Are we struggling or just getting everyone’s best?

Huge improvement on the defense later into the 2nd half but they made some crazy late shots.
As good as Williams played, the rest of the team was just plain bad. Admiral looks ill.
If you leave guys wide open and they get hot they tend to stay hot even if you start putting a hand in their face.

When you’re Number 1, everybody comes at you with both barrels. We are misfiring a little right now, but I would rather work the kinks out now and get back to hitting on all cylinders come tournament time!

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
We’re so good we show up and score a lot of points every night. But some nights it all clicks for us and we play great defensively also. But no doubt...we’ve played some really inspired opponents of late. Fl, bama, and vandy all hit huge shot after huge shot down the stretch.

Pons wants to block shots into the rafters..leaves his man wide open for 3’s. Add the fact that Cinderella’s are living by the 3 then dying by them in the end...it is like NBA2K on rookie mode making every 3 even with someone in their face.

But last night was more on Schofield’s performance. He was in a slump and played aggravated. If he was on at 1/2-3/4% vs nothing last night we win by 10-15 points easy.

My little two cents worth is "Welcome to #1, UT." The bad part is other teams...all of 'em...are going to put every ounce of effort and game planning, etc. into beating whoever's currently Goliath. For now...that's our guys. The good part? Getting every team's best game-after-game will better prepare these young men for the madness of March. Is being #1 a curse or is it a blessing? Either choice has merit, but I'd say it's a blessing. GBO!

We’ve had a tendency of late of trying to double and triple team the ball handler at or near half court which is leaving guys open around the basket. Gotta back off on that a bit.

We have a ton of haters right now. Everyone calling us overrated. Even the best teams have close games and typically lose a game or two they shouldn’t lose. Not sure why it’s a big deal whenever we have a few bad games and still win

I think Pons is hurting us defensively. He gives too much help inside trying to get a block and leaves his man over and over for an open 3.

He's a very good on ball defender. Maybe our best, it's the reason he starts. He is being asked to do a lot against the offensive set that Bama and Vandy ran. As they set that high screen for the pick and roll, he has to adjust down to cover the roll. Because the screen is high, there is a ton of space for the extra pass kick out to the guy he just left. However, when we were pulling that screen down a bit to tighten up the middle, they were getting a lot of step backs off the same play.

He might should have just started staying on the shooter as hot as they were, and hoping someone else could get to the roll...but both Bama and Vandy had our number at certain points. Barnes adjustments to the 3/4 pressure and changing up the switch seemed to help, but when you have basically everything falling for your opponent....it's a tough match up.

Things should be easier against WVU...I expect Grant, Kyle and Admiral to have a field day inside, and they don't really have the shooters to beat us. We have looked pretty good against the press, though this year's WVU team doesn't seem to be using it as much as last year. Of course, we are going to get their best game, no question. They are not a tournament team at this point. KenPom has them at 88, worse than Memphis, Missouri, GT, Arkansas, Bama, Florida, Louisville, and Gonzaga, all of whom we have already defeated this season. Vanderbilt is 100, and they almost got us, so there is that, stats aren't everything. However, this should he about our 9th hardest game so far, and we are playing in Knoxville. Hopefully the B12/SEC Challenge means something to the boys after the whipping they put on Iowa St last year on the road, and they can help lead the SEC to another win.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Maybe so. But the last 2 games, we have come out firing opening a good lead until substitutions and Fulky enters the game. Then the opening momentum is suddenly lost. I don't see what he gives us because his height doesn't result in rebounds. He's out of position for RBs. I don't see any assists tonight. He chips in an avg 4 ppg, but he' the clumsiest guy on the court. Walker or Johnson might be a better fit off the bench. But I assume there's a reason for his minutes.
This has been discussed ad nauseum...if you don't see the value Fulkerson brings to the game then your not seeing what I see and you must know basketball better than CRB.

Fulk knows his role on this team and fulfills it and imo, Bowden is the best on ball defender

We are going to get everyone’s best. We also need to play a complete game for 40 minutes.

VN Store

Back