BTO’s Missouri Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. Quite the tale of two halves, but it resulted in a W and that’s obviously waists most important, no matter how ugly it may be. Missouri clearly wanted to muddy the game up, be physical and see how we reacted, in the first half it felt like nobody except Awaka was ready for it. Made adjustments at the half and while the final score made it look closer than it was that was a solid 2nd half from Tennessee winning it 46-38.

2. Not sure if it was the quick turnaround, or playing on the road, or facing a win less team or all of the above, but that was a disappointing team that opened the game. That’s a bad Missouri team and they were in it simply due to effort and physicality, we compounded that with horrible shooting, including at the FT line, too many turnovers and bad rebounding as well. That’s a bad recipe and how you find yourself down on the road to a winless team, but again credit for the Vols for coming back and not suffering a horrible loss.

3. We’ve seen teams try and physical/muddy the game up and us struggle, so not a shock that Missouri did just that, I thought Barnes was slow on the adjustments but credit for going to them and sticking. JJJ was horrible this game and couldn’t handle the physicality, he was removed early in the second half in lieu of a 2 big lineup and playing Tobe Awaka who you can county on bringing the physicality, which he did just that. Aidoo also had a great second half after I’m guessing he was ripped at halftime, Knecht competed all night and after a bad first half Zeigler also responded well in the second half. Barnes has options on that bench, Mashack and Awaka are better suited for physical games than JJJ, that’s a luxury to have, but don’t hesitate to make the move, against a better team it could cost you.

4. Speaking of Awaka, what a great game from him, 22mins 18pts 10rbd 6-8fg 6-7ft, he was a major difference maker and I’m not sure we win that game without him, and he committed just 2 fouls allowing Barnes to play him 13/20 minutes in the second half. Certain games are going to suit him better, but again having him as your backup 5 and able to come in as a physical 4 is a nice luxury to have.

5. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, however we’ve seen this theme so much in tourney losses or big games to where we can’t hit a shot, Santi & JJJ disappear and you’re left wondering how well possibly score or will we be sent home. We’ve seen it a few times this year already and so that’s why we all get nervous watching it, but seeing the move to Awaka, seeing Knecht keep on pressing knowing his shots will eventually fall, Aidoo bringing his game that second half and Zeigler not backing down is a great sign. JJJ & Santi again pretty much no showed offensively, and nobody is going to feel confident that that won’t happen again, and maybe at the most important time, but again that’s where seeing Zeigler, Knecht, Aidoo & tonight Awaka is a little reason for optimism. When the going gets tough, which it has at times, they’re hopefully finding ways to get some buckets and get things going.

6. Big picture that was a game you sure didn’t want to drop, and they didn’t, so no harm done. Come home Saturday for a rematch with a struggling Texas A&M team and a chance to make it 4 games in a row as they enter the much talked about rough 4 game stretch to close out the season. A win Saturday and it really makes a 2 seed all that much more likely with an outside shot at still fighting for a 1 seed, would also build up some additional hype for the following game when Auburn comes to town the following week.

GBO!!!

1. Quite the tale of two halves, but it resulted in a W and that’s obviously waists most important, no matter how ugly it may be. Missouri clearly wanted to muddy the game up, be physical and see how we reacted, in the first half it felt like nobody except Awaka was ready for it. Made adjustments at the half and while the final score made it look closer than it was that was a solid 2nd half from Tennessee winning it 46-38.

2. Not sure if it was the quick turnaround, or playing on the road, or facing a win less team or all of the above, but that was a disappointing team that opened the game. That’s a bad Missouri team and they were in it simply due to effort and physicality, we compounded that with horrible shooting, including at the FT line, too many turnovers and bad rebounding as well. That’s a bad recipe and how you find yourself down on the road to a winless team, but again credit for the Vols for coming back and not suffering a horrible loss.

3. We’ve seen teams try and physical/muddy the game up and us struggle, so not a shock that Missouri did just that, I thought Barnes was slow on the adjustments but credit for going to them and sticking. JJJ was horrible this game and couldn’t handle the physicality, he was removed early in the second half in lieu of a 2 big lineup and playing Tobe Awaka who you can county on bringing the physicality, which he did just that. Aidoo also had a great second half after I’m guessing he was ripped at halftime, Knecht competed all night and after a bad first half Zeigler also responded well in the second half. Barnes has options on that bench, Mashack and Awaka are better suited for physical games than JJJ, that’s a luxury to have, but don’t hesitate to make the move, against a better team it could cost you.

4. Speaking of Awaka, what a great game from him, 22mins 18pts 10rbd 6-8fg 6-7ft, he was a major difference maker and I’m not sure we win that game without him, and he committed just 2 fouls allowing Barnes to play him 13/20 minutes in the second half. Certain games are going to suit him better, but again having him as your backup 5 and able to come in as a physical 4 is a nice luxury to have.

5. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, however we’ve seen this theme so much in tourney losses or big games to where we can’t hit a shot, Santi & JJJ disappear and you’re left wondering how well possibly score or will we be sent home. We’ve seen it a few times this year already and so that’s why we all get nervous watching it, but seeing the move to Awaka, seeing Knecht keep on pressing knowing his shots will eventually fall, Aidoo bringing his game that second half and Zeigler not backing down is a great sign. JJJ & Santi again pretty much no showed offensively, and nobody is going to feel confident that that won’t happen again, and maybe at the most important time, but again that’s where seeing Zeigler, Knecht, Aidoo & tonight Awaka is a little reason for optimism. When the going gets tough, which it has at times, they’re hopefully finding ways to get some buckets and get things going.

6. Big picture that was a game you sure didn’t want to drop, and they didn’t, so no harm done. Come home Saturday for a rematch with a struggling Texas A&M team and a chance to make it 4 games in a row as they enter the much talked about rough 4 game stretch to close out the season. A win Saturday and it really makes a 2 seed all that much more likely with an outside shot at still fighting for a 1 seed, would also build up some additional hype for the following game when Auburn comes to town the following week.

GBO!!!
JG is back playing like the football JG; ice cold again. Just weird how he is so hot and cold.

GBO!!!

Solid write up and Awaka was by far the player of this game.

I liked how Barnes and his staff played Aidoo and Awaka together at times tonight.

This was an SEC/NCAA tournament type game which Tennessee needed because you are not going to win every game by 25 or 30 points.

Missouri physicaled Knecht around all night long and we can probably expect the same kind of game plan from Texas A&M on Saturday night at Food City Center.

Missouri is going to get at least 1 win in the regular season/SEC Tournament because they enjoy muddying up games.

On the bright side, if you're gonna play a complete garbage Game, make it against the worst team in the leauge and still win.

On the other side. That's the last one you can play like that, because we can lose any of the next 5 with another performance like tonight.

What I liked was the players did not seem to lose their focus as they have previously in very physical games. They kept their heads in the game.
Did not like the discrepancies in fouls. But also noticed that Barnes was very restrained in his conversations with the guys in striped shirts.
Felt like the Mizzou strategy was to be so physical with us to see if they could rattle us mentally. We were slow to adjust, but took the foul calls in stride. Vastly improved player attitude towards adversity. Very pleased.
Road wins earned. Winning ugly is a thing!

What I liked was the players did not seem to lose their focus as they have previously in very physical games. They kept their heads in the game.
Did not like the discrepancies in fouls. But also noticed that Barnes was very restrained in his conversations with the guys in striped shirts.
Felt like the Mizzou strategy was to be so physical with us to see if they could rattle us mentally. We were slow to adjust, but took the foul calls in stride. Vastly improved player attitude towards adversity. Very pleased.
Road wins earned. Winning ugly is a thing!
I saw the fouls way different and thought we were in good shape with the stripes tonight. Missouri had 7 in the 2nd half before we got our first.

Road wins earned. Winning ugly is a thi
incredibly poor/careless ball handling, especially in the first half.
Glad you said it two hours late, I don’t think anyone noticed the first half.

Rewatched the game. First time around I was focused on Awaka and Knecht. Second time I noticed what a great second half Aidoo had. He cleaned up a number of misses at the rim and had some great blocks. Big piece of the win tonight.
He made a few great putbacks to keep our momentum when DK was heating up. True group effort tonight. Don’t love how bad we started, but we’re likely gonna have to fight through some controversy at some point in march. Glad to see us bounce back and handle it well tonight.

We have to cut down on the turnovers, plain and simple. 15 turnovers led to 15 points for them. Not only are you robbing yourself of a shot attempt, you are giving them easy points for a team that was struggling to score for most of the night. The 3 point shooting left something to be desired, but we shot pretty well outside of that overall. That's why you need to not turn the ball over. That was the biggest issue tonight, and we didn't have as many assists as we normally do.

Feel like mashack is in the dog house somehow. Physical game but he inky saw 11 minutes, majority in the first half. Think we’ll need him against A&M Saturday imo
Mashack needs to be the guy inserted when JJJ, Vescovi, or Gainey are not getting it done. Pretty simple adjustment. He gives some spark that the above dudes don't when they are not on.

Great comeback by the Vols in a rockfight game. Good move by Barnes to go big in the second half to negate Missouri’s physicality. Turnovers were very disappointing and so was the free throw shooting. I think performances like last night is why the media will tab the Vols as a likely upset victim in the big dance. Games like this will always be in the back of Vols fans minds once the dance starts. Take the win, move on and get ready for another physical game Saturday night. We gotta hold serve in our home games, and A@M is fading fast. Hope the home crowd is amped up for the revenge rematch with aggies.

Agree Awaka kept them in the game first half. Not sure why Mashack only played 1 minute second half. I'm guessing Barnes is fed up with players not shooting when open shots are there.

Santi and JJJ were awful and not helping things but I think at this point of the season the team is deep enough to adjust. ZZ was the one first half that really felt like he was hurting the team and playing out of control. He responded and came out at second half playing much better. Thankfully Knecht is also around for breaking any major droughts and helping the team come back.

VN Store

Back