Best and worst thing you’ve seen live at a Tennessee football game

The most heartbreaking thing I’ve seen was in 1990 when we were about to win over Notre Dame and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
A close 2nd was the fumble vs Ga in 1980. (I’m old)

The best thing I’ve ever seen was the fumble caused by the hand of G-d vs Arkansas.
A close 2nd was the 35 point 1st quarter also Arkansas.

What about you?
What’s your best and worst?
Ga State and 52-49

THE BEST: I was in the student section in November 1959 when the Vols won the game by stopping Billy Cannon's Number 1 ranked LSU Tigers short on the two-point conversion attempt. That play made the cover of Sports Illustrated. Google will show it to you today!

I was also in the stands for two of the all-time worst game losing missed field goals! The miss in the last play in the Orange Bowl resulting in the loss to Oklahoma in January 1968! (In the final AP Poll we dropped from two to three)

The other was the final play miss against Bama in 1996 in Neyland. A very makeable 20 something yarder. I was close enough to see the anguish on Doug Dickey's face.
Was that 66 against Bama?

Reactions: DuckInAPen
The most heartbreaking thing I’ve seen was in 1990 when we were about to win over Notre Dame and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

The best thing I’ve ever seen was the fumble caused by the hand of G-d vs Arkansas.

What about you?
Worst thing I ever saw live.... the scoreboard at the Liberty Bowl in 1996.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Worst : Seeing Neyland Stadium filled mostly with Bama fans Fulmers last season in the 4th. Like 29-7 and wasn't even that close.

Best/Tie: 1997 vs UGA. Manning and Lewis shredded the Bulldogs. 1990 vs UF. Dale Carter busting that KR caused an earthquake in Knoxville.

Reactions: EasternVol
Worst thing I ever saw live.... the scoreboard at the Liberty Bowl in 1996.
Having grown up in Memphis, that would be my worst had I been there.

I was moving from the East Coast to Wyoming that week and stopped in Memphis to visit family. Thankfully, I didn’t stay for the game.

I will concentrate on the positive:

Good
1. UT vs. Kentucky, about 20 years ago, I took my nephew to the game without tickets. We parked at the civic center and took a bus. Looking at the nephew I told him all we have to do now is get some tickets. The lady in front of us turned and handed us 2 tickets in the T section, 40 rows up. Her husband and son could not come to the game, and she had a severely handicapped child to get into the game. I accepted the tickets and lent a hand every time I could to care for the kid. The surprise was how much everyone in the section knew this child and cared for him. Once the game commenced, the kid turned into John Ward and Bill Anderson, doing a perfect Vol Cast of the game. He lived for the games.

2. UT Miami on my honeymoon. Enough said. The Vols scored a lot, and so did I.

3. The 1998 SEC Championship game.

Bad. The way we lost in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Penn State. Enough said.

Best Arkansas 1998. After the fumble, I've never seen an O Line dominate a defense like ours did that drive.

Worst...2001 SECCG. We were baffled by the QB draw, we acted as if that was the first time the NCAA allowed QBs to run

All these are good. Brings back memories good and bad.

1968 Orange Bowl vs Oklahoma always burns me up. Karl Kremser made the FG but the comeback was excellent.

The ND games "The Miracle at South Bend" and the Loss @ home were both great games with different outcomes.

The Auburn Game with Tony Robinson lighting up the No 1 Bo Jackson lead Team. Miami game in Sugar Bowl. Best 9-2-2 team in the history of college football.

Worse for me was a Dooley lead team beaten by Vanderbilt 41 - 18 and then a couple of years later won 3 in a row. This should never happen, ever.

Best: 1974
Going for a win on a two point conversion over Clemson instead of settling for a tie.

Worst: 1975
We were 40.5 point favorites over 1-9 North Texas State. We were playing crappy all day. Tennessee tied the game 14-14 with under 5 minutes remaining, so we had hope.
But right after our TD, they returned the kickoff 98 yards for the winning touchdown. Besides the few NTS fans celebrating, you could hear a pin drop with all of us shocked Tennessee fans exiting Neyland.

IMG_3966.jpeg

Best thing: A tie between the absolute joy as a 9 year old boy I felt coming to my first game in Knoxville back in 1983 … and going back for my first game in over 6 years back in 2005 after getting back from Iraq.

Worst: This is a tough one. As much as I love this team, they have laid down and failed at so many different points when the biggest of opportunities were there for them to grab. I suppose the loss to Wyoming at the end of the Fulmer era would be the one if I had to pick.

Best was 04 Florida.
Worst : UGA 03. Going into score before half to take the lead I think . Fumble the ball and UGA takes it back 99 yards and we lose 49-10 or something . We completely quit after that . Honorable mention Florida 02.

Reactions: EasternVol

What about you?
Recently?

Best: win over FL last year at Neyland
Worst: Music City Bowl where we were robbed of a victory.

Recently?

Best: win over FL last year at Neyland
Worst: Music City Bowl where we were robbed of a victory.
I’ve been to games since the 70s. I’ve seen a lot. Florida last year was nice. The Arkansas fumble, Neyland going quiet during commercials, and then Cheese, walking onto the field while the rest of the team was already in the huddle, slapping his chest and yelling at the Arkansas Defense “I’m coming MFers….get ready….I’m coming!!!” And having Neyland go crazy…….is easily the grandest moment I’ve experienced in the holy temple of Knoxville.

But that’s just my experience

In person at Neyland:

Best: Dale Carter kick return about 80yds for TD.

Worst: Jabar Gaffney NOT CATCHING THE BALL and that POS Vandy grad bald black ref that haunted us in the 90s signalling it a TD from about the 20 yard line even though the official right on top of the play did NOT. Still pizzed about it

I saw a stupid, inbred gump coach at Neyland. Can’t get much worse than that

VN Store

Back