BTO’s NC State Postgame Report

1. Another solid resume win, NCST is not a world beater by any means but they’re likely a fringe NCAAT team, and that was played on a neutral court at an absurdly late start time, you’ll take that Q1 win every single day of the week. A lot of aspects weren’t pretty, some guys didn’t have it, some were under the weather, but the guys found a way to get it done and some others stepped up, that’s a sign of a great team.

2. On a night where Dalton Knecht struggled to get anything going it was JJJ who impressed once again and is continuing his stellar play in his final year on Rocky Top. He’s been criticized a lot for not showing up when needed but he was needed last night and he showed up, that was great to see from him. He’s now up to 45% from 3 on the year which is an incredible number for him, he’s getting great looks and taking great shots and you can see the work he’s put in and the confidence both he and his team have in him, he’s also driving to the rim more than we’ve ever seen him do, amazing what a healthy slate can do for you.

3. I thought Zeigler took yet another step in a positive direction, as I said weeks ago you needed old Zakai back and you’d probably just have to deal with some of the rust, it’s felt little by little he’s getting there and last night was the best he’s looked. The shot looked good, he was a pest defensively, he had some great assists, if we wanna nit pick he missed a couple bunnies, but again, last night was the best he’s looked which is a great sign going forward imo.

4. Mashack played another great game, he’s the unsung hero lots of times for us but he’s just so damn good, especially when a team has a player who’s feeling it offensively he just ends it. With JJJ showing more offense it’s allowed Mashack to play alongside him and it not hinder the offensive efficiency, this has allowed Mashack to pull some minutes from Gainey and allowed Mashack some more minutes recently, and deservingly so. He’s finding his role very nicely, getting into the lane when it’s there and hitting that nice little half hook, and then doing what he always has done defensively.

5. I mentioned pregame that I thought Awaka on Burns would be interesting and it was, thought that was a game changer to an extent. Burns was getting going on Aidoo and catching the ball way too close to the basket and getting backed down to where DJ would get to his spot each time, insert Awaka and that ended. He made DJ work much harder which tired him out, forced him to catch it further out which made it easier to dig down on a dribble by a guard and it really frustrated him and pretty much took him out of the game. Tobe also brought great energy and his insane rebound rate, 12 rebounds in 18 minutes, Aidoo had 4 in 26…unfortunately that also comes with fouls and Tobe had 4 fouls in 18 minutes as well. That’s a tough one because you don’t want to hamper his style and effectiveness, but you’re also limited on his minutes because of his foul tendencies, he by far leads all rotational players in fouls/minute.

6. That should pretty much put a bow on the OOC slate, they’ve got 2 games left but likely 20+ point favorites in both, so should be 2 more wins to close it out. Would put Tennessee at 10-3 entering conference play, road win against Wisconsin, home win against Illinois, neutral site against NCST & Syracuse…3 losses being away from home against Top 15 teams, that’s a great start to a NCAAT resume. As I’ve mentioned as well the SEC slate opens up pretty soft so this is definitely a stretch we need to be stacking wins, continuing to figure things out as a team, and building confidence as well.

GBO!!!
Appreciate you doing these. Great job like always.

Mashack might not fill up the offensive stat sheet, but he seems to often come through with the timing of his points. IIRC, it was his basket in the paint that ended a significant scoring drought. And at the free throw line he doesn’t appear to get rattled - his percentage might actually go up when the game is close late.

Noticed we went double big (even with Estrella at one point) when JJJ got 3 fouls. Found that interesting.

I love Mashack. I’ve always been a huge advocate of him getting more minutes.

I think lots of people have overlooked how good Vescovi has been as a ball handler, driver and passer this year. He sets up lots of offense, even if he doesn’t get the assist. His pick and roll game with Aidoo has been really good and probably will keep getting better.
Yes, I've been very impressed with Santi as of late.

I thought that it was unusual that only 8x players got minutes and UT was pushing the pace more than usual. JPE got a minute, not MINUTES.

Plus, there were 2 players sitting down with foul trouble. And at least one player had been sick.

Also, Gainey had the fewest of the 8. You’d think if UT was going faster he’d be included.

Maybe that is a benefit of facing Burns. He’s not going to counter the pace and run you out of the gym.

We should be 10-3 going into SEC play and have quality wins. The SEC may be a bit better than anticipated from the preseason expectations, but I like this UT squad. When two primary scorers are off and you still find a way to win on a neutral court that just shows the depth and versatility of this team. Our bench play is impressive. When you need a defensive presence on perimeter, we can plug in Mashack at any time. When you need strength and rebounding, here comes Awaka. Gainey needs to hit at a higher % but he is even a threat. Over these next 2 non-conference games I hope we can give the youngsters alot of run and be well prepared for Ole Miss who will likely be undefeated when they come to Knoxville.

Man DJ Burns has to be one of the laziest good players I’ve watched. I can see why Barnes didn’t put up with it long, can also see why Barnes thought he could help replicate what Grant did.

He just bodies people, would have LOVED to have seen him try that against Uros.

Awaka definitely handled him well though and made the big man work.
Although I get the point … any comparison between Grant and Burns is almost laughable.

Reactions: berryvol
DK just needs to adjust knowing defense is taking his driving lane away. Move ball get defense moving and you will either get a better shot for yourself or teammate. I believe he will adjust our strength is in numbers. Good W use next 2 to get minutes to Freddie and Phillps and Estrella. In CHRIST Alone

The free throw discrepancy, especially away from TBA, is still rather mind boggling. Only reason NC state was in the game

I don’t mind it so much if we are playing more physical defense, but the inconsistent calls between halves drives me crazy. UT had 2 players in foul trouble pretty quickly in the 2nd half last night. In one of the last two home games there were 3 total fouls called in the first 10 minutes. Then everything was a foul.

For a stretch in the 2nd half versus NCState, every trip UT was getting whistled.

I don’t mind it so much if we are playing more physical defense, but the inconsistent calls between halves drives me crazy. UT had 2 players in foul trouble pretty quickly in the 2nd half last night. In one of the last two home games there were 3 total fouls called in the first 10 minutes. Then everything was a foul.

For a stretch in the 2nd half versus NCState, every trip UT was getting whistled.
I don't mind it either if that is the sole reason. However, it seemed if NC State drove, the whistle was blown. Meanwhile, Knecht attempts to drive and gets blasted and nothing.

Consistency, or lack thereof, is my biggest gripe. It's seems TN gets the quick whistle more often than not.

I don't mind it either if that is the sole reason. However, it seemed if NC State drove, the whistle was blown. Meanwhile, Knecht attempts to drive and gets blasted and nothing.

Consistency, or lack thereof, is my biggest gripe. It's seems TN gets the quick whistle more often than not.
Yep. Lotta touch fouls called in Tennessee yesterday.

There were a couple of times when we were called for fouling and then almost immediately afterwards NCState wasn’t called for fouls in similar looking plays. But Stevie Hamer’s comments were something like we need to attack the rim harder and then when they put up the replay I didn’t see too much contact by NCState on the UT offensive player.

The game is really too fast now for refs to see everything and IMO they are guessing a lot of the time.

1. Another solid resume win, NCST is not a world beater by any means but they’re likely a fringe NCAAT team, and that was played on a neutral court at an absurdly late start time, you’ll take that Q1 win every single day of the week. A lot of aspects weren’t pretty, some guys didn’t have it, some were under the weather, but the guys found a way to get it done and some others stepped up, that’s a sign of a great team.

2. On a night where Dalton Knecht struggled to get anything going it was JJJ who impressed once again and is continuing his stellar play in his final year on Rocky Top. He’s been criticized a lot for not showing up when needed but he was needed last night and he showed up, that was great to see from him. He’s now up to 45% from 3 on the year which is an incredible number for him, he’s getting great looks and taking great shots and you can see the work he’s put in and the confidence both he and his team have in him, he’s also driving to the rim more than we’ve ever seen him do, amazing what a healthy slate can do for you.

3. I thought Zeigler took yet another step in a positive direction, as I said weeks ago you needed old Zakai back and you’d probably just have to deal with some of the rust, it’s felt little by little he’s getting there and last night was the best he’s looked. The shot looked good, he was a pest defensively, he had some great assists, if we wanna nit pick he missed a couple bunnies, but again, last night was the best he’s looked which is a great sign going forward imo.

4. Mashack played another great game, he’s the unsung hero lots of times for us but he’s just so damn good, especially when a team has a player who’s feeling it offensively he just ends it. With JJJ showing more offense it’s allowed Mashack to play alongside him and it not hinder the offensive efficiency, this has allowed Mashack to pull some minutes from Gainey and allowed Mashack some more minutes recently, and deservingly so. He’s finding his role very nicely, getting into the lane when it’s there and hitting that nice little half hook, and then doing what he always has done defensively.

5. I mentioned pregame that I thought Awaka on Burns would be interesting and it was, thought that was a game changer to an extent. Burns was getting going on Aidoo and catching the ball way too close to the basket and getting backed down to where DJ would get to his spot each time, insert Awaka and that ended. He made DJ work much harder which tired him out, forced him to catch it further out which made it easier to dig down on a dribble by a guard and it really frustrated him and pretty much took him out of the game. Tobe also brought great energy and his insane rebound rate, 12 rebounds in 18 minutes, Aidoo had 4 in 26…unfortunately that also comes with fouls and Tobe had 4 fouls in 18 minutes as well. That’s a tough one because you don’t want to hamper his style and effectiveness, but you’re also limited on his minutes because of his foul tendencies, he by far leads all rotational players in fouls/minute.

6. That should pretty much put a bow on the OOC slate, they’ve got 2 games left but likely 20+ point favorites in both, so should be 2 more wins to close it out. Would put Tennessee at 10-3 entering conference play, road win against Wisconsin, home win against Illinois, neutral site against NCST & Syracuse…3 losses being away from home against Top 15 teams, that’s a great start to a NCAAT resume. As I’ve mentioned as well the SEC slate opens up pretty soft so this is definitely a stretch we need to be stacking wins, continuing to figure things out as a team, and building confidence as well.

GBO!!!
Appreciate write up. Solid win against decent team where top 2 point scorers for vols played terrible. JJJ and ZZ were awesome and Mashack continues to be teams best perimeter defender.

Hope vols take next two games to get Freddie some minutes and playing time. Team really needs a second point guard and putting 39 minutes on ZZ's surgically repaired knee every night might be playing with fire.

Mashack might not fill up the offensive stat sheet, but he seems to often come through with the timing of his points. IIRC, it was his basket in the paint that ended a significant scoring drought. And at the free throw line he doesn’t appear to get rattled - his percentage might actually go up when the game is close late.
I'm glad you noted his free throws, Thunder. It seems that he has really been working on them. He seems to have a systematic routine of closing his eyes, taking a deep breath, taking one dribble, and then shooting. When he takes a soft, smooth release, it's almost becoming automatic for him. He is really contributing in so many ways!

I'm glad you noted his free throws, Thunder. It seems that he has really been working on them. He seems to have a systematic routine of closing his eyes, taking a deep breath, taking one dribble, and then shooting. When he takes a soft, smooth release, it's almost becoming automatic for him. He is really contributing in so many ways!

And with his game in general, Mashack really just seems very comfortable. Appears that he is having fun and not being bothered by tense situations. Ice water. He’s enjoying himself.

I feel like a critical factor in the Vols making a deep run will be to get Gainey back on track. I know it seems like our transfer guards always fizzle out, but I believe this guy is a legit scorer. In fact, about 3-4 games in, I thought he was our second best offensive player behind only Knecht. I would love to see him break out.

I feel like a critical factor in the Vols making a deep run will be to get Gainey back on track. I know it seems like our transfer guards always fizzle out, but I believe this guy is a legit scorer. In fact, about 3-4 games in, I thought he was our second best offensive player behind only Knecht. I would love to see him break out.
I hope he turns it around. He was very good against Michigan State and in his first 3 games.

First 3 games: FG % 14-31 for 45.1%
3-pt % 8-18 for 44.4 %

Last 8 games: FG % 23-74 for 31.0 %
3-pt % 11-41 for 26.8 %

His previous history says he can, so hope it happens.

Also, thru the UNC game, he averaged 26 minutes per game. Since then MPG has gone to 20, 17, 14, then 12 against NC State.

I hope he turns it around. He was very good against Michigan State and in his first 3 games.

First 3 games: FG % 14-31 for 45.1%
3-pt % 8-18 for 44.4 %

Last 8 games: FG % 23-74 for 31.0 %
3-pt % 11-41 for 26.8 %

His previous history says he can, so hope it happens.

Also, thru the UNC game, he averaged 26 minutes per game. Since then MPG has gone to 20, 17, 14, then 12 against NC State.
Yep, that's pretty much what I thought. He was lighting it up, and, I can't remember who it was against, but he had a left handed dunk that was just nasty. If he can rediscover his A game, it'll make us a different team.

The refs were determined that this would not be an SEC football game from the git go. NCSU got a million calls in the paint. Once we did the same in 2nd they gave to us as well. Fair IMo, just took us over ½ to figure it out.

GBO!!!

Awaka has the opportunity to finish in the top 10 in career rebounds at Tennessee.

Knecht observation:
Against Purdue and NCSt, he struggled to drive and had turnovers doing so. Barnes likes the "motion drive" offense that utilizes movement and handoffs/short passes but good defense going forward will crash when Knecht tries to drive off that action. It caused him huge problems against NCSt. I expect well-coached defenses (e.g. Ole Miss) will do the same.

The offensive counter is to try pick and roll instead or try to start Knecht on the block. I'd like to see them use that more for him

If Tennessee makes the 6 or so bunnies we missed, that game is a very comfortable win. It’s frustrating to watch that happen every game, every year. If it doesn’t stop, it’s going to cost us in the NCAAT.
Yep, and it's going to cost us in a very competitive SEC this year. I've watched KY and TAMU and don't think we can beat either of them on the road. Like Barnes teams before, this team disappears for 4 or 5 minutes in a game offensively and can't buy a basket. Santi is a 6 year vet. He should be double digits every game. We couldn't even hang 100 pts on GA Southern at home. I see this team being middle of the pack. Hope I am wrong.

Yep, and it's going to cost us in a very competitive SEC this year. I've watched KY and TAMU and don't think we can beat either of them on the road. Like Barnes teams before, this team disappears for 4 or 5 minutes in a game offensively and can't buy a basket. Santi is a 6 year vet. He should be double digits every game. We couldn't even hang 100 pts on GA Southern at home. I see this team being middle of the pack. Hope I am wrong.
I wouldn’t go that far. This is not a middle of the pack SEC team. Right now, I wouldn’t pick Tennessee to win the SEC, but we’ll be in the mix.

But yes, the tendency to miss easy shots, if not corrected, will cost Tennessee down the road.

VN Store

Back