All things STOCKS

Semis are transitioning right now. The Inflation Reduction Act has incentivized investment in US based production facilities. INTC has a solid LT plan taking advantage of that, but of course they’ve stumbled a bit in the ST.

NVDA and, I think, AMD are selling everything tgat they can produce and they have multi-year backlogs.

AAPL is exploring more production options in other parts of Asia while becoming less reliant on China. But they would sure like to sell to Chinese consumers.

ASML is my favorite semi company. I do like to buy in round lots of 100 shares. But that’s a big bite at $850/share.
Any advantage to 100 share lots?
I always look at approximate $ amount I want to invest without buying fractional shares.
BRK-b($405), REGN($896) and COST($709) are three of my largest holdings. Even if I bought 100 shares to begin with I have typical added 5-10 shares on dips. I also reinvest dividends for some stocks which means I own fractional shares. I only sell the fractional shares when liquidating a posistion. I put in a sell order for all whole shares and any remaining fractional shares are also sold.

Yes. If you don't get greedy about it....ASML has quite a moat.

Like AAPL, more and more companies are trying to make their own chips. I really liked that sector 3-4 years ago when demand was far exceeding supply.

Read somewhere recently that Elon said he was no longer having any issues getting chips. And, if I recall correctly, they were replacing some of the NVDA hardware in Telsa with in-house material. Of course, Elon tends to fib about many topics.

AAPL is a really interesting business. Their revenue mix is what? 50% plus coming from iPhones? Are they primarily a tech company or a consumer company? They’re not really a software company, but iOS is really good.

Will their services grow revenue substantially? Can they draw consumers in from their iPhone base to be monthly paying subscribers? Cloud storage integrated with their hardware? Music? Video?

Will they always be able to charge a premium price for their hardware?

I started transitioning to Apple from MSFT/Samsung/Windows about 4 years ago and doubt I’ll ever go back. TurboTax and TaxAct kept me on a Dell laptop. Now I’m using TaxSlayer and really like it. The Apple devices work well with it.

I have similar thoughts about Amazon. Apple and AMZN might be the new rich widow holdings that used to be AT&T, Coca-Cola, and McDonald’s a generation or 2 ago.

Any advantage to 100 share lots?
I always look at approximate $ amount I want to invest without buying fractional shares.
BRK-b($405), REGN($896) and COST($709) are three of my largest holdings. Even if I bought 100 shares to begin with I have typical added 5-10 shares on dips. I also reinvest dividends for some stocks which means I own fractional shares. I only sell the fractional shares when liquidating a posistion. I put in a sell order for all whole shares and the remaining fractional shares are also sold.

Option trading has to be in round lots of 100 shares per contract. Otherwise, with pretty much instantaneous, zero commission trading platforms that even offer fractional shares on many listings - not really.

I typically sell put options to open positions. But I’m not convinced that’s the best strategy unless there’s little volatility. I’ve missed some run ups in equities, but on the other hand I get a little bit of a discount if I’m assigned shares that are falling in value. Stop loss orders might work better - I’ve never used them.

Selling shares is a difficult decision. I’d rather sell covered call options if I’m on the fence about selling the underlying shares.

Congrats if you bought NVDA on Friday.

My coconuts weren't big enough to jump in there. Unsure how to get my arms around AI.

Congrats if you bought NVDA on Friday.

My coconuts weren't big enough to jump in there. Unsure how to get my arms around AI.

Think of NVDA ala US Steel during the Industrial Revolution. They are the backbone of what our future economy is built upon and have already proven they can handle it. Buy it. Same with TSM imo.

The real question comes down to who will provide the software that really defines the AI age. To me, that is still up in the air. AMZN and META are off to a good start.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
My McDonalds stock is tanking

2.4% yield. But 23x p/e.

They own the best commercial real estate in the US.

McDonald's Is Maintained at Overweight by Morgan Stanley

DJ McDonald's Price Target Cut to $320.00/Share From $327.00 by Morgan Stanley

Dow Jones Newswires

April 12, 2024 13:20 ET (17:20 GMT)

Reactions: Granola
2.4% yield. But 23x p/e.

They own the best commercial real estate in the US.

McDonald's Is Maintained at Overweight by Morgan Stanley

DJ McDonald's Price Target Cut to $320.00/Share From $327.00 by Morgan Stanley

Dow Jones Newswires

April 12, 2024 13:20 ET (17:20 GMT)
Thanks for the great info. I’m holding despite the downturn. Solid advice

Listened to a technical analysis saying that this week is an inflection point and the market will either resume its selloff, or bounce up and touch on new highs.

Very helpful guidance.

1714323622155.png

Last edited:
NVDA was a story on 60 Minutes tonight.

The robots will be overtaking humanity soon.

1714349524609.png

On a personal level, I sure wish the AI drug development capabilities would speed along more effective treatments for autoimmune conditions.

It's frustrating taking $$$$ drugs that don't help much, or help for a while, then lose their effectiveness.

Unfortunately I bought into a couple ARKs back when it was near the peak. I still have them, hoping their fortunes might someday improve at least somewhat.

Hearing nonsense like this nudges me towards taking my loss and moving on.

What is she talking about? Even if they rolled out a robotaxi this year it would not generate that kind of revenue in her time frame.

Unfortunately I bought into a couple ARKs back when it was near the peak. I still have them, hoping their fortunes might someday improve at least somewhat.

What is she talking about? Even if they rolled out a robotaxi this year it would not generate that kind of revenue in her time frame.

The video began playing with no audio, as is normal for Xitter links. I don't know why, but the no-audio Cathie Wood's crazy eyes and toothy countenance gave me some peak Gary Busey vibes.

1714352737585.png 1714352786954.png

She didn’t say robo taxis were going to take the lion’s share of the revenue. She said that it would likely “scale” the most in the next 5-10 years. The current robo taxi industry revenue is currently zero.

I think that 10+ years is more realistic. Around 1978 Compact Discs were expected to make other platforms obsolete in a year or 2. It was closer to 10 years - but the intellectual property litigation was probably what slowed it down rather than the technology.

She is saying that Tesla will be the dominant robo taxi platform as part of their AI business model and they will take the lion’s share of the total AI revenue.

I’ve held a little ARKF, ARKG, ARKK, and ARKW since Q1/Q2 2022. Only ARKW has a gain. I’m holding (I’m patient to a fault). IMO those ETFs will double or triple in the next bull market. They hold a lot of small cap names and I think they’ll be rotated into as the Mag 7 money looks for other options.

I’ve never heard of most of the holdings and they have crazy P/E ratios. But it’s a way to get exposure without spending countless hours researching the individual names. Of course, much of her success came from being overweight TSLA.

VN Store

Back