the time when they got to Hooker it seemed they were bringing extra guys. Which goes back to the play calling comment, I think WR screens on pash rush downs are missing and passes to backs out of the back field.

Defense:
- I think the D is generating better pass rush, not where it needs to be but was better against Pitt. We blitzed though to get it, blitzed A lot…
- im still very concerned about our pass coverage against good passing teams, I feel well get lit up when we face one. We’re still weak covering the middle of the field, and the opposing WR completion percentage against #4 is bad

Marshall beat ND, Appy St gave A & M fits, Texas almost beat Bama, Kent St giving OU all it wants…. So all in all, you have to give the Vols credit for gutting it out and finding a way to win against a good team. Especially once it had reached the point of “what bad is going to happen on the next play”, and I was there for most the second half.
There’s A LOT to work on still, but now we’re set up for a HUGE game in a couple weeks against the Gators ( as long as we don’t have a world class goof up next week). There will more than likely be some type of game day crew there, whether it’s ESPN or the SEC network boys. The hype and atmosphere at Neyland will be no doubt be through the roof! It’s time to get this Gator monkey off our backs!!! Go Vols!!!
It was an ugly game. Staff was poorly prepared so team was poorly prepared. Worst yet from CJH. A win is always good but this win felt like a loss. Felt like a Pruitt special. Hey, I’ll take a win any way we can get it, ugly or pretty.

Reactions: Peyton Berry
I still can’t understand why a good transfer running back could not have been found -Someone like Ty Chandler. The Clemson West Virginia washout was a long shot but there simply needs to be more competition and depth at RB. Maybe Sampson can get ready ASAP.
I keep saying we don’t have SEC caliber RBs. Prove me wrong. Do like Sampson. Unless coaching gets better 7-5 at best. AR will have a Heisman game against us, Kelly will have found a way to use LSU talent, Saban will get issues fixed at Bama, GA will crush us & Ky wins by 2 TDs. Am I wrong? Saw nothing yesterday that instilled confidence. First time I’ve questioned CJH ability to coach at this level. Looked liked a bad UCF team.

Reactions: Remy
Yesterday:
Offensively:
-- Lack of talent at running back hurts. They only get what the line gives them which is not much
-- Offensive line: very good in pass blocking, not so much in running plays
-- Velus Jones and Payton were better last year than what we thought
-- Pitt had Vols scouted well and threw some different looks that Hooker had a hard time reading
-- A lot of mental mistakes. Penalties, fumbles, lazy effort and missed assignments stopped every drive in the 2nd half
-- Hyatt had a decent game but not as physical as Jones with the ball
--WRs struggled some with press coverage which threw Hooker's timing off.
--Vols found a way, made a play (TD pass) in OT when needed

Defensively:
-- Lack of speed/talent in defensive backfield. One player in particular gets picked on a lot
-- Linebackers are just not fast or athletic enough, especially in pass coverage
-- DL played hard, making up for lack of size in some positions, lack of quickness in others
-- Coaches/players made some great adjustments with a blitz package and disguising coverages in the back end
-- Vols found a way, made a play in OT (sack) when needed.

Miscellaneous:
-- Ugly win but Pitt is physical and hardnosed on both sides of the ball. They make you grind to be successful
-- Good win. Pitt won the ACC Championship last year and had a lot returning starters. Well coached team.
-- Special teams made enough mistakes to lose the game. Ekler better heat up his chili quickly or we'll find another cook
-- Vols defense had to dig deep to pull this one out. Showed some mental toughness when needed.
-- Vols need help at RB, LB, and DB and need more overall speed and athleticism to get to where they want to be.

Feels great to be 2-0. This was the kind of the game, the Vols used to always win up until about 2008 or 09. Haven't been tough enough to win many of these since. Maybe the corner is being turned.....again.
So, at the end of the day where are we? Top 25? Conference? Would like to hear.

Why? Showed recruits we still don’t have enough 4* & 5* guys to compete. A lot of truth to that. Please Spire, bring the NIL quickly.
Believe it is Spyre. My bad. Doesn’t matter, just get the money in the McDonald’s bags. 20’s in non sequential #s will be fine. Just put it in the back of that bran new shiny black Cadillac Escalade. Where do I sign?

Defense:

Slovis did a great job against the blitz. He stood in the pocket and delivered even when he knew he'd get clobbered. I don't recall another game when we got so close to that many sacks and got burned by the QB. I don't think we have that same problem against UF if we get the same opportunities. AR15 is certain not to make the same plays that Slovis did under pressure.

Reactions: Peyton Berry
D is better, deeper. I thought the game plan was written on a cocktail napkin by CJH on the plane ride to Pitt. Apparently staff saw something in Pitt secondary that made them cautious to throw down field consistently. Still need an every down SEC RB. Hooker can’t keep focusing on Tillman every throw. Didn’t notice but was Hyatt effective yesterday? We need some guys to step up.
I think it was more a concern over Pitt's pass rush. In order to consistently throw deep, the QB has to have enough time in the pocket.

It was an ugly game. Staff was poorly prepared so team was poorly prepared. Worst yet from CJH. A win is always good but this win felt like a loss. Felt like a Pruitt special. Hey, I’ll take a win any way we can get it, ugly or pretty.
You continue to post this drivel dishing the staff. Can’t figure out if your just trying to get a response or your really that lost. Either way, welcome to my ignore list!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
This team won't beat UF playing the way it played today. Fact.

So whatever ails this team, they need to get it figured out ASAP. I'm beginning to question the abilities of our DC and DB coach. Yes, we're thin on the back half. But "thin" and "porous" are two different things. With a 25 minute offense, Heupel needs a 35 minute defense. We don't have one.

Go Vols.
This team will beat UF even if they play like they did against Pitt if UF plays like they did against Kentucky. Fortunately I think our problems are more solvable than the Gatas’ are.

BTW, Patti is a good back up QB. I'm not sure why so many of you are intent on cheapening this win because he played.

That’s a little generous in my opinion. He was 9-20 overall. He missed so many wide open throws making the Pitt OC aftaid to even call a pass unless he absolutely had to.

So Bama's win doesn't count since they knocked Ewers out of the game with the back up completing 64% of his throws?

I never said the win didn’t count. the comparison youre making isn’t even in the same realm, the Texas back up QB is much better than Patti plus was going against the #1 team in the nation.

The OL is better period. The RB's leave something to be desired right now. Small has probably developed himself to the extent of his talent... and needs to be the back up to a true #1. Wright is a better runner but has to take care of the ball. IMHO, one of the Fr may end the season as the #1 RB with or without injuries.

I totally agree. I think we see alot more of the freshmen as we get into the season

The officials let Pitt get away with a lot of hands on UT's WRs and particularly Tillman. The long pass just before the blocked punt couldn't have been a clearer case of interference. He grabbed Tillman's left arm when he was in the process of catching the ball. There were a couple of drops. Hooker was definitely off target several times. But Pitt played very physical in the secondary and should have gotten more penalties.

I agree, That defintely was a PI on Tillman. But over 2 games he has at least 4 clean drops (I wasnt counting that PI play as one), depend on how the stat them. He’s still a beast, but if he has caught the dropsies it could end up costing us a game. Was a good game from Hooker all in all, I guess he’s just set the bar so high last year I don’t expect him to miss as much as he has been.

Dude. What game were you watching? Pitt attempted around 48 passes. UT had 16 hurries and 4 sacks according to the info I found. ESPN said they impacted the passer 26 times. Pitt's OL may not be all that it was advertised before the season but they don't outright suck. They returned all 5 starters. UT got to them with blitzes but also with 4.

Ok, looking back at it I probably undersold the pressure they generated some. But I still felt like a huge percentage of those pressures was with the multiple blitzes we ran bring guys from elsewhere. I just don’t recall getting there much just from the front 4. Don’t get me wrong, I’d much rather get pressure even if we have to blitz, but it puts a lot of pressure on the secondary.

Maybe not after the UK loss.

Oh yeah man, it’s UT/Florida! Someone will be there and it’s gonna be hopping!!!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Im
Watching the game now I recorded it as my son had football and basketball yesterday. Tn definitely laying the wood when they get the chance. What a heck of a play by the Pitt tightend gotta give credit for that hurtle. Glad tn pulled it out and laid some wood.

This team won't beat UF playing the way it played today. Fact.

So whatever ails this team, they need to get it figured out ASAP. I'm beginning to question the abilities of our DC and DB coach. Yes, we're thin on the back half. But "thin" and "porous" are two different things. With a 25 minute offense, Heupel needs a 35 minute defense. We don't have one.

Go Vols.

Before the Pitt game and seeing UF v UK, I would have agreed with you. Not now. I think even if we did play like we did, we could beat UF. The defense is coming together. Who would have expected that kind of pass rush against a good Pitt OL? Now Richardson is a problem with his legs no doubt. But he cannot beat us with just his legs. Passing the ball? He isn’t very good.

My thoughts….Roman Harrison will be the defensive MVP on this team after this season is over.

Reactions: JRich
I've made a few post related to these observations over the summer. The offense was on fire most of the season last year and Hooker was playing lights out. There was very little room for improvement from the offense except in the running game. That leaves only one way to likely go.......down. That's not to say that they won't still be great. But realistically the offense taking a step back is the more likely outcome. The defense was terrible last season. The most likely thing was to see improvement from them because, let's be honest, they couldn't play much worse. The only question was how much they could improve in 1 year. The jury is still out. Our DB's do still look lost quite a bit and our run defense is still shaky. But we did see big signs of life against Pitt. In a big game they played big. They punished those QB's. I'm surprised Nardozzi didn't call the police on us. So at this point in the season, we don't really know what we have.

"Will the real Tennessee football team please stand up....."

Reactions: Remy
I think you saw a contrast of styles. UT'S up tempo versus Pitt's grind you, take the air out of the ball style.. Pitt's just tough and gritty. They're pretty good, they'd be middle of the road SEC imo. Tennessee needs a power run game at times which they don't have. We played their game and still won. Take it and move on. I don't think teams are going to let us tempo them to death. They're going lay on the ground and get extra timeouts. Everyone will do that. Tennessee has to find a way to grind on you when that happens.. They got some things to figure out because they're going to see that all year.

Reactions: memtownvol
Positives:
1. Heupel admitted after the game that the offense was trash, especially in the second half, so he should be able to improve it.
2. The defense broke two QB's. Don't know why it took so long to go man, but once they did Slovis' true suckyness was exposed.
3. Won a close game against a ranked opponent on the road (Woo Hoo!).

Negatives:
1. Team and staff did not seem prepared for this game, very pedestrian, and see point 2 above.
2. Hooker was throwing the ball everywhere except to the hands of the receiver, yikes.
3. Warren Burrell would struggle to cover my 12 year old nephew, and as good as Kamal Hadden is in coverage, he does not want anything to do with tackling anybody.

Narduzzi has a tough guy mentality and that would have gone against it.

I thought Hadden, Beasley and Baron had really good games. Young played fairly well, also. I saw Thomas make a play or two but overall our DTs were mostly non-existent. Running game is the worst I have seen in a while.

Thomas is too soft IMO. He's good at getting his hands up to deflect passes and he made a tackle when he went unblocked against Pitt. If someone is engaging him, he looks like he submits to just stand there real tall and buzz his feet. He's got to be better in my opinion and good enough to start getting double teams.

Defense:

I don't see why you want screens just because of the pass rush. If you tell me our receivers will be wide open and the QB will be slightly rushed I would say run the play based on past history. They were open, we could either not get them the ball or they dropped the pass. Just out of sync because of the rush but I would say the odds were in our favor to be up 14-0 instead of behind 10-0. Thats our offense we just need to get in sync.

Heupel’s play calling in the 2nd half of games has not improved. He HAS to get better. 29 yards of total offense in the 3rd quarter. How do we allow 3 turnovers, a blocked punt, a fumble on a run and fumbled punt return when we know they’re ripping at the ball trying for turnovers? Our defensive effort improved in that if we didn’t get a sack we were making hits, not late ones on their QBs. We were the better team, we dodged a bullet. Think not? If that 4th down pass by them in OT was slightly more accurate the receiver was wide open 4 yards in front of the end zone. We won one we could have easily lost, it’s a W, I’ll take it. This sort play we had can’t beat USCjr or UK this year. Heupel and staff need to get it together, special teams turned the ball over twice.

Reactions: mpfvol
So, at the end of the day where are we? Top 25? Conference? Would like to hear.

Right now, ranked about where they should be. The schedule is challenging and the road is long. Have to stay healthy, have to get some breaks, and play hard every week. Overall, the defense keeps this team from being much higher than 15th at the end of the year but the offense should have the Vols with a better bowl game and a top 25 ranking at the end of the year.

Vols need a lot of help at RB, LB, and DB to be considered a top 10 team or a threat to make it to Atlanta for the SECCG. Also, need more depth on the roster. Will take a couple of more recruiting classes to set the goals much higher than 7-5, 8-4.

Heupel’s play calling in the 2nd half of games has not improved. He HAS to get better. 29 yards of total offense in the 3rd quarter. How do we allow 3 turnovers, a blocked punt, a fumble on a run and fumbled punt return when we know they’re ripping at the ball trying for turnovers? Our defensive effort improved in that if we didn’t get a sack we were making hits, not late ones on their QBs. We were the better team, we dodged a bullet. Think not? If that 4th down pass by them in OT was slightly more accurate the receiver was wide open 4 yards in front of the end zone. We won one we could have easily lost, it’s a W, I’ll take it. This sort play we had can’t beat USCjr or UK this year. Heupel and staff need to get it together, special teams turned the ball over twice.
I don’t think it was playcalling. It was a lack of execution (overthrows, dropped passes) and being undisciplined (penalties, fumbles, muffled punts). I’ve not seen them have this many blunders since FL last season, so I’m really really hoping this game was a 1-off.

P.s. We’d beat USCjr with that sort of play

VN Store

Back