Burrell - Out for the Season

If you want to critique our pass defense fine, but doing it about a specific kid on a thread about him being out hurt for the year from his own fan base is pretty gross. There is a time and place for things and just because you may fully believe what you are saying does not mean you should say it when ever and where ever.
You’re not wrong but I doubt Burrell gives a damn about what message board posters think of him. He would still be the starting corner on this team if not for injury, the team has been worse without him thus far. I would imagine that’s all the endorsement he needs.

May he have a speedy recovery. His being out may not be a complete a negative. Perhaps the alternate, even if a freshman can do a better job. Still, being out cuts into his opportunities for experience to hone his skills. Recover quickly, Warren.

I recall seeing the Vols beat Houston in 1998 in Neyland, and hearing these two loud mouths behind me trashing the Vols secondary numerous times, especially the CBs.

Houston did complete a lot of underneath stuff, and our scheme and coverages seemed content to give that up. The Vols won 42-7.

The game ended, and I finally turned around to tell them playing Secondary is incredibly hard (and I could only imagine how hard it was in FBS college 🏈). But, the guys had left. I was surprised they left so quietly since they complained so loudly all evening.

Recognition is tough as a DB. Often he executes a pass play well, and the QB looks elsewhere, and no one except the coaches notice. Or he can execute well, and still give up a good pass-catch on a good pattern. And tackling quick/fast guys, often bigger, running at full speed is a big chore.

I hope for a quick & complete recovery for Warren, and much success as a Vol in the future!

Red Hot? He literally doubled his passing yards for the year in that game alone. We kind of let him be a little red hot to be honest. He certainly made some good throws, but he was flat out awful before that game. Bama is in two games, so if they haven't figured it out by then I'm not sure what will happen against a reigning heisman QB.
Young will roast our nuts. Torch our bunkies and charcoal our d..ks to dust. But Hooker will score at will.

So now everyone on here that’s been trashing Burrell is going to say this is a huge loss and we need him.
Not really. Him being out doesn't change the fact that even lesser opponents were targeting him. Everyone here wanted him to become a better player.

Just sympathy for the young man in a tough situation.

Red Hot? He literally doubled his passing yards for the year in that game alone. We kind of let him be a little red hot to be honest. He certainly made some good throws, but he was flat out awful before that game. Bama is in two games, so if they haven't figured it out by then I'm not sure what will happen against a reigning heisman QB.
I had not heard that Young was playing. After the game it appeared he would miss multiple games.

Well we saw his replacements play last weekend and they got smoked. Maybe with the off week and this week they can at least get in better position but I think it is what it is for DB. Below average for SEC play.
Yeah... and I wonder how many replacements will face the same fate before some here question whether it might be scheme or playcalling?

Reactions: JohnWardForever
And he gave large cushions when he was playing as well because of lack of speed and poor cover skills. Really frustrating to watch.
He may lack those things but he gave that cushion because it was what he was coached to do in that scheme in certain play calls.

Reactions: DougVol
Yeah... and I wonder how many replacements will face the same fate before some here question whether it might be scheme or playcalling?
Looks like he’s never had a good defense except one year and that’s under multiple different d cords so it may just be the offense is too fast
971D7B74-B224-416C-90FF-4415A0C71E2D.png

Man we are 1 Jabari Greer and 1 Emanuel Mosley from being really good on Defense.

But I wish this young man luck and a speedy recovery.

Looks like he’s never had a good defense except one year and that’s under multiple different d cords so it may just be the offense is too fast
It doesn't have to be great. It just needs to get off the field when it has favorable down and distance. So far, Banks hasn't been great at that. He's much better on 3rd down this year but UT is giving up over 60% of 4th down conversions... and opponents are going for it on 4th down a lot because of UT's O.

You’re not wrong but I doubt Burrell gives a damn about what message board posters think of him. He would still be the starting corner on this team if not for injury, the team has been worse without him thus far. I would imagine that’s all the endorsement he needs.
Starting corner with this group is not a high bar. We need more talent pure and simple and it will take another year or two of recruiting to get it.

We have to pressure the Qb but watch the Qb draw as well. If we come a lot I imagine they will try a lot of designed runs. Got to get some pressure but keep him bottled up and make him throw on the run or feeling things closing in. He isn’t bad but he isn’t super consistent either. Their O-Line has been struggling. Our D should be able to get pressure on him. We have to tackle well and get them in down and distance.

VN Store

Back