Alabama football: At least five players have reportedly tested positive for the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
And blind pessimism has cost us billions in wealth and will kill far more people than the virus.

No. It will end up being far more harmful.

Actually, a guy from Germany suggested that we quarantine the old and vulnerable then have the rest go about their business as herd immunity developed. He estimated that herd immunity would be developed within 4 months allowing the old and vulnerable to safely enter society. Unlike the social distancing and shutdown which have never been subject to trial or clinical study... his suggestion was based on the history of viruses and herd immunity cultivation.

You act like businesses closed by choice.

"Regardless of politics"? What world are you living in? This was a political narrative that got out of control from the very start. VERY political bureaucrats have been making all the decisions. Politics caused CDC and others to withhold important information... particularly demographic information that could have helped us all make important decisions to protect vulnerable people.

Lol. RIP straw man. We hardly knew ye.

The only reason this ever got political, is that somebody MADE it political. There’s nothing inherently political about a virus and considering that pretty much all the governors did the same thing regardless of party there didn’t need to be division. And yet there is.

I’m going to let you just keep playing revisionist historian. It seems to make you happy and there’s really no reason for it to impact me. Best of luck.

Yeah, it’s apparent now that there will be a college football season in 2020. There could be some scheduling tweaks, e.g. teams may have to postpone or even forfeit games if they have numerous active cases, and some West Coast schools may have to cancel games basically for political reasons.

Sure, fan attendance protocols still have to be worked out. But, games will be played.. at least 90% of them.

Students and student-athletes need to resume their lives. Don’t hold all students back to protect a very small portion of people involved with college programs who are elderly or have co-morbidity issues. Nick Saban and Mack Brown, you boys do you!!

Reactions: preacherwebb
Yeah, it’s apparent now that there will be a college football season in 2020. There could be some scheduling tweaks, e.g. teams may have to postpone or even forfeit games if they have numerous active cases, and some West Coast schools may have to cancel games basically for political reasons.

Sure, fan attendance protocols still have to be worked out. But, games will be played.. at least 90% of them.

Students and student-athletes need to resume their lives. Don’t hold all students back to protect a very small portion of people involved with college programs who are elderly or have co-morbidity issues. Nick Saban and Mack Brown, you boys do you!!
Your assumptions may be too optimistic. There seems to be some talk about a shortened season due to trying to get students off campus by Thanksgiving and colder weather with perceived higher risks of a second wave of COVID19. A shorter season would make postponement of games improbable. More likely those games will be forfeits. As for fans I don’t see more than 10% attendance if at all under current guidelines. The revenue from that percentage of fans in most stadiums wouldn’t be worth the expense especially in non conference games against cupcakes. COVID19 social distancing guidelines will have to be greatly relaxed to allow more than 10% attendance. How many people would even want to attend a game if they are required to wear a mask when it’s 90 degrees or higher in late August? The only ones that work just about smother the wearer. I’m all for playing but I wonder in the end what kind of product we’ll see on the field from an entertainment standpoint. What happens if Florida goes undefeated but 3 of their wins were forfeits by teams not able to play.? Big asterisk by that record.

Your assumptions may be too optimistic. There seems to be some talk about a shortened season due to trying to get students off campus by Thanksgiving and colder weather with perceived higher risks of a second wave of COVID19. A shorter season would make postponement of games improbable. More likely those games will be forfeits. As for fans I don’t see more than 10% attendance if at all under current guidelines. The revenue from that percentage of fans in most stadiums wouldn’t be worth the expense especially in non conference games against cupcakes. COVID19 social distancing guidelines will have to be greatly relaxed to allow more than 10% attendance. How many people would even want to attend a game if they are required to wear a mask when it’s 90 degrees or higher in late August? The only ones that work just about smother the wearer. I’m all for playing but I wonder in the end what kind of product we’ll see on the field from an entertainment standpoint. What happens if Florida goes undefeated but 3 of their wins were forfeits by teams not able to play.? Big asterisk by that record.

Asterisk is already there even if every game is played.

Eastern Washington
South Alabama
New Mexico State

But if there is an asterisk added, will they have to pay a royalty to the Patriots?

Just to be clear, the WHO statement is about people who are truly asymptomatic - those who have no symptoms throughout the course of their illness. People are pre-symptomatic - those who are ill but haven’t yet developed visible symptoms - are considered contagious to others.

Researchers believe very few people are truly asymptomatic. But people with a very mild course of the disease may have considered themselves asymptomatic when they actually weren’t.

The WHO statement is very easy to misunderstand/mischaracterize.

Is this Nancy Pelosi? Spare us the illogical scare tactics.

Reactions: Smellvin
No straw man involved. The facts just don't line up with the narrative... and never have.

The only reason this ever got political, is that somebody MADE it political. There’s nothing inherently political about a virus and considering that pretty much all the governors did the same thing regardless of party there didn’t need to be division. And yet there is.
Of course someone made it political. The MSM saw a chance to hammer Trump so they blamed him and hysterically warned people about millions dying from the next great plague. FNC and others jumped in and shifted blame but continued with the narrative based on really, really poor and unscientific projections given by Fauci and others.

We can either look at the facts and recognize that there was a political, hysteria driven response that we now need to correct... or we can continue in fear based on almost nothing. We have data to know who is vulnerable. The plan at this point should be to give those facts out so that we can protect ourselves or others who may be vulnerable without doing idiotic stuff like requiring healthy people to wear masks in wide opens spaces.

I’m going to let you just keep playing revisionist historian. It seems to make you happy and there’s really no reason for it to impact me. Best of luck.
You don't want to deal with facts but rather hand wave them away? That's fine. Hopefully others are open-minded enough to benefit.

When a public health crisis becomes this divisive in our nation, something is seriously wrong. History has shown us extreme polarization favors the rise of autocratic leaders. Once in power, they continue to sew seeds of division in effort to retain power. It's ultimately up to the people to push back on autocracy and return the country to basic civility, humanity, and respect. We will see which path we chose.

It'll be interesting what people's opinions are like when the first top tier football player dies of Covid.

When a public health crisis becomes this divisive in our nation, something is seriously wrong. History has shown us extreme polarization favors the rise of autocratic leaders. Once in power, they continue to sew seeds of division in effort to retain power. It's ultimately up to the people to push back on autocracy and return the country to basic civility, humanity, and respect. We will see which path we chose.
I thought the purpose of Twitter, Facebook, etc. was to make everything political.

Can anyone name anything that isn't politicized?

It'll be interesting what people's opinions are like when the first top tier football player dies of Covid.
Seems like every year there is a top tier player that drowns or shot while visiting home. SHould we stop them from swimming or going home to dangerous environments?
If a player dies or even loses his career to Covid, there wil be sadness....these athletes put their health at risk every day for the game, to most if not all Covid is just another risk.

Seems like every year there is a top tier player that drowns or shot while visiting home. SHould we stop them from swimming or going home to dangerous environments?
If a player dies or even loses his career to Covid, there wil be sadness....these athletes put their health at risk every day for the game, to most if not all Covid is just another risk.

That's not a good argument at all. Your best argument is that the chances of a young, healthy athlete to die of Covid-19 is very, very low. There, I gave it to you.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
It will be complete bewildering . Kind of like if a player was struck by lightning and died as a result. That’s the likelihood of a healthy college age kid dying from COVID 19.

I totally agree with your assertion about the likelihood. However, you don't see games being played or practices in the lightning because it can still happen, and it's a huge liability to not prevent it.

This ends up being a great analogy. You don't go play in a storm when it's lightning, and similarly, you have to be careful playing with players who have recently tested positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back