Alabama

My bookie said $1.37 was bet on just that thing

Coach in my younger years I was a collector for a bookie.....I had just got out of the service and needed something to do...It was a blast. I collected mostly from people that bet with their hearts..

My employer told me to only bet as if a gun was placed against my head and my life depended on it....Saw the games with different eyes after that talk.

I read that Ala. made 5 three pointers in the 4th qtr. How often will they do that out of 10 times?
Defense really broke down in that quarter and they were getting open looks a lot more than they got in the first three quarters. That was hugely on us but a credit to them that they could make them even if unguarded.

She has hit four like that to either win a game or end a quarter or half and they all look the same.
Gee VF012 I didn't mean to ruffle your Davis feathers. May all her rainbow and prayer shots fall for her and the lady Vols her entire Big Orange career.

Last edited:
If Stricklin had made that shot from that distance would you fans who remember think it was an unusual shot?

The LVs have a coach who met the press with both reality and rye responses. I would like to tell you I drew up the play and instructed Davis to run the clock down before she shot.. and then reframed a sequence that coulda, shoulda, outta, been a more mature ending with I'm glad we got the win and we did some things well.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I would like to see how many would like to place a wager with Alabama Coach Curry- after game she said Davis could take take 10 of those shots like last nights winner and not make one. I think we could make a lot of money on that bet. Kind a dumb comment to make

It's the "Steph Curry effect" that has permeated throughout basketball at all levels which I loathe. You're down one. Mathematically, you only need a two pointer to win. Does your best player penetrate to the paint and elevate to create a higher percentage shot (as she can do at will)? Does she drive and try to draw the foul? Nope, let's play hero ball and jack up a crazy, unnecessary three for the dramatic win. That way we win by TWO and get on Sportscenter. Win-win. When it works, like last night, it's totally worth the 80%+ of the time it doesn't.

And I'm not just picking on Davis, this goes on all the time now since Curry elevated to basketball royalty...

It's the "Steph Curry effect" that has permeated throughout basketball at all levels which I loathe. You're down one. Mathematically, you only need a two pointer to win. Does your best player penetrate to the paint and elevate to create a higher percentage shot (as she can do at will)? Does she drive and try to draw the foul? Nope, let's play hero ball and jack up a crazy, unnecessary three for the dramatic win. That way we win by TWO and get on Sportscenter. Win-win. When it works, like last night, it's totally worth the 80%+ of the time it doesn't.

And I'm not just picking on Davis, this goes on all the time now since Curry elevated to basketball royalty...

On this I am totally in your corner

Coach in my younger years I was a collector for a bookie.....I had just got out of the service and needed something to do...It was a blast. I collected mostly from people that bet with their hearts..

My employer told me to only bet as if a gun was placed against my head and my life depended on it....Saw the games with different eyes after that talk.
So did you break any legs when you went collecting for the bookie?:D

Joe Pesci Goodfellas.PNG

I think more desperation effect. Bama had clogged the lane and there was no entry pass to the post. Rennia only found space on the perimeter and almost lost the ball (which cost precious seconds) and she was hit with a double team. So, she retreated (I thought, oh, well...) and then did what she did. I would bet money Kellie and staff were looking for a higher % shot and that Rennia would have preferred an open 10 footer or a lay-up. But, Steph has shown that such shots are possible...

Last edited:
So did you break any legs when you went collecting for the bookie?:D

View attachment 255660

Didn't break any legs, but I did do what was necessary to get the money they owed my employer.....If you break a guys leg, he can't work, and if he can't work, he won't have any money to bet...It was a real catch 22....

The best way to get a guy to pay was to show up at his work, that worked almost every time...If you show up at the guys house and he's married, you get the money, but he won't place future bets with us, because his wife is all over him about gambling...

The secret of "collecting" was to get their money and encourage them to come and bet again....These degenerates wanted to give their money away by betting with their hearts, not with logic...It's a vicious circle for the degenerates, the more they win, the more they will lose in the future. It was a sure thing.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I think more desperation effect. Bama had clogged the lane and there was no entry pass to the post. Rennia only found space on the perimeter and almost lost the ball (which cost precious seconds) and she was hit with a double team. So, she retreated (I thought, oh, well...) and then did what she did. I would bet money Kellie and staff were looking for a higher % shot and that Rennia would have preferred an open 10 footer or a lay-up. But, Steph has shown that such shots are possible...

Mad, Lou was wide open for a 2 or a 3 ball...If Davis had not got double teamed and had to retreat a bit, perhaps she was going to pass to Lou.

In any event, it was a hell of an ending.

PS, I'm fairly certain Coach Brown had a few one on one film sessions today with our players.

Mad, Lou was wide open for a 2 or a 3 ball...If Davis had not got double teamed and had to retreat a bit, perhaps she was going to pass to Lou.

PS, I'm fairly certain Coach Brown had a few one on one film sessions today with our players.

Can Al Brown have off the court instructional contact with players? I thought all he is allowed to do is advise coaches.

Reactions: KrazyVolFan

I am not so sure. I just watched the clip of the play. When Brown popped "open" had to defenders in her face, which would made for a tough and Bama had player lurking in the passing lane. The LVs had tried to pass in that situation all game long as our befuddled community has noted, the result was turnovers.

Davis read the play correctly. Better to take a low probability shot at the buzzer, than throw an errant pass (with no time for recovery) or making a TO.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I would like to see how many would like to place a wager with Alabama Coach Curry- after game she said Davis could take take 10 of those shots like last nights winner and not make one. I think we could make a lot of money on that bet. Kind a dumb comment to make

Seeing Red Curry!

On the preceding play, it looked like Rae was headed to the basket. Then Alabama used a foul, and Tennessee had to inbound again. Time was running down to 9 seconds and less. When Rennia got the ball, she was a long way from the basket. I don’t know how many choices she really had at that point. I don’t think she did what she did to make a hero play, I just think she truly was a hero.

On the preceding play, it looked like Rae was headed to the basket. Then Alabama used a foul, and Tennessee had to inbound again. Time was running down to 9 seconds and less. When Rennia got the ball, she was a long way from the basket. I don’t know how many choices she really had at that point. I don’t think she did what she did to make a hero play, I just think she truly was a hero.

Nah, forget the winning basket. How dare she have the audacity to hit a spectacular game winner :)

Rennia's "horrible" game winning play aside, I am not sure how Bama was blocking so many of the LV's shots. We had length on them at almost all positions.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back