Aidoo to the portal confirmed

Some have posted he flirted with the portal last year. Barnes had to sit him more than once due to his no shows in some games. Now he's doing it again? Forget it. The tail doesn't wag the dog. If he's all about the money, I'll take my chances with our youth and the portal. Let him join a blue blood. Running from the front is easy. I think he'll for right in.

You're assuming a lot here. Let's just be cool to our athletes until we know the whole story. Pretty ****** for people to say something like this if the reality was Barnes told Aidoo he is upgrading.

Reactions: Lankykong
He chose to leave. No one forced him out. You have to move on and hope for better rim protection. He wasn't reliable enough to earn second half minutes in an Elite 8 matchup. If he doesn't want to play here, that opens the door for someone who does.

What does that have to do with anything I said? Do you expect me to act like a woman scorned? Is that your motivation in this?

I don't care about that. He can choose another school and I can still say we will miss his contribution if we don't replace him.

We only got to the elite 8 with him as the starter? He got dominated by one of the most dominant CBB players ever, and that's your argument against him? We just had the best season we've ever had, and he was a big part of it.

Before this season, we had avoided big blows in basketball transfer portal. Now we've experienced both sides with GETTING Knecht and LOSING Aidoo, Awaka, and co.

Donors are absolutely stupid to pony up money so that their favorite crazy program can bribe a prospect
to sign with the school. If the prospect doesn't pan out, the donor(s) will have wasted their money. If the prospect does become a good
college player, the donors also, in many cases, will have wasted their money as the player will then leave the program after a year or two in pursuit
of more money.

Beyond that, there is now an obvious and basic incompatibility between college and the college sports of football and basketball now. The NFL should create a development league and the NBA should expand its development leagues, so that all the promising players in both sports who have money on their minds can go straight into development leagues out of high school, get paid, and see how far their skills will take them. Go For It. Skip college and skip making a mockery of college, by using college and loose rules to turn go pro after a year--the one-and-done nonsense--or by taking money to sign with one school, and then leaving that school to accept abetter financial offer from another school a year later, and then yet another school after that. This is the problem we have now. Look at Calipari's program at Kentucky: Pull back the curtain and it's clear that the Kentucky one-and-done model was a joke: It didn't work; it wasted time and effort and money by the coaches and program on players who would be leaving after one season, and made a mockery of the academic side. What was the point: To excite delusional fans with another five-star class every year? It was foolish.

What does that have to do with anything I said? Do you expect me to act like a woman scorned? Is that your motivation in this?

I don't care about that. He can choose another school and I can still say we will miss his contribution if we don't replace him.

We only got to the elite 8 with him as the starter? He got dominated by one of the most dominant CBB players ever, and that's your argument against him? We just had the best season we've ever had, and he was a big part of it.
What is the motivation for the assumption that Barnes told Aidoo he is upgrading? Barnes hasn't been disloyal to his players. He gave them a cutoff to tell him their intentions. It would appear that Aidoo's was extended. And if Barnes is seeking an upgrade, it's for the good of the team and program--maybe an attempt to maintain loyalty to the fans. An upgrade is a positive, and Aidoo had the opportunity to become that upgrade.

Reactions: Native Orange
Donors are absolutely stupid to pony up money so that their favorite crazy program can bribe a prospect
to sign with the school. If the prospect doesn't pan out, the donor(s) will have wasted their money. If the prospect does become a good
college player, the donors also, in many cases, will have wasted their money as the player will then leave the program after a year or two in pursuit
of more money.

Beyond that, there is now an obvious and basic incompatibility between college and the college sports of football and basketball now. The NFL should create a development league and the NBA should expand its development leagues, so that all the promising players in both sports who have money on their minds can go straight into development leagues out of high school, get paid, and see how far their skills will take them. Go For It. Skip college and skip making a mockery of college, by using college and loose rules to turn go pro after a year--the one-and-done nonsense--or by taking money to sign with one school, and then leaving that school to accept abetter financial offer from another school a year later, and then yet another school after that. This is the problem we have now. Look at Calipari's program at Kentucky: Pull back the curtain and it's clear that the Kentucky one-and-done model was a joke: It didn't work; it wasted time and effort and money by the coaches and program on players who would be leaving after one season, and made a mockery of the academic side. What was the point: To excite delusional fans with another five-star class every year? It was foolish.

This was one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on thus site.

What is the motivation for the assumption that Barnes told Aidoo he is upgrading? Barnes hasn't been disloyal to his players. He gave them a cutoff to tell him their intentions. It would appear that Aidoo's was extended. And if Barnes is seeking an upgrade, it's for the good of the team and program--maybe an attempt to maintain loyalty to the fans. An upgrade is a positive, and Aidoo had the opportunity to become that upgrade.

I'm not assuming that. It was clearly a hypothetical. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. You were assuming something and denigrating him over it. I'm giving the kid a break saying, "we don't know."

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
If they can Google, they’ll see. But for the challenged youth, let’s try Chris Hemsworth. I ain’t going to look like him either!
Chris and I are practically twins! Well, except for the muscles, general good looks and money. Other than those things, no one can tell us apart.

Reactions: OldVolMan
of more money.

Why should they? The NBA tried to. Now they're pulling back because it wasn't working.

It sounds like you want a transformation of the system in the interest of saving boosters from wasting their $? Why? WTF cares about that?

I'm not assuming that. It was clearly a hypothetical. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. You were assuming something and denigrating him over it. I'm giving the kid a break saying, "we don't know."
What am I assuming? That he is not the best rim protector out there? That there might be someone out there better than he? Yeah and that's not denigrating, that is just a fair assessment.

He chose to leave. He doesn't want to play for Tennessee any longer. He doesn't want you as a fan any longer. I hope we upgrade because I am still pulling for Tennessee. He chose to leave. Go Big Orange!

Reactions: LibertyVolance
I agree losing Aidoo is big. If people can't see that, not sure what games they were watching.

But we really don't know what Estrella is capable of imo. He played limited minutes on a veteran team that had an established offensive identiy. I think he may surprise us with what he can do as a scorer..
I agree on JP. Everyone seems to forget he was a true freshman who was getting his first taste of real competition. He is going to get stronger and I think he showed as much as Aidoo did as a freshman. Looking forward to watching his growth. The caveat is that we have to keep him if he shows too much “growth”! No guarantees of that these days.

Reactions: Stoked
Aidoo was kicked to the curb by Kansas, UNC, MSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, USC, TAM, and Purdue twice. Any team with a strong center. Additionally, he can't catch the inbound due to weak hands and is useless outside of 3ft range. Takes up space, alters some shots and has limited success against weaker centers like himself. He was my first choice for replacement. Its clear to make the final 4 you need a strong consistent presence in the middle.

Everyone has a take on NIL. Either good or bad or in the middle. But not sure anyone expected NIL to have the effect it’s gonna have on being a fan. As a fan you get attached to players and hope to see them develop for several years. Those days appear to be gone. As it’s been said it is now free agency for these kids. I don’t say that I can blame them. This is part of the free market system. Get what your worth. We are fooling ourselves to say we wouldn’t do the same given the chance. As fans that’s hard to see because we love a particular school. These kids are being given a chance to change their life financially. Fans will have to learn to be fans in a different way. Just my take.

This will be better for Aidoo and for UT. He wasn't improving with experience and had reached his ceiling at this level of competition. He has needed to add weight, muscle, and aggressiveness since his freshman year. After 3 years, you would think he would have developed more consistency than he has. He had moments of promise and hopefully he finds a new school where he can have more.

Some have posted he flirted with the portal last year. Barnes had to sit him more than once due to his no shows in some games. Now he's doing it again? Forget it. The tail doesn't wag the dog. If he's all about the money, I'll take my chances with our youth and the portal. Let him join a blue blood. Running from the front is easy. I think he'll for right in.
Last year he had OK and Plav ahead of him. He was splitting time and probably deserved more. He performed reall well for us this past season. He had a few off games, but it was onky against guys taller than him, which is only a handful of guys. Everyone else, he did well in his matchups.

I agree losing Aidoo is big. If people can't see that, not sure what games they were watching.

But we really don't know what Estrella is capable of imo. He played limited minutes on a veteran team that had an established offensive identiy. I think he may surprise us with what he can do as a scorer..
I saw enough possessions of JP being lost and unsure of where to position himself for me to have low expectations. Sure, theoretically he could suprise. But I wouldn't make any decisions based on hope. Maybe he can fight his way into that backup role, but I think we are in trouble if he is starting or even competing for the role. We need someone with clear history of performance and will be the undisputed starter.

I saw enough possessions of JP being lost and unsure of where to position himself for me to have low expectations. Sure, theoretically he could suprise. But I wouldn't make any decisions based on hope. Maybe he can fight his way into that backup role, but I think we are in trouble if he is starting or even competing for the role. We need someone with clear history of performance and will be the undisputed starter.
Respect your opinion but is my understanding the coaching staff is pretty high on his potential

VN Store

Back