At what point do we start talking buyout?

I’ve been around a long, long time and have never heard of the 0-9 rule.

Anyone care to share where such rule is outlined?

Not in the middle of year 2. Guy just got a raise. Every smart AD evaluates after the year is complete. Let's see what the record is and what kind of class he can assemble then maybe think about it.

I’ve been around a long, long time and have never heard of the 0-9 rule.

Anyone care to share where such rule is outlined?
It essentially is claims if a coach went 0-9 against Georgia, Florida, and Bama in their first three years then they would fail at Tennessee. It got a lot traction after Fulmer started saying coaches at Tennessee will be judged based on how they perform against the Big Three.

Reactions: OptimisticFan
Heupel has exceeded expectations in every measurable way, and we are seeing a lot of signs that statistically point to him being an elite level coach. We could be currently seeing the “year 2 jump” which elite coaches usually display at their programs, and Heupel has already taken care of the “0-9 rule” by beating Florida this year. With all that being said, I’ve seen many Vol fans calling for him to get a raise (I agree on this point) and a few calling for a very hefty buyout to be added to his contract. Is it too early to be talking about that? If so, what will he have to do for us to get to that point? I know every Tennessee fan in their right mind is sold on Heupel, but after the last decade I just don’t know about locking him in with an absurd buyout yet — especially given how unpredictable our sport is. What are your thoughts?
Get your head out of your a$$

Reactions: OptimisticFan
He and the assistants just signed raises, extensions and new buyout. You want to do that again just a couple months later?

If the performance warrants it…absolutely. Especially given how far we are down the salary list. We are not paying like a legit football school.

CJH is currently the 11th highest-paid coach in the SEC. I think he loves TN and this fan base, but come on, we have to pay the man. Don't disrespect the man by not giving him a pay raise because he got a raise last year.

Heupel has exceeded expectations in every measurable way, and we are seeing a lot of signs that statistically point to him being an elite level coach. We could be currently seeing the “year 2 jump” which elite coaches usually display at their programs, and Heupel has already taken care of the “0-9 rule” by beating Florida this year. With all that being said, I’ve seen many Vol fans calling for him to get a raise (I agree on this point) and a few calling for a very hefty buyout to be added to his contract. Is it too early to be talking about that? If so, what will he have to do for us to get to that point? I know every Tennessee fan in their right mind is sold on Heupel, but after the last decade I just don’t know about locking him in with an absurd buyout yet — especially given how unpredictable our sport is. What are your thoughts?

I believe for the first time in about 15 years that we can be an elite program again, so yes, I've bought in. I trust that White has a great rapport with Heupel and that he loves it here, so I'm going to just "Trust the Process", to coin a phrase from my NBA team, the Sixers.

Literally what did I say that even made you I was nervous or apprehensive in any way about this situation? I swear some of y’all are overly-confrontational for no reason at all
Sorry you took it that way. Your post has the “we’re going to lose our coach” paranoia all over it. I can’t imagine thinking about anything you right now except BEAT BAMA.

CJH is currently the 11th highest-paid coach in the SEC. I think he loves TN and this fan base, but come on, we have to pay the man. Don't disrespect the man by not giving him a pay raise because he got a raise last year.

We should never pay any coach, even a new one, 11th best in the SEC. Are we pretenders or contenders?

I don’t think he will. The only other program that even seems like a possibility appears to be Oklahoma, and as long as Bob Stoops remains involved in that athletic department they won’t come calling. Regardless, if the success continues, UT needs to be proactive in preventing any unforeseen things from happening.

I hear from people close to OU that he doesn't communicate with the program at all. They was going to do a reunion thing for the NC and he didn't want to go.

Background is my grandfather is a 30 year booster for OU and donates AC units for the sports program buildings.

My grandfather says he fell on the sword and it seems like he is done with OU.

Who knows really though...

Sorry you took it that way. Your post has the “we’re going to lose our coach” paranoia all over it. I can’t imagine thinking about anything you right now except BEAT BAMA.
I don’t think Heupel will leave, but being proactive is how you ensure elite coaches last a long time about their destinations. I doubt Oklahoma fans expected Riley to bolt or Notre Dame fans expected Kelly to. Bottom line is sometimes this stuff could happen, and I think we can talk about the contract that JH deserves (and one that would lock him in) on a Sunday after a big win. I’m excited for the Alabama game, but at the end of the day I’m a fan. What I talk about has no baring on the outcome of the game.

Reactions: EZE
If he beats Bama pay him! If you don’t think A&M comes calling if he beats Bama with the 18th ranked composite and their 100 million $ man can’t with the 4th you are crazy! 10-2 and Heupel is unanimous coach of the year and could easily get to the 10 mil range

Last edited:
I hear from people close to OU that he doesn't communicate with the program at all. They was going to do a reunion thing for the NC and he didn't want to go.

Background is my grandfather is a 30 year booster for OU and donates AC units for the sports program buildings.

My grandfather says he fell on the sword and it seems like he is done with OU.

Who knows really though...

Bob Stoops coached Oklahoma to a win in the Alamo Bowl last year.

VN Store

Back