‘23 CA QB Jaden Rashada

Rumor is he signed an NIL deal with the LifeWalet guy at Miami, then flipped to Florida and signed an NIL there. The Miami guy sent the family a bill for breach of contract, and the Rashadas asked for more money to pay off Miami. Floridas collective balked at the new request, and it caused the rift between the player and the collective.
Recruitments that are this dramafied, typically dont end well for the recruit in terms of a successful college career

Passion will never go away, regardless if a poor kid who has tremendous talent and gives everything they have to a University gets paid a few 100k.
It's not the 100k that bothers me and I could compromise with that. It's the 7 digit figures for a kid that's never played a college down. An NFL 6th round pick makes less than 4 million over 4 years. No way a HS kid should make more than someone in NFL, but I could be in a minority and I'm sure I'll adjust some day. Someone mentioned that it will settle down in a few years and I hope so.

The reported number at Miami was $9million over 4 years for Rashada, then UF offered $13million over 4 years to flip him. I know we have a continent on VN that says pay this kid and that kid what they want, but this is why you don't get into bidding wars. It's also why you don't overvalue any individual player. This is why you let mercenaries go elsewhere. NIL is part of the game now, but it's not THE game. It can and will destroy some programs if they let it. I've been very impressed how our collective and sports programs have handled it so far.
Bidding that much on a kid that's never played a collegiate snap is even more bothersome

Bidding that much on a kid that's never played a collegiate snap is even more bothersome
There’ll be quite a few cautionary tales before it corrects itself…and it will. The collectives who do it right benefit in positive advertising every time another punks out. Universities will cut off clowns who make them look like jokes by association.

Last edited:
How about this. Universities across the country already have the infrastructure in place for managing a team. Have college football be a farm club for professional teams. Single A, double A etc, determined by the record of the team like relegation in soccer. The professional team is a co-owner of the college team, and provides a salary to the players. The college provides the facilities and a portion of the salary. For that service the university collects a significant percentage of the profits. Students/players have the option of having a free education as part of the schools contribution. From the college’s point of view the team is a completely separate business investment.
I’ve always thought it was unfair that an athlete could not pursue his/her profession unless they are academically gifted enough to attend a university.
Recruiting would be the responsibility of the school with guidance from the pro team. Students could choose a college of their choice, but would be obliged to play some seasons with the associated pro team.
Many details to work out.

How is it different than paying a first round draft pick guaranteed money in the NFL?
That didn't make any sense either, hence the rookie wage scale.

And notice the "market" didn't correct that problem in the NFL. That was only fixed by a CBA... which there is no mechanism for in CFB.

So I definitely don't see the numbers going down. I see them going up if anything. But... Not my money so meh.

And notice the "market" didn't correct that problem in the NFL. That was only fixed by a CBA... which there is no mechanism for in CFB.

So I definitely don't see the numbers going down. I see them going up if anything. But... Not my money so meh.

Is there a rookie wage scale? I don’t follow the nfl or draft that much anymore. I remember years ago there being a lot of grief over what the first overall pick in the draft made. Think Sam Bradford was guaranteed a ridiculous amount. But I could be remembering wrong.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, I have vague knowledge of players being paid by their slot/where they’re picked.

$13 million for a 4 star… I think it says a lot about Napier.

Napier or Florida ain’t paying him. It seems to be a disconnect between UF’s collective(s) and the recruiting department.

As for the wider NIL debate, the idea that money will ruin the sport may have a little validity but in my view is mostly archaic thinking. The transfer portal is doing as much to that end as anything.

We simply couldn’t continue the wink wink under the table payments of a few grand. At least this way it’s somewhat transparent. These kids have the opportunity to make a little something, or a lot in some cases, to help their families rather than a bunch of suits getting rich on their hard work (regardless of what’s put into the classroom being a college athlete is hard work), and then lecturing them on how lucky they are to be getting free education. Yuck.

I also believe NIL contains a sort of cycle of self-motivators. The more you stand out on the field, the more you work to be an impact player, the higher your earning potential becomes. I don’t necessarily buy the argument that teams can buy championships, or at least that they can any easier than before. Didn’t we just watch TCU play for a natty?

The collectives are a good way to get this done, and auspiciously for us Tennessee has been a pioneer school in this arena. The NIL era and Josh Heupel both arriving at the same time has been a perfect storm for us and our success.

This way, those that want to contribute to Spyre and the like can, and those that don’t can sit back and pine for the good old days. Is it fair to hard working students in their respective fields of study? Maybe not. But these athletes are uniquely gifted. Something like 80,000 kids play NCAA football, and a fraction of that Division 1. Isn’t this the free market finally rewarding rare ability? Vestiges of unfortunate times are finally being corrected within the game. Hate to take it there but it needed to be said. NIL might not be the most efficient way to do it, a better way may come along soon. But for now I don’t mind it. And lucky for us Tennessee got out in front in a big way.

Is there a rookie wage scale? I don’t follow the nfl or draft that much anymore. I remember years ago there being a lot of grief over what the first overall pick in the draft made. Think Sam Bradford was guaranteed a ridiculous amount. But I could be remembering wrong.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, I have vague knowledge of players being paid by their slot/where they’re picked.
Sam Bradford was the last and most egregious example before the CBA was redone.

And if I remember right, there was a lot of support for changing it from the owners and the players. And that makes a level of sense. You had rookies eating up cap space from guys in the league that had actually proven themselves.

And I think that will generally be the case here too. I think it will pay better to be a highly rated high school player than a proven CFB player, generally. With one time free agency it may not play out that way I guess.

Then compare actual apples. Shoe companies used to dish out contracts to any draftable player with a pulse. Now you need that extra something to get paid. Teams are under pressure to pay up for anyone that can affect their win/loss record which affects coaches and executives EMPLOYMENTS. Companies that pay out megamoney for mediocre marketability dish out their own pink slips. It'll correct itself when they lose enough of their own money.

All the money schools are bringing in made it impossible for it to continue the way it was.
💥 BOOM !!! I hate what it’s come to - but THIS exactly ! Is a pro baseball/football player, etc, REALLY worth all that money ??? Considering it’s those “few” players that basically fill the stands with $BILLIONS$ … well I guess a few million here and there is a small price. I vote for free hot dogs and reduced ticket prices 🤔

Rumor is he signed an NIL deal with the LifeWalet guy at Miami, then flipped to Florida and signed an NIL there. The Miami guy sent the family a bill for breach of contract, and the Rashadas asked for more money to pay off Miami. Floridas collective balked at the new request, and it caused the rift between the player and the collective.
If this is the case then the player has violated the contract. I would side with Florida if the kid has changed the terms. We need the full story here.

How about this. Universities across the country already have the infrastructure in place for managing a team. Have college football be a farm club for professional teams. Single A, double A etc, determined by the record of the team like relegation in soccer. The professional team is a co-owner of the college team, and provides a salary to the players. The college provides the facilities and a portion of the salary. For that service the university collects a significant percentage of the profits. Students/players have the option of having a free education as part of the schools contribution. From the college’s point of view the team is a completely separate business investment.
I’ve always thought it was unfair that an athlete could not pursue his/her profession unless they are academically gifted enough to attend a university.
Recruiting would be the responsibility of the school with guidance from the pro team. Students could choose a college of their choice, but would be obliged to play some seasons with the associated pro team.
Many details to work out.
I have an easier solution. Colleges force athletics out into a farm league and get into the business of providing education. You have to ask just how important is the education part any way? Let the NFL develop a farm league of its own like Major League Baseball has. They could provide an educational benefit if kids want to go to school after their career. That would be the best way for kids to see what their real value is.

Reactions: NashvilleFan
I have an easier solution. Colleges force athletics out into a farm league and get into the business of providing education. You have to ask just how important is the education part any way? Let the NFL develop a farm league of its own like Major League Baseball has. They could provide an educational benefit if kids want to go to school after their career. That would be the best way for kids to see what their real value is.
They presently have a stage that nets them billions of dollars. The presentation that convinces them to forfeit that has to beat the socks off anything Don Draper pitched on Mad Men.

There’ll be quite a few cautionary tales before it corrects itself…and it well. The collectives who do it right benefit in positive advertising every time another punks out. Universities will cut off clowns who make them look like jokes by association.
I can see him ending up with a much lower deal somewhere else. It ends up being a cautionary tale as you mentioned that results in less going back and forth and instead signing good but perhaps not best possible deals and sticking with them (ie Nico)

Reactions: butchna
I don't think anybody is giving a 4* QB recruit $13M to sign with a school. Someone has just thrown that number out there without any proof.
I would hope your right but whatever the amount was it apparently either couldn’t be delivered or they wanted to change it. It’s a bad look for Florida no matter what happened.

Reactions: Batman1948
There’ll be quite a few cautionary tales before it corrects itself…and it will. The collectives who do it right benefit in positive advertising every time another punks out. Universities will cut off clowns who make them look like jokes by association.
This right here! GBO

VN Store

Back