Basillo: Lane Kiffin wants to come home

Would Kiffin accept the job if offered?

• Yes

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 23.5%

• Total voters
This has all been public knowledge. Steele is automatically ruled out because of White wanting an offensive minded HC. Elliott would be a fallback and most likely the once Coordinator that would be considered. Just based off what Travis and Basillio are reporting, we will be extremely pleased with any of White's top 3 choices. Sounding like there's atleast a good possibility we finally get it right and get an accomplished HC that will put life back into TN Football. With White's history of making great and successful hires everywhere he's been, I finally have real hope the dark time's are close to ending. And he did those hires at much smaller schools and less money and resources. He probably has as close of a blank check to make this hire as any AD we've had the last 20+ yrs. In the last 25 yrs our most accomplished athletcs hires have been in basketball with Rick and to a lesser extent Bruce. Football we've had 2 first time college HC's ( Kiffin and Pruitt), a HC with 3 yrs experience that had a career losing record and 1 winning season( Dooley)..then a HC with 6 yrs experience at 2 non power schools and followed Brian Kelly at both stops. Wasn't at either school long enough to show he could win with his players..( Butch)..

Alabama, since Stallings hired 5 Coachs and got it right on the 5th one. This will be our 5th since Fulmer, so hopefully it's our turn to get it right

Just sharing what I heard. I've been off the grid so I hadn't seen Tony George's name thrown around. As I said, I don't think they're going the coordinator route.

If CLK really wants to "come home" (gimme a break) and he really is sorry he f'ed us (yeah, right) and started this mess to begin with AND prove to us that he is sincere and won't bail at the first better opportunity after ONE YEAR--like he has done to us and would currently be doing to Ole Miss--then let him demonstrate all of that by taking a much lesser initial contract than he would normally ask for, with a very large buyout when he bolts for the next better opportunity.

He won't do it but he should, all things considered. Put your $$$ where your mouth is punk.

It's the least he could do if he really is sincere.

Has it occurred to anyone that the reason he may be playing the "Sorry guys I messed up" card is because he knows that FU money is on the table and UT is desperate....and historically stupid when it comes to HC hires?

Last edited:
Reactions: volmanjr
While you support TRAITOR KIFFIN.

Butch Jones .539, Traitor Kiffin .538 that's their winning Pct. at UT.

Anyone that supports Kiffin is either a Traitor or a Moron or both.
Kiffin had 1 year and took over a team from CPF that lost to Wyoming for Homecoming prior year...Butch was responsible for the most losses in a season in history IN YEAR 5!!!!!! Don't come in here with that hogwash troll

While you support TRAITOR KIFFIN.

Butch Jones .539, Traitor Kiffin .538 that's their winning Pct. at UT.

Anyone that supports Kiffin is either a Traitor or a Moron or both.
Boy.. you truly are special aren't you... You're about as bright as a kentucky football fan... Go do yourself a favor, and go sit with the little kids.. leave football to the adults...

Lane Kiffin is pulling a Gundy. He’s just trying to get a pay raise from Ole Miss and for kicks he gets to stick it to us one more time.For everyone saying he’s matured now, You know he would have to leave Ole Miss after 1 season just like he did to us. Coincidentally, USC (His dream job) ran him off after 3 years.

Due diligence plus risk / reward my friend. We need a rockstar to reach our potential the fastest. We need to manage him carefully on the rest. If we choose a plodder or caretaker we’ll never get there. That’s what our opponents are banking on, and I wouldn’t bet against them unfortunately. Just my .02.

I hear what you're saying, but when you say "we need to manage him carefully" it's misleading because it will be White's job to manage him. White might actually agree with fans who say Kiffin would get us a winning record and better recruits faster, but Kiffin's history is unmistakable: he'll be out the door in 3 years or less, or we'll be under sanctions, or both.

That means it will be White's job, once again, to hire another football coach. Fans will be calling for his firing, because fans. Imo, it would be dumb for White to stake his reputation on Kiffin when he has shown he can make great hires at Buffalo and UCF. Now that White is in the SEC and has the budget, he might be able to keep them.

We'll see what happens, but by approaching Lance Liepold (a hire he made at Buffalo), it appears White is taking the long view.

I hear what you're saying, but when you say "we need to manage him carefully" it's misleading because it will be White's job to manage him. White might actually agree with fans who say Kiffin would get us a winning record and better recruits faster, but Kiffin's history is unmistakable: he'll be out the door in 3 years or less, or we'll be under sanctions, or both.

That means it will be White's job, once again, to hire another football coach. Fans will be calling for his firing, because fans. Imo, it would be dumb for White to stake his reputation on Kiffin when he has shown he can make great hires at Buffalo and UCF. Now that White is in the SEC and has the budget, he might be able to keep them.

We'll see what happens, but by approaching Lance Liepold (a hire he made at Buffalo), it appears White is taking the long view.
Do you really think Kiffin would risk career suicide by ruining his 2nd chance with a major SEC program ?

If you even entertain the option of letting Kiffin come back to UT, you have to word the contract in UTs favor. You have to let him know up front that

1) He will not have a buyout clause.
2) He will owe UT a pre-determined amount of money when leaving. Hopefully worded to include the entire amount of his salary from the point of hire to the point of departure
3) Putting out feelers or entertaining any new employment, while at UT, is an immediate Breach of Contract with possibility of fine or termination

4) He becomes a eunuch.

I agree with you (I think) that Kiffin has a big upside but also has the greatest potential to destroy the program. A little more job stability would be nice. I think the downside is too high. There are other brilliant offensive minds, and if one takes an extra year to get acclimated to the conference, that is still better that watching your program collapse. It's just evaluating which risk you can manage better.

Lane Kiffin is pulling a Gundy. He’s just trying to get a pay raise from Ole Miss and for kicks he gets to stick it to us one more time.For everyone saying he’s matured now, You know he would have to leave Ole Miss after 1 season just like he did to us. Coincidentally, USC (His dream job) ran him off after 3 years.

Kiffin would most Def come here, just hope we hire him and get this over with.

Reactions: norriscraftbasser

“We” need to quit living in the past and avoid making projections of the future on that basis.

“We” are already under sanctions unknown rn. Kiffin is a top HC. Nobody else of that caliber will touch this dumpster fire. Kiffin might just be motivated by the right mix of opportunism AND remorse to undo past mistakes. Or not. That’s what interviews are for.

If “we” stay stuck in the past and refuse to take a calculated risk with a KNOWN commodity like Kiffin warts and all, and if “we” make a fear-based hire bc of upcoming sanctions, then “we” will get stuck with some unknown Boy Scout who at best will produce mediocrity.

Boy Scouts don’t contend for SECC’s or win NC’s. “We” need to aim higher while simultaneously managing our downside risk thru better internal monitoring protocols.

Yeah I know “we” don’t do the actual managing our AD does but this is OUR football team not his and I’m tired of being a bottom-dwelling laughingstock or a HC resume-builder for yet another mediocre HC or coordinator. Time to get off this carousel.

He just hired a new assistant for his Ole Miss staff. Doesn’t seem like the actions of someone who thinks he’s leaving for another job.

VN Store

Back