Atlanta Braves

I'm probbly almost as rabid about the Braves as I am the Vols. Who are we going to get to play the corner outfield spots.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jan 7, 2005 10:36 PM
Chipper Jones is SO cute!!

:good:

Unfortunately unless you are a Hooter's waitress or a dip can, you probably don't have much of a chance with him.

Well, since I'm neither AND I'm married, I wasn't hoping for a chance.

;)

There has been some talk on the Braves ESPN board about trading Hampton for Sammy Sosa but i don't think the Cubs will want to pay the majority of Sosa's salary next year. The Braves have about $8 MIL in self imposed cap room left to spend. I don't know many .300avg 30 HR guys they can get with that. Jeromy Burnitz and Cliff Floyd have some pop but their glove work leaves a little to be desired. Magglio Ordonez is a FA but his health is an issue and i think Scott Boras is his agent so he won't come cheap. Unless they trade for somebody its looking like Ryan Langerhans(.302av 21hr at Richmond) Billy McCarthy(.354av 6hr in 56 games at Richmond) and Andy Marte(.267av 23hr at Greenville) will fight it out. Marte has been playing 3rd and is reguarded by some as the best 3rd base prospect in baseball but I don't see Chipper moving back to the OF so they will have to tech him how to play OF. I guess it's a matter of how fast he learns the position as to if he will be in Atlanta next year.

The Braves are also rumored to be looking at signing Brian Jordan :dunno: and talking to the Reds about trading Austin Kearns :good:

Originally posted by gobravesvols16@Jan 8, 2005 1:17 AM
There has been some talk on the Braves ESPN board about trading Hampton for Sammy Sosa but i don't think the Cubs will want to pay the majority of Sosa's salary next year. The Braves have about $8 MIL in self imposed cap room left to spend. I don't know many .300avg 30 HR guys they can get with that. Jeromy Burnitz and Cliff Floyd have some pop but their glove work leaves a little to be desired. Magglio Ordonez is a FA but his health is an issue and i think Scott Boras is his agent so he won't come cheap. Unless they trade for somebody its looking like Ryan Langerhans(.302av 21hr at Richmond) Billy McCarthy(.354av 6hr in 56 games at Richmond) and Andy Marte(.267av 23hr at Greenville) will fight it out. Marte has been playing 3rd and is reguarded by some as the best 3rd base prospect in baseball but I don't see Chipper moving back to the OF so they will have to tech him how to play OF. I guess it's a matter of how fast he learns the position as to if he will be in Atlanta next year.

Big Brave fan here!

Jeromy Burnitz is coming off a great year but Cliff is injured way too much, I hope they stay away from him. Sammy doesn't interest me either but he would be better than a minor leaguer. It does sound like Ryan Langerhans is goign to get a chance, I hope he can produce like others in the past. I can't wait for Andy Marte to be ready. I have heard nothing but great things about him, can't wait.

What if they moved Furcal to OF and put Nick Green at SS? Furcal has a great arm and would reach everything but he is wild. I would hate to break up or infield though. What do you guys think?

Our starting pitching is going to be great! How is Ramirez doing?

You'd have some serious speed in the OF if Furcal is out there but i don't see that happening. I could live with Burnitz or Kearns. We just need a little more pop in the lineup to go with that great pitching. I wish AOL would open up their wallets a little. Could you imagine the Braves with Carlos Beltran?

Originally posted by 21VOL@Jan 8, 2005 5:05 AM
The Braves are also rumored to be looking at signing Brian Jordan :dunno: and talking to the Reds about trading Austin Kearns :good:

Brian Jordan played for the Braves once before. Would be good to see him back and contribute again. They need some more outfielders since they traded away 2-3 players.

I've been a Braves (Milwaukee/Atlanta) fan since 1957 when Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, Eddie Mathews, Johnny Logan, Dale Crandall played for them. The 1957 team was good. Was glad to see them beat the Yaknees. The hero of that series was Lew Burdette with 3 wins in the 7 game series. :thumbsup:
I sure hope the Braves can advance further than just the first round. They need quality starters plus a very good bullpen.

I think the Brave will sign a serviceable outfielder to stick in Right Field and bat 7th and then take their chances in Left Field with what they've got (Ryan Langerhans, Andy Marte, Nick Green and Mark Derosa). I think the Braves signalled some old school philosophy when they signed Dan Kolb and put Smoltz in the rotation and then turned around and signed Tim Hudson. There are going to be a lot of 3-1 ballgames this year.

Also, looking for a breakout season from Adam Laroche. He started to click down the stretch last year.

I've been a Braves fan since '82. I think this team would have a good shot at winning it all if they can get to the playoffs. It's a known fact that pitching is where it's at in the playoffs. Having Smoltz and Hudson pitching 2 games each in a 7 game series would be tough.

Originally posted by gobravesvols16@Jan 9, 2005 10:50 PM
Having Smoltz and Hudson pitching 2 games each in a 7 game series would be tough.

You're right . . . this is the first time in the past 14 years that they will be able to run 2 power pitchers out there if they make the post season.

I've been a fan since the first Bobby Cox regime in 1980. It's mind boggling to think that I'm 32 years old and the last time the Braves didn't win their division, I was in high school.

They still haven't won enough to make up for the futility of '85-'90. Those were some of the worst teams in organized sports history. When guys like Andres Thomas, Ken Oberkfell and Jim Pressley are your go to guys, you've got serious problems.

And the very forgettable Rick Camp. Except fot the July 4th game tying HR in the 15th inning or something like that.

Originally posted by gobravesvols16@Jan 9, 2005 11:21 PM
And the very forgettable Rick Camp. Except fot the July 4th game tying HR in the 15th inning or something like that.

It was the bottom of 19th inning at 3:30 a.m. We could name obscure Braves players from the 80's all night long . . . other than Dale Murphy and Steve Bedrosian they were ALL obscure.

I have always felt bad about that. In the mid 80s Murphy was the only thing the Braves had . . . but he sure declined fast. He hit 40+ homers in 1987 and I'll bet he didn't get more than 50 more in his career after that.

9 degrees??? It doesn't take that many - Hank Aaron played with Phil Niekro who played with Dale Murphy who played with Tom Glavine who played with Chipper Jones.

VN Store

Back