Basillo: Lane Kiffin wants to come home

Would Kiffin accept the job if offered?

• Yes

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 23.5%

• Total voters
I don't think Kiffin is a realistic option so its probably not worth the time, but where would he go? He's not going back to the NFL. USC isn't going to call and he wouldn't take the call if they did. He only left Tennessee the first time for his dream job. If he got the job and had Tennessee rolling again, why would he leave for another program? Tennessee at full strength is a top 10-15 program. Why would he leave Tennessee for Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, etc.? This narrative that if Kiffin took the job again he would just leave after a year or two is not very strong.
I really don’t know that he would go anywhere. Despite what some people on here think of him, nobody has been knocking down the door to hire him the last few years. They haven’t, because is considered damaged goods. He raises concerns among a lot of people that have nothing to do with his job hopping. I mentioned these in another thread, but him staying is only half the problem. But all that said, I wouldn’t feel safe very long if I was his AD. I wouldn’t wager a lot of money on him sticking around.

He would go there if he sees it as a better opportunity because that’s what he does. That’s the only reason he has managed to maintain this weird relationship with some of our fan base. We are the desperate ex who knows better than to take him back, but he knows that we are just dumb enough to possibly do it. We are the only program with big time resources that he would have a slight chance at, because literally nobody else wants him at the moment. But he would be gone the minute he repaired his reputation here, and somebody hotter hits on him.
No I disagree, he is searching to establish a legacy. That is why he went back to USC. He knows that if he comes back here and builds a winner that he will go down in the history books and be celebrated. He also knows that regardless of your so called "opportunity" that at Bama he would be viewed as riding Saban's coattails. And as far as someone hotter? Win a Natty here and there is nowhere and no one hotter.

I think this might be a response that is more akin to relieving yourself of the hope of hiring Kiffin, by dismissing it as a mistake. I truly believe he learned from his mistake leaving the way he did. Taking a brief look at his coaching stops since USC, Alabama was good for him Saban was able to mature him and impart some wisdom, FAU, he was was never going to stay at FAU forever or really any longer than he had to be there. FAU was a proof is in the pudding stop. As for now, Ole Miss, I don't believe that he would leave were it not for this job. I think he would be quite content to spend quite a few years in Oxford, but given the opportunity to redeem himself and fix the mess that essentially started with him has to bean irresistible draw. So I say bring him back, what is the worst case scenario here we couldn't possibly be worse off than we are now.

This is like a knuckleball. I like the pitch and it confounds just about anyone who faces it--including at times the catcher himself. But if it doesn't move it is going to end in disaster.

This is why bringing Danny White in was such a superb move. He's an outsider. He doesn't have the direct knowledge of how things ended with Kiffin here that might cloud his judgement of how Kiffin operates in the present. He can run the rule over him from that perspective.

We've had so many tools running UTAD that getting the first true operator in that role since DAD gives me confidence that the choice will be a good one with all the protections necessary to make sure that individual will be here for the long term.

Didn’t read through this thread and I’m not a big poster so sorry if this has been posted. However, the Lane Kiffin stuff is true. He wants the job. It will be interesting to see what Mississippi thinks about Lane wanting to move on after 1 year.

I know the administration has done a lot of stupid stuff over the years, however I just don't see them hiring a guy that left after one season and would leave his current position after one season. WTH is that stupid?

No I disagree, he is searching to establish a legacy. That is why he went back to USC. He knows that if he comes back here and builds a winner that he will go down in the history books and be celebrated. He also knows that regardless of your so called "opportunity" that at Bama he would be viewed as riding Saban's coattails. And as far as someone hotter? Win a Natty here and there is nowhere and no one hotter.
I would like to say this to you and all of the Kiffin supporters. If I thought he would come here, be fully committed for the long term, behave himself, and make us a serious threat, then I would be 100% behind him coming here. I just simply do not believe that he can/would do all of those things. His background gives me reason to believe that the chances are 50/50 out of the gate. If I’m an AD making literally the biggest hire of my career, I just can’t talk myself into riding with him right now.

You lost me at "wants to come home" Knoxville was never his home. He was here a few months until the right job came along. Forget that dude who did nothing but tweet like Donald Trump and questionable recruiting practices. Remember Bryce Brown?

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
This is like a knuckleball. I like the pitch and it confounds just about anyone who faces it--including at times the catcher himself. But if it doesn't move it is going to end in disaster.

This is why bringing Danny White in was such a superb move. He's an outsider. He doesn't have the direct knowledge of how things ended with Kiffin here that might cloud his judgement of how Kiffin operates in the present. He can run the rule over him from that perspective.

We've had so many tools running UTAD that getting the first true operator in that role since DAD gives me confidence that the choice will be a good one with all the protections necessary to make sure that individual will be here for the long term.
If Kiffin is on the list, he will be vetted deeper than a presidential candidate. White will know all about his previous experience in Knoxville. He will know what really went down with Al Davis, he will know why USC felt that they had to make such a smack down statement firing, and he will know who the people were who he liked to hang out with at his favorite bar in Boca. There is no way his previous time here gets past White.

giphy.gif
Dan Marino should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

Want a cookie?

I really don’t know that he would go anywhere. Despite what some people on here think of him, nobody has been knocking down the door to hire him the last few years. They haven’t, because is considered damaged goods. He raises concerns among a lot of people that have nothing to do with his job hopping. I mentioned these in another thread, but him staying is only half the problem. But all that said, I wouldn’t feel safe very long if I was his AD. I wouldn’t wager a lot of money on him sticking around.

Good point. I'm just excited that all signs point to an offensive hire. Three years of the offense we just watched is depressing. I'm ready for an offense that can score more than 10 points a game and feel like we have offensive weapons on the roster now that could contribute to immediate offensive improvement.

Damaged goods? Monkey with a hammer? Our program ain’t exactly A-list rn. We should be so lucky.

ALL of Kiffin’s “personal negatives” can be managed with the right admin infrastructure. Gone are the days when we hired a HC turned over the keys and said do whatever you want. He’s got weaknesses like everybody else. So create the infrastructure to manage that.

Where this “monkey with a hammer” IS strong is exactly where we need it the most: on the field especially on O and in the locker room. When motivated the man can outscheme anyone. We would be IMMEDIATELY COMPETITIVE with Kiffin at the helm again and he’s got a roomful of serviceable QBs he can coach up this time around plus a much stronger roster on both sides of the ball.

Thank God Kiffin is a KNOWN for us bc every other candidate is once again a complete unknown. Hiring decisions aren’t made in a vacuum of looking for mr right bc he doesn’t exist, instead they’re based on comparatives of who else is REALISTICALLY willing to do the job.

To me hiring the Monkey With A Hammer is a no-brainer IF he’s matured willing to be managed off field and stupid enough to actually take the job. This ALL DAY

Reactions: OrangeShadeOfDoom
Damaged goods? Monkey with a hammer? Our program ain’t exactly A-list rn. We should be so lucky.

ALL of Kiffin’s “personal negatives” can be managed with the right admin infrastructure. Gone are the days when we hired a HC turned over the keys and said do whatever you want. He’s got weaknesses like everybody else. So create the infrastructure to manage that.

Where this “monkey with a hammer” IS strong is exactly where we need it the most: on the field especially on O and in the locker room. When motivated the man can outscheme anyone. We would be IMMEDIATELY COMPETITIVE with Kiffin at the helm again and he’s got a roomful of serviceable QBs he can coach up this time around plus a much stronger roster on both sides of the ball.

Thank God Kiffin is a KNOWN for us bc every other candidate is once again a complete unknown. Hiring decisions aren’t made in a vacuum of looking for mr right bc he doesn’t exist, instead they’re based on comparatives of who else is REALISTICALLY willing to do the job.

To me hiring the Monkey With A Hammer is a no-brainer IF he’s matured willing to be managed off field and stupid enough to actually take the job. This ALL DAY
*****IF*****

You lost me at "wants to come home" Knoxville was never his home. He was here a few months until the right job came along. Forget that dude who did nothing but tweet like Donald Trump and questionable recruiting practices. Remember Bryce Brown?

The running back he brought in who ran for over 200 yards in an NFL game? Yes, I remember well. I’d love to have more of those guys

Reactions: JohnWardForever
If you even entertain the option of letting Kiffin come back to UT, you have to word the contract in UTs favor. You have to let him know up front that

1) He will not have a buyout clause.
2) He will owe UT a pre-determined amount of money when leaving. Hopefully worded to include the entire amount of his salary from the point of hire to the point of departure
3) Putting out feelers or entertaining any new employment, while at UT, is an immediate Breach of Contract with possibility of fine or termination

I like it! You done good. AND, I'm for it.

*****IF*****
Yes IF. That’s why we pay an AD. To see if Kiffin is still a punk or has matured into a NC contending coach. IF so then Tennessee is the only place Kiffin can accomplish that goal.

Quit living in the past. People do change. Or they don’t. That’s the whole point of being open minded and going through the process. Predeciding based on “rumors” and “concerns” and “past behaviors” is how we keep ourselves mired in this mess.

Yes IF. That’s why we pay an AD. To see if Kiffin is still a punk or has matured into a NC contending coach. IF so then Tennessee is the only place Kiffin can accomplish that goal.

Quit living in the past. People do change. Or they don’t. That’s the whole point of being open minded and going through the process. Predeciding based on “rumors” and “concerns” and “past behaviors” is how we keep ourselves mired in this mess.
Fair points, I hear you. But I have to wonder why nobody else bit on him other than the two schools that never get any good coaches. Practically every program in the NCAA has made a hire since he got canned at USC. They all have to know what he is capable of offensively. But you never know what goes on behind closed doors in these coaching searches, and maybe some of those schools looked at him/talked to him. There were no takers from any really good programs, and you have to ask yourself why when you look at some of the hires they made instead.

Reactions: Woke
I’m torn on this one.

on one hand, I remember this guy not only running out in us but also trying to sabotage our incoming class on the way out. I remember Orgeron making calls telling new recruits that had just arrived on campus to not go to class that day so that they could follow him to USC. This is why I don’t hope for any success to come Orgeron’s way. The guy is slime - and Kiffin at least gave tacit approval to those actions.

On the other hand, if Kiffin really sees that leaving was a mistake and wants to come back for good, it’s a tempting proposition (assuming his contract makes it financially impractical to leave and is based primarily on heavy incentives for results on the field). The guy is a proven offensive mind who has experience running football programs. He won’t be a “on the job training” type of hire.

I can see him doing the same thing to Ole Miss as he did to us.

If he is advocating himself for the job at UT, he hasn't changed. He's done it before (to us), apparently would be willing to do it again (to Ole Miss). Why wouldn't he do it a 3rd time (us again), if we hired him away from Mississippi?

Agreed. I would look at other options because Kiffin has consistently shown a mercenary mentality that would be very disruptive to a program craving stability like plants crave electrolytes.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra

VN Store

Back