Caleb Calhoun calls out Holly Warlick

My big gripe is the lack of passion the girls are playing with - it seems to go right back to Holly

Passion is "a will to fight for and work for success""

You can fight, out of fear or you can fight out of preparation... Right now we are fighting out of fear. ,,We are "pushing back, instead of pushing forward"

Teams that answer (matchups, strategies, tempo's),,, instead of dictating them, most often are at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 person
It’s highly unlikely that Holly reads any of the opinions posted on this forum. Even if she is aware of the criticism leveled at her on VolNation, it’s unlikely that she pays any heed to it. That’s why it’s important for articles like this one to appear in the mainstream media where the general public is exposed to what both the pundits and the majority of fans think of her level of coaching. Only when she is called out publicly for her foibles will the wheels of regime change be set in motion. That makes his article worthwhile. The once-proud Lady Vols have lost their luster on the basketball stage and Holly has made it abundantly clear that she is not the one to restore it.

Good points.

Only when she is called out publicly for her foibles will the wheels of regime change be set in motion. That makes his article worthwhile.

This has bothered me for a while. The Vols football team was expected to win the East this season and fell short. Butch is CONSTANTLY questioned and ridiculed by the media. Holly, who didn't inherit near the mess the football coach did, has drug the Lady Vols down to what will likely be the worst two year period in program history and is rarely called out for it. I just don't understand why she is treated with such kid gloves by the local media. I guess if it ain't football, it doesn't really matter....

Reactions: 6 people
Where was Caleb Calhoun when Holly Warlick was hired WITHOUT so much as a coaching search? I'll take a stab at it ... groveling at her kneecaps like all the rest.

I have no respect for journalistic cowards who do little more than pile on when someone is weakened. Anybody can get keyboard muscles when the team is collapsing and Auburn runs you outta the gym by almost 20! Where was the depth of your wisdom, Caleb, when everyone was fawning over our successor?

Boom. This.

And who the hell is Caleb Calhoun?

Reactions: 3 people
I keep hearing the same old excuses, we got a short bench and we get tired, well so do a lot of teams and many seem to pay well without a pile of excuses. Texas A&M and Kentucky do not have the star studded players we have, and they have very short benches, however, they get in there and fight. Genno only plays with eight players, however, they appear to do fine. Yes our players get tired, however, they rarely play at the level of their talent for a full four quarters. Many games, they appear to thrown in the towel in the second quarter and everything goes down hill from there.

Reactions: 2 people
The casual fan doesn't know much about basketball or even team sports in general. It's easy for people like that to make excuses. For those of us who played basketball at a competitive level or played competitive team sports, MOST of us know (or should know) that this team is inexcusably inconsistent because of poor coaching. MOST of us know the value of a good coach.

Generally speaking, coaching is THE most important part of a program because good coaching can take average players and make them seem excellent. Poor coaching can take elite talent and make it look mediocre like we have in our losses to Auburn and all our other losses.

When you have two coaching staffs that are equally matched, THEN it's up to the players. But, because we have such a poor coaching staff, just about EVERY game we play will be in doubt because we are essentially ALWAYS unprepared.

Reactions: 4 people
Perhaps I'm just out of the basketball loop, but who is Caleb Calhoun, and what qualifies him as a basketball guru?

Yes you're out of the loop.

Caleb Calhoun is the author of the article.

In the article he doesn't claim to be a 'basketball guru'

Where was Caleb Calhoun when Holly Warlick was hired WITHOUT so much as a coaching search? I'll take a stab at it ... groveling at her kneecaps like all the rest.

I have no respect for journalistic cowards who do little more than pile on when someone is weakened. Anybody can get keyboard muscles when the team is collapsing and Auburn runs you outta the gym by almost 20! Where was the depth of your wisdom, Caleb, when everyone was fawning over our successor?

I, for one, haven't liked the Warlick hire for one minute. She had no experience. She wasn't even top assistant for most of her career at UT prior to being named head coach--she was the second assistant. I'm sure the diehards were excited by her hire, because she was a FOP, etc.--but anybody who knows basketball could see pretty quickly--from her interviews and the way the team often played (and still plays)--that she is way out of her depth. I think 90 percent of us can agree she was a poor hire--as it has just prolonged our mediocrity.

Reactions: 5 people
I, for one, haven't liked the Warlick hire for one minute. She had no experience. She wasn't even top assistant for most of her career at UT prior to being named head coach--she was the second assistant. I'm sure the diehards were excited by her hire, because she was a FOP, etc.--but anybody who knows basketball could see pretty quickly--from her interviews and the way the team often played (and still plays)--that she is way out of her depth. I think 90 percent of us can agree she was a poor hire--as it has just prolonged our mediocrity.

We are well aware you were against the hiring of HW as HC from the get go, but thanks for reminding us for the 10,582,236 time. I mean really...THANKS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
We are well aware you were against the hiring of HW as HC from the get go, but thanks for reminding us for the 10,582,236 time. I mean really...THANKS!

On the clock 10,582,236 and counting.

With all seriousness I hope that the LVS continue to win and display some fun basketball.

If Holly is successful I am happy for her and the team. I'm definitely not wanting her to fail, just for her to do a good job so the fan base can be all on the same page. If that is to happen YEAH! If not then she's on that clock.

GOLadyVols!:)

On the clock 10,582,236 and counting.

With all seriousness I hope that the LVS continue to win and display some fun basketball.

If Holly is successful I am happy for her and the team. I'm definitely not wanting her to fail, just for her to do a good job so the fan base can be all on the same page. If that is to happen YEAH! If not then she's on that clock.

GOLadyVols!:)

That is perfectly put.

I will go one further, I want to help Holly succeed. The only way for Holly to succeed is for the girls to succeed...Coaches are judged by their team's place at the end of the season.

:detective:

Yes history is littered with examples where schools have chosen loyalty to program over pragmatism, when it comes to following a big name. Gene Bartow replacing John Wooden and Bruiser Flint in for John Calipari at UMass come to mind immediately... They were nothing like their predecessors when it came to what made Wooden and Calipari great. So I do not necessarily blame the UT administration for the hire, especially when she was Pat's choice.

Where I pull my hair out is with the contract extension she was given. Oh well

That is perfectly put.

I will go one further, I want to help Holly succeed. The only way for Holly to succeed is for the girls to succeed...Coaches are judged by their team's place at the end of the season.

:detective:

Thank you coach! I'm sincere with my thoughts on CHW. I'm a bit anxious though for the game against Florida because you know the LVs are so inconsistent one never knows which team will show up.

I'm hoping for a win! I'd prefer that than rippin' Holly a new one. It's getting old & tiresome especially knowing that she ain't going anywhere anytime soon regardless of the losses. :crazy:

GOLadyVols beat Florida!

VN Store

Back