Biggest bust as a highly touted recruit.

He’s probably not the biggest bust, but J.J. Peterson is a recent one that comes to mind. I remember folks watching anxiously as it got down to the wire to get him academically eligible for the season, then once he got cleared and on his way, excitement built thinking he was gonna be one of the big pieces to start turning the program around.

I thin JJ had too much junk in the trunk and wouldn't do the work to get where he needed to be. Hard work is the great separator.

Reactions: A.J.
I don't know if it was the "biggest"...but certainly a NICE Tennessee Bust...

4bd59d0d25252431b9be3c3595252f821891599679.jpg
THANKS! I needed that this morning! Lawdy.

Moses Collins for me.

Was supposed to be "The" guy. Never played a down.....iirc.

I don't know if it was the "biggest"...but certainly a NICE Tennessee Bust...

4bd59d0d25252431b9be3c3595252f821891599679.jpg

Too bad that style didn't turn into a trendsetter as much as it should've here. She brought the Florida look to Tennessee.

Do yall remember Jerod Askew? He was in that 09 Kiffin class, dude was a top 100 player, probably top 10 LB in the country and you NEVER saw him on the field. I want to say Brent Hubbs or someone ended up addressing it at some point and basically said the guy just isnt that athletic and kinda runs like a duck. Or something along those lines. I can understand how the analyst cant account for mentality or even if they run in a bad crowd. But to have some pencil pusher from a sports blog say he looks like a duck running around on a field amongst actual athletes makes you wonder how the hell that guy got the clout and offer's he did.. I also remember thinking Ted Meline and Matt Milton would be good.

Moses Collins for me.

Was supposed to be "The" guy. Never played a down.....iirc.

He actually played in a lot of games in 1986 and 1987. But Francis and Sanders took most of the snaps in 1986 and Francis, Sanders, and Henton took more than Moses in 1987. He threw 8 passes in 23 games. Apparently he had a lot of hand offs while running out the clock.

Reactions: peaygolf
He actually played in a lot of games in 1986 and 1987. But Francis and Sanders took most of the snaps in 1986 and Francis, Sanders, and Henton took more than Moses in 1987. He threw 8 passes in 23 games. Apparently he had a lot of hand offs while running out the clock.
Thank you. I didn't remember him playing.

I just remember a "better" Tony Robinson on deck....:rolleyes:

There were a few underperformed under Butch, but the one that was most disappointing to me was Dillon Bates. Highly rated 4 star. 95 rating. Yet, despite staying at Tennessee fir 5 years, he was never was more than a ST player. Never actually played LB.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Do yall remember Jerod Askew? He was in that 09 Kiffin class, dude was a top 100 player, probably top 10 LB in the country and you NEVER saw him on the field. I want to say Brent Hubbs or someone ended up addressing it at some point and basically said the guy just isnt that athletic and kinda runs like a duck. Or something along those lines. I can understand how the analyst cant account for mentality or even if they run in a bad crowd. But to have some pencil pusher from a sports blog say he looks like a duck running around on a field amongst actual athletes makes you wonder how the hell that guy got the clout and offer's he did.. I also remember thinking Ted Meline and Matt Milton would be good.

What a shame! Just looked him up and he was recently sentenced to 16 years of prison due to drug trafficking charges. I guess you can say that he was the biggest BUST!

Ohio St has a qb on their roster that was labeled as the #1 recruit in 2022. Have a feeling that dude will not live up to the hype

Ben Martin. Was supposed to be the next great Vol DE. 5 star. Ohio player of the year. Had one decent season, 3 mediocre ones. Never remotely lived up to the hype.

Brandon Jeffries was supposed to be a sure fire NFL first round kind of OL. 5 star. #1 OL in the nation. #1 player in NC. He barely played. Transfered to JUCO as a junior.

Derrick Tinsley is an honorable mention. He was a 5 star, super hyped dual threat RB that was expected to be lightning to Houston's thunder in the 2004 class. He averaged around 82 yards rushing per year for 4 years and around 100 receiving yards per season. He touched the ball just under a 100 times in his 4 years here.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
For me it is Kaiden Salter as far as UT is concerned. Suppose to come in here and be an almost instant starter. Had a go fund me page for his dad (I think) that got Covid here. University had to make sure that didn’t violate some NCAA rule or got a waiver. Then he gets in trouble and is off the team before season even starts.
I think he transferred to Liberty university in Va

VN Store

Back