Butch Jones Monday Press Conference 10/20

This theme of stubborness has been adopted by some on this board. Can anyone so inclined please help me understand what/where/how is he stubborn?

Dooley was often criticized for naming only execution and player issues as reasons for losses. Butch Jones is not deviating much from this trend however.

Even if Butch just made a comment like "our staff is working daily to figure out best ways to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers" and then actually did a couple I think a lot of the stubbornness talk would be removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Dooley was often criticized for naming only execution and player issues as reasons for losses. Butch Jones is not deviating much from this trend however.

And I guess that's what it's making it disappointing it seems we've been down this road before..

Even if Butch just made a comment like "our staff is working daily to figure out best ways to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers" and then actually did a couple I think a lot of the stubbornness talk would be removed.

Is it possible they are really working on the best ways to get the balls into play maker's hands, AND we don't see it on the field because of other factors?

And I guess that's what it's making it disappointing it seems we've been down this road before..

It does for me because I don't look for a lot from Butch. I think there are comments he could wedge in that would make it sound more holistic/dynamic the efforts they are putting in to get better. For example Butch says he grades coaches every game, he's never once said if they got a good grade.

I love Butch Jones, but I think he is stubborn also. Football is about one on one match ups, this is true. But football is also about making adjustments, so that your opponents have a hard time preparing for you. When you do the same things over and over, and poorly I might add, it doesn't take a genius to come up with a game plan to beat you.

In life, a person has to make some changes in order to expect different results.

What changes exactly would you suggest given an offensive line that cannot run block or allow the QB more than 2 seconds to pass? And, from the play of OL backups, it doesn't appear the answer is changing the starters.

Is it possible they are really working on the best ways to get the balls into play maker's hands, AND we don't see it on the field because of other factors?

I have said this 17 other times and will say it again. If he simply did his post game show the way the other 3 coaches before him did he could address 99.9% of this.

For example on the show he could break down maybe one play like:
"we added this play this week to get X player the ball. Because player Y missed the block it went for negative yardage."
A couple of those type situations every week would be doing wonders. Additionally for a guy set on teaching us about his offense he does jack squat to actually show anyone an actual play and the coaches thought process.

Reactions: 2 people
So if we can't execute the plays that we run all the time, what makes you think we will execute the special surprise type plays that aren't readily called? Bottom line, without a solid o line, any offensive scheme or play call will look amateurish. This group needs to learn to rush block and pass Block the basic plays before we start throwing extra burdens on them. And don't expect that to happen until next season.

We either scheme them into better situations or plan for failure.

Reactions: 2 people
Hats off to Gilliam. Tough kid.

AJ and Sutton are playing like AAs. and are a big reason why our defense is playing pretty well right now.

Just about everyone on the defense is playing like an AA right now. Jordan Williams is another one that seems to be playing out of his mind right now.

Scheme who into better situations?

I would say most notably the entire offense.

1. When you need .3 yards on 4th and inches don't line up I and then handoff into the backfield with a crap line.
  2. Don't wait until UTC to have Worley run or if he was supposed to be running all along don't tell us we don't know the offense and that Worley hasn't had many opportunities to run.
  3. Don't do a double reverse against the land sharks.
  4. Stop with the slow developing handoff in general, especially if you refuse to address the second bullet. I mean seriously who is that putting in a good position???

Reactions: 5 people
Why aren't we throwing it to Wolf? Except the first play of the game, which was successful, nothing. Is he hurt, in trouble, or what?

Why aren't we throwing it to Wolf? Except the first play of the game, which was successful, nothing. Is he hurt, in trouble, or what?

As best I can tell the TE is being kept in to block more often than not.

I have said this 17 other times and will say it again. If he simply did his post game show the way the other 3 coaches before him did he could address 99.9% of this.

For example on the show he could break down maybe one play like:
A couple of those type situations every week would be doing wonders. Additionally for a guy set on teaching us about his offense he does jack squat to actually show anyone an actual play and the coaches thought process.

He could. But, why should he? I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative. Why should he discuss specific plays and specific players? Would that let the proverbial "cat outta the bag" for our opposition?

It does for me because I don't look for a lot from Butch. I think there are comments he could wedge in that would make it sound more holistic/dynamic the efforts they are putting in to get better. For example Butch says he grades coaches every game, he's never once said if they got a good grade.

I wouldn't publicize the grades either. Thats a horrible idea.

Reactions: 3 people
He could. But, why should he? I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative. Why should he discuss specific plays and specific players? Would that let the proverbial "cat outta the bag" for our opposition?

Why? Because it would indicate a complete approach to our issues. As far as the cat being out of the bag? I'm not sure it does us any good if it's dead in the bag after we beat it on the same plays over and over.

I think most of us on the board know that CBJ sticks to his message lines. In my opinion, he inherited the Vols at its worst point in a long time, perhaps its worst point in history, even worse than what Johnny Major inherited from Bill Battle in 1977. CBJ talks much about what he is doing as being a process and it is. We can either support him or not. it is seeming like more people are not supporting him as the inevitable grind of the SEC with its heavyweights on every Saturday is playing out. Or perhaps, there are just too many trolls on this board; I don't know.

I look for messages from CBJ about where we are in the process and not necessarily his responses to the questions he gets. For me, much of what he is asked is redundant. He is consistent in providing the same answers to the same questions.

My expectations for this year was 5-7 or possibly if things fell into place, 6-6. Given the schedule, I thought 6-6 was a high and possibly achievable goal. Duh statement time. It still is a goal and will be a goal until it cannot be. Our early game success, especially with the defense, pushed expectations unrealistically. Still, I felt there would be days when the youth of the team would not perform as well as they could and other days they would play over their heads. And by that, I mean play over their heads from an experience perspective. Didn't see much preseason discussion about the bugaboo that seems to hit the Vols, injuries. The injury issue can only be overcome with second and third players at a position who are as good as the ones that start. We are not there yet. What is the answer, recruiting. Expressing an opinion on this board is often like putting yourself in front of a firing squad since it seems to be the thing to do to differ with and belittle people with opinions different than their own. It should go without saying that there is also coaching that gets us there sooner. It does not get us there - it gets us there sooner. That issue is a lightening rod on this board. I'm prepared to wait until the end of the season to judge what CBJ might refer to as the "coaching body of work."

My two cents worth on Adams is his modus operandi is to incite his readers which he is good at doing He is selling ink. Fortunately it is still a free country so I can ignore him which I choose to do. If no one reads him or discusses him, he won't have a job long. In mentioning him, I know I am violating my own principle of ignoring him; I deliberately have not read an Adams article since 2008. This is the only time I will mention him on here. Adams may be right or wrong on some of things he says; I just greatly dislike his style of writing.

So, in CBJ's coach speak, the next play is the most important play and the only one you have any control over. Without being trite about the next opponent who has been and will always be the most important game on the schedule for me, what more can be said. I will be there on Saturday. Early. I will be loud. I will be there for the entire game regardless of what happens. Period. I will support Team 118.

Win or lose, I will always support the Vols with all the strength I have. I cannot believe it has been 32 years since 1982. We can't stop believing in Team 118. Go Vols! Beat bama!

Reactions: 12 people
I wouldn't publicize the grades either. Thats a horrible idea.

Try this:

"I told our coaches too that we have items to address to get our players in positions to win. I grade the entire team and while everyone is trying we know from the losses we need to keep working to find the answers"

Vague but also specific to the entire team including coaches being part of the solution.

Why? Because it would indicate a complete approach to our issues. As far as the cat being out of the bag? I'm not sure it does us any good if it's dead in the bag after we beat it on the same plays over and over.

That's just it, DD. We don't know if it is a complete approach because we aren't privy to all the goings on. Partially because of our ignorance some of us have taken to calling him stubborn. Makes no sense.

Can someone please forward a link to this thread to Butch Jones?

Our head coach needs our help, guys!

We have some brilliant football minds on here, and I bet he and Bajakian would be very thankful for the opportunity to learn from some of the best in the business.

Try this:

Vague but also specific to the entire team including coaches being part of the solution.

It is vague. What if you stated that (or a similar variation) every week? So much so, that fans like me started calling you on your cliches and vagueries? You may mean it with every cell in your body but it just isnt satisfying the fans. What then?

That's just it, DD. We don't know if it is a complete approach because we aren't privy to all the goings on. Partially because of our ignorance some of us have taken to calling him stubborn. Makes no sense.

From what we have seen on the field in their play calling they seem to be dogmatic with their scheme. I don't believe I am alone on that idea. You are right though we have no idea what they are doing behind the scenes.

VN Store

Back