Butch Jones starting a new Game Day Tradition this year at LP Field.

I like the idea celebrating Coach Neyland. It's good for the programs prestige if this introduces more people to our history and gets a lot of hits on Neylands wiki page.seems like it would be really hard to pull off with that many people. Might work better to just have the team doing them on the jumbotron. Or have a different VFL each game come back and recite them on the jumbotron

Maybe we could have the General stand at midfield à la Tupac at Coachella and recite them himself.

Reactions: 2 people
Wish we could replace the Cheerleader - Orange...White and the fading away chant of "it's great to be a Tennessee Vol" chant before the band takes the field. The opposing fans in the stadium are louder than the UT fans during it and take advantage of the opportunity: "I say it's great... to be... a Florida gator, great to be... an Auburn tiger, etc..."

Reactions: 1 person
How about instead of reciting all the Maxims before the game. We could recite them at certain times through the games, maybe at appropriate times related to what is going on, like right before we kick off after scoring a touchdown.. example:

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

or this one at the start of the 4th quarter:

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Just a thought..

Not a fan of this well-intentioned idea -- otherwise, Did General Neyland ever have the fans recite the maxims? I don't know.

Just continue to ensure the Player's maxim's translate into W's/success on the field as purposed, and the fans, the players, the staff, the program, the department, the institution and the STATE of TENNESSEE should be well served. Vol walk, the band, the T, Rocky Top are solid and ample # of traditions, so it seems. Let's renew our tradition of winning some games against Florida and Alabama and all the other necessary W's will follow.

That's kind of a long stretch to say every Maxim at the beginning of the games. Why not yell a single one in order for each home game?

GBO!!!

Our football team used to do this as well (with Neyland's maxims in fact.) The first few times, the people who are new to it don't say anything so you can see the speed that certain group does it, then after we figured it out, it worked. Have 100,000 people (or less really) who have no idea how specific speakers want to say this is the dumbest thing you can do.

Terrible idea. The maxims need to be retired, frankly. Put them on a sign in the locker room and on a wall in the indoor complex, but reciting them nowadays is fairly lame. They're very old and they sound very old.

So, we should stop a decades old tradition of reciting maxims that are still relevant and hold true because they "sound old"? Stupid.

here is how you make the Maxims work.

Only do one per home game.

On the Jumbotron...Have a VFL recite that game's maxim, and make that VFL relevant to that maxim. For Example, "Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made." would be read by Jeff Hall.

After the game's maxim is read have a video montage showing highlights from UT's history relevant to that game's maxim. For example, "Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made." would have footage of punt/kickoff returns, blocked kicks, really long field goals...etc.

Reactions: 4 people
Hey coach, have your players load up on tailgate cooking and about a fifth of Jack Daniels and then recite the maxims. Let me know how it goes.

7 is a lucky number. I'm all in!!!

jack-daniels-old-no-7-7.gif

OK, OK. Here it is. I got it. New tradition. Beat Bama, UGA, and Fla. in the same year. If that don't work, just say "whip dey azz" 7 times rapidly. Sorry in advance. haha.

here is how you make the Maxims work.

Only do one per home game.

On the Jumbotron...Have a VFL recite that game's maxim, and make that VFL relevant to that maxim. For Example, "Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made." would be read by Jeff Hall.

After the game's maxim is read have a video montage showing highlights from UT's history relevant to that game's maxim. For example, "Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made." would have footage of punt/kickoff returns, blocked kicks, really long field goals...etc.

Jeff Hall was awesome. Those were the good ole days right before everything started taking a nosedive. Would love to have another kicker on Jeff's level.

With the high production values they usually have in their videos, I'd rather see something playing on the jumbotron where one of our standout players recites a maxim, followed by some high energy highlights that feature execution of it. Rinse and repeat for each of the seven. Fade in "Seven Maxims, One Tennessee" and call it a day.

Last edited:
With the high production values they usually have in their videos, I'd rather see something playing on the jumbotron where one of our standout players recites a maxim, followed by some high energy highlights that feature execution of it. Rinse and repeat for each of the seven. Fade in "Seven Maxims, One Tennessee" and call it a day.

This is a pretty good idea. It has to be done quickly though with everything going on pre-game. The other videos listed are great but too long.

The band's pregame show is like 15 mins long. Are they doing this before that, during or cutting the band out?

VN Store

Back